5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine has been blowing cold for the last few months.
The few times it didn't, it was computer related and resolved itself after restarting the truck.
While not instant cold like my son's base model Tacoma, after a couple of minutes it has been fine even here in the Houston high heat & humidity.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I live in Central California. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Tradman and been very happy with the a/c. View attachment 63664 View attachment 63665
I hate to say it, kinda looks like the luck of the draw. Some of us have poor performing systems, some OK, and others do real well. Sloppy QC on FCA's part, who would have thought. The coldest my AC gets has been 47.2 out rear center console. Stays in the 50's center. BUT FCA not gonna do ne thing cause it is within specs... Grrrr... OH well, I can always do the hack in AUgust when temps here stay over 100 consecutively.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I hate to say it, kinda looks like the luck of the draw. Some of us have poor performing systems, some OK, and others do real well. Sloppy QC on FCA's part, who would have thought.
Mine needed Freon the first time I took in for something else and mentioned that it wasn't cooling.
It was low from the factory, so I'd take it in and have it looked at if you haven't already.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys have me paranoid about my refrigerant level now, so next time it goes in, I will ask that it be checked. However, mine is definitely above adequate. It has been mid-90s at least every other day for the past week or two, many times with high humidity, and the truck has provided more than adequate A/C power to cool down the cab after 5 minutes or less.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I always laugh when those same members refuse to post a pic of their objectively verifiable vent temp. Instead going with the "it's good enough for me" so there obviously isn't a problem. RamCares has acknowledged the issue, so the deniers can just enjoy their membership in the Flat Earth Society.
So, everyone that is happy with their Ram AC is a member of the flat earth society? Are you on a campaign to make every Ram owner or potential Ram owner convinced that all Rams are deficient? Or are you just unhappy that not everyone is as unhappy as you?

First the claim that the DT AC system can't deliver in the 40s. Then I submit a photograph of 47-48 F and at least one other has shown theirs in the forties. Now, unless everyone who is happy or satisfied with the DT AC submits a photograph with a meat thermometer stuck in a vent, they must be attacked for being in possession of mental dissonance. What's next? Having the pictures notarized? I've become suspicious. Maybe someone should ask you to prove that you really own a Ram truck at all?

Your assertion that ALL DTs have this problem is based on wholesale rejection of any evidence to the contrary. We get that your unhappy and that others are as well. But not everyone is unhappy, and that should not be a reason to hurl insults at people for not joining you and others in the harangue against Ram.

Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036478 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So, everyone that is happy with their Ram AC is a member of the flat earth society? Are you on a campaign to make every Ram owner or potential Ram owner convinced that all Rams are deficient? Or are you just unhappy that not everyone is as unhappy as you?

First the claim that the DT AC system can't deliver in the 40s. Then I submit a photograph of 47-48 F and at least one other has shown theirs in the forties. Now, unless everyone who is happy or satisfied with the DT AC submits a photograph with a meat thermometer stuck in a vent, they must be attacked for being in possession of mental dissonance. What's next? Having the pictures notarized? I've become suspicious. Maybe someone should ask you to prove that you really own a Ram truck at all?

Your assertion that ALL DTs have this problem is based on wholesale rejection of any evidence to the contrary. We get that your unhappy and that others are as well. But not everyone is unhappy, and that should not be a reason to hurl insults at people for not joining your and others in the harangue against Ram.

Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036478 miles.
^^^ 100% Bang on ^^^

turkeybird56

Reaction score
You guys have me paranoid about my refrigerant level now, so next time it goes in, I will ask that it be checked. However, mine is definitely above adequate. It has been mid-90s at least every other day for the past week or two, many times with high humidity, and the truck has provided more than adequate A/C power to cool down the cab after 5 minutes or less.

DO NOT BE paranoid. If yer system cooling (AC) OK, U prob really OK. U can always have it checked on a next scheduled visit, no reason fer emergency all hands on deck and dash to the dealership. All IMHO.................

Nibis

Reaction score
Why is that?
In auto, I don't know what temp low is, but at some point, it will start blending in some outside air, or from the heater core side, just seems to get colder on the regular A/C

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DO NOT BE paranoid. If yer system cooling (AC) OK, U prob really OK. U can always have it checked on a next scheduled visit, no reason fer emergency all hands on deck and dash to the dealership. All IMHO.................
Forums tend to do that...i.e. make you worry about things that aren't broken!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Forums tend to do that...i.e. make you worry about things that aren't broken!

Amen to that. I went through the same pattern with my 2014 when I first bought it, combing through the 4th gen sections of various forums.

These forums also tend to hurt my wallet a lot, with all the mods and upgrades people show off. :ROFLMAO:

PostPremium

Reaction score
No problems with my AC. It's been 90's in GA and I bought it last summer when it was in the 90's and it has always cooled down my truck like I would expect . No I have not checked the temperature at the vents and I don't have a gauge or desire to do so. It feels every bit as cold as my 2019 Ford company vehicle and the Tahoe I traded to buy the Rebel. It sucks some of you have this problem but it's not everyone.
You also probably pee sitting down. :)

Your assertion that ALL DTs have this problem is based on wholesale rejection of any evidence to the contrary. We get that your unhappy and that others are as well. But not everyone is unhappy, and that should not be a reason to hurl insults at people for not joining you and others in the harangue against Ram.

Dusty
The flat earth comment was a joke - relax amigo. Unlike you, most that say their AC is adequate do not post vent/outside temps. Thanks for giving us something to put your opinion in context. The truth is, RamCares has acknowledged the issue and that a fix is in the works. That's all I need to know as to whether a problem exists.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
You also probably pee sitting down. :)

The flat earth comment was a joke - relax amigo. Unlike you, most that say their AC is adequate do not post vent/outside temps. Thanks for giving us something to put your opinion in context. The truth is, RamCares has acknowledged the issue and that a fix is in the works. That's all I need to know as to whether a problem exists.

The one fix they came out was a TSB in Feb 2019 for trucks built Jan-Sep 2018 ref blend doors and actuators. I posted the TSB in post # 430. I had it done. May have changed the actions of the doors, doubt did much for temps... lol....

PostPremium

Reaction score
The one fix they came out was a TSB in Feb 2019 for trucks built Jan-Sep 2018 ref blend doors and actuators. I posted the TSB in post # 430. I had it done. May have changed the actions of the doors, doubt did much for temps... lol....
RamCares said they have a part in development to fix the issue. So it appears to be more than that TSB.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I don't understand your reply to my post at all. You that mad your truck is broke and mine isn't? This thread was started asking for people who aren't having a problem with their a/c. Some aren't and some people cant accept that apparently. Grow up.

PostPremium

Reaction score
I don't understand your reply to my post at all. You that mad your truck is broke and mine isn't? This thread was started asking for people who aren't having a problem with their a/c. Some aren't and some people cant accept that apparently. Grow up.
Chillax hombre. Just ribbing you. Super jelly if your Ram's AC performs better than what I've experienced. Maybe I expect too much from a 70k truck.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
RamCares said they have a part in development to fix the issue. So it appears to be more than that TSB.
LMAO< U believe them? U a beta man then me Gunga Din. Would be interesting to know this was actually happening and a date when completed and available, and whether we as consumers gonna have to pay to do or FCA gonna do, but guess that is just me........

Users who are viewing this thread