5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s all in perspective. I’m pretty happy with mine. There are variables,

With all due respect I have to disagree, in most cases its perspective from those that claim they think theyre AC works pretty good. Confirmed AC temps that hover at or over 50 degrees is not by all industry standards acceptable or considered a properly functioning system. And all new vehicles are using 1234Yf Freon so thats not an acceptable excuse either. My buddy and coworker just bought a new GMC 1500 and his AC blows 38 degrees at idle in our work parking lot, another buddy and coworker has a brand new F150 and it blows 40 deg at idle in our work parking lot. The two of us with 2020 Rams blow 52-53 deg at the same outside temp in the exact same conditions. Thats a 13-15 deg disparity between the Ram and its competitors n our small circle. These aren’t temps based on my perception of what it feels like to me, these are actual vent temps taken with the same thermometer at the same temps parked side by side in the 90 + degree sun. Ram can put out all the new AC parameter documentation it wants to make the inferior AC performance acceptable but there wouldnt be 10.000 posts on this forum about the AC sucking or many youtube videos about the AC sucking if there wasnt an issue that is immediatley obvious to new Ram owners.

Last edited:

Majortom

Reaction score
I live in Houston. The temp at the vent, set to max, on 100 degree day is 50. Move the thermometer 3 and 4 feet from the vent, after 15 minutes on the road, the ambient temperature hovers around 67-69. That’s with the fan speed at its highest setting.
For every other car I own, and have owned (F-150, M35 (owned 3), Accord, Grand Prix, Riviera...), the temp at vent is/was 5-8 degrees lower, ambient temp around 5 degrees lower, and am/was able to run the fan at a lower speed and/or on bi-level to maintain the lower temperature making for a more comfortable, quieter cabin.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1234 is not a refrigerate, is part of the problem. And not every manufacturer is using 1234. I will agree, I’ve been in 4th gen rams running the same and definitely feels cooler. Granted, I’m working outside most of those times so again.....
30% transfer/temp change is a generic spec but pretty much across the board. It’s not great,

Regardless, I agree with the unhappy owners & poor performing systems on 5thgens. Definitely something that can be improved on.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is all perspective, unless the testing procedure outlined by FCA demonstrates that the output temperature doesn't meet or exceed specifications. You can argue all day long that the specs suck or that GM is colder or that everyone should be able to put ice cubes out of the vents, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is if the system functions the way the specs say it should function and if you are happy with that output. Arguing that people who are happy with their AC are uninformed is just plain stupid. I'm happy with my AC, I have no idea what the vent temperature is nor do I care. I have been around HVAC for many years and I suspect that the temps meet specs, and do not feel as cold out of the vents as some other vehicles but the truck feels fine to me after a few minutes.

There's a well documented hack for this that those who are unhappy with their temperatures can do. If I wanted colder air I'd just do that and go on my way. I don't get what is hoped to be accomplished by hollering for everyone to stick thermometers in their vents. A class action lawsuit? A march on Paris (or wherever Puegeot is headquartered) demanding colder air? JC the only thing anyone talks about in here now is AC. I will be glad for winter so only half the people complain :D

dmodem

Reaction score
It is all perspective, unless the testing procedure outlined by FCA demonstrates that the output temperature doesn't meet or exceed specifications. You can argue all day long that the specs suck or that GM is colder or that everyone should be able to put ice cubes out of the vents, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is if the system functions the way the specs say it should function and if you are happy with that output. Arguing that people who are happy with their AC are uninformed is just plain stupid. I'm happy with my AC, I have no idea what the vent temperature is nor do I care. I have been around HVAC for many years and I suspect that the temps meet specs, and do not feel as cold out of the vents as some other vehicles but the truck feels fine to me after a few minutes.

There's a well documented hack for this that those who are unhappy with their temperatures can do. If I wanted colder air I'd just do that and go on my way. I don't get what is hoped to be accomplished by hollering for everyone to stick thermometers in their vents. A class action lawsuit? A march on Paris (or wherever Puegeot is headquartered) demanding colder air? JC the only thing anyone talks about in here now is AC. I will be glad for winter so only half the people complain :D
Hold the phone. On my $63k Limited, both Ram and my dealer agreed there was a problem. The compressor, temperature sensor, and refrigerant were all swapped, but the A/C is still sub-par. I've literally had 100+ vehicles over the years, and I've never had an A/C issue that wasn't remedied from a recharge. The fact that Ram's shi%%$ A/C performance's output is only remedied by an Amazon valve or Harbor Freight clamp is fuc&%%^ rididulous when we've given them $45 - $65 thousand dollars.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hold the phone. On my $63k Limited, both Ram and my dealer agreed there was a problem. The compressor, temperature sensor, and refrigerant were all swapped, but the A/C is still sub-par. I've literally had 100+ vehicles over the years, and I've never had an A/C issue that wasn't remedied from a recharge. The fact that Ram's shi%%$ A/C performance's output is only remedied by an Amazon valve or Harbor Freight clamp is fuc&%%^ rididulous when we've given them $45 - $65 thousand dollars.
Well I don't get what you are saying. Are you agreeing with me? If the system doesn't meet the service manual specs, then yes you have a problem just like I posted. I assume that's the case if all these people are agreeing with you. If the system does meet service specs - if it does, why would a service manager say there's a problem? - then it is perspective just as I said.

What exactly does sub-par mean? Does it meet service specs according to the service specs or not?

dmodem

Reaction score
Well I don't get what you are saying. Are you agreeing with me? If the system doesn't meet the service manual specs, then yes you have a problem just like I posted. I assume that's the case if all these people are agreeing with you. If the system does meet service specs - if it does, why would a service manager say there's a problem? - then it is perspective just as I said.

What exactly does sub-par mean? Does it meet service specs according to the service specs or not?
Prior to being repaired, it would blow 64 - 68 degrees in 90+ weather. After the repairs, it now blows 58, which as I mentioned, is sub-par not only for Ram's elevated specs but for any vehicle I've owned. Until Ram acknowledges a system flaw, repeated dealer visits are futile.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This controversy has been based on some peoples dissatisfaction with the AC performance on DT Rams and others stating they are completely satisfied with the performance.

Some Ram detractors have taken the position that those who are satisfied must be biologically insensitive to the actual temperature output and insist that those satisfied still have a system not delivering to specifications, or to a competing vehicle. But that position is pure conjecture since few of us have actually verified the output temperature. Further, those who are satisfied may in fact have a system operating to specification and see no reason to perform a temperature check. Their satisfaction does not invalidate their intelligence, their opinion, or their particular vehicles AC system to perform.

There appears to be a flaw in testing the Ram AC performance, both in statements made on this subject here and in the TFL video. I may be cross breeding some comments because there are at least two threads on this subject, but there have been a couple of posts mentioning how some find the AC getting so cold that it must be turned down as the vehicle is being driven. I experienced this myself this past weekend, to the point where I actually switched the AC off a couple of times during the drive.

Unfortunately I did not have the AC thermometer with me, but it got me to thinking about the other comments similar to what I was experiencing. I've tested mine to 48F on a 90 degree day, which exceeds Ram specs. That test was performed at idle speed, which is NOT what the test procedure calls for:

A/C PERFORMANCE TEST

WARNING:
Review the warnings and cautions for this system before performing the procedure. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious injury or death.

NOTE:
When connecting the service equipment coupling to the line fitting, verify that the valve of the coupling is fully closed. This will reduce the amount of effort required to make the connection.

NOTE:
The work area ambient temperature must be above 21°C (70°F) and the evaporator temperature must be above 13°C (55°F) prior to conducting the A/C Performance Test.

1. Conduct the HVAC PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE found within the HVAC Standard Procedures (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) . If no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are found in the HVAC module, Body Control Module (BCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM), depending on engine application, go to Step 2. If any DTCs are found, repair as required, then proceed to Step 2.
  2. Connect a tachometer and a manifold gauge set or an A/C recycling/charging station.
  3. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
    • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  4. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.

NOTE:
    This procedure requires the technician to know what the temperature and relative humidity is at the time of the test. The temperature must be combined with the relative humidity to calculate the apparent ambient temperature ("feels like" temperature), when the temperatures are above 21°C (70°F). Use the current ambient temperature and the relative humidity in your location. This information can be obtained from multiple sources, such as the internet or local news media.
  5. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
    A/C PERFORMANCE TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE
    Ambient Air Temperature (Apparent)
    21°C
    (70°F)​
    27°C
    (80°F)​
    32°C
    (90°F)​
    38°C
    (100°F)​
    43°C
    (110°F)​
    Air Temperature at Center Panel Outlet
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    18°C
    (64°F)​
    Compressor Inlet Pressure at Service Port (low Side)
    138 to 207 kPa
    (20 to 30 psi)​
    172 to 241 kPa
    (25 to 35 psi)​
    207 to 276 kPa
    (30 to 40 psi)​
    241 to 310 kPa
    (35 to 45 psi)​
    276 to 345 kPa
    (40 to 50 psi)​
    Compressor Discharge Pressure at Service Port (High Side)
    1034 to 1724 kPa
    (150 to 250 psi)​
    1379 to 2068 kPa
    (200 to 300 psi)​
    1724 to 2413 kPa
    (250 to 350 psi)​
    1999 to 2689 kPa
    (290 to 390 psi)​
    2413 to 2965 kPa
    (350 to 430 psi)​
  6. See the A/C System Diagnosis table if the air outlet temperature fails to meet the specifications in the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart, or if the A/C compressor discharge pressure is high.
So with the engine turning over at driving speeds, the system may in fact be meeting or exceeding Ram specifications, thus explaining why others are not complaining about AC performance.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036094 miles.

turkeybird56

Reaction score

Well, fer chits and giggles, I did mention to my SA and Dealership. Yup, AC performance not as great as a lot of other systems. Of course, got the: Performing to specs. I know betta than to expect Ice Cubes. Had a 68 Cutlass, could have been a meat locker, but alas.. I got the TSB done for the Blend/Actuator door issues on the MY 19 trucks with build dates between Jan-Sep 2018, seemed to help am lil with "distribution". Just per topic, I do not own a meat thermometer, LOL.... I still really enjoy riding in my truck, I guess each to their own, LOL. Have a Great Day.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prior to being repaired, it would blow 64 - 68 degrees in 90+ weather. After the repairs, it now blows 58, which as I mentioned, is sub-par not only for Ram's elevated specs but for any vehicle I've owned. Until Ram acknowledges a system flaw, repeated dealer visits are futile.
OK, well if it is blowing 58 in accordance with the testing specs that Dusty posted above, your system is still not meeting specifications. It shouldn't have been returned to you under those conditions.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
OK, well if it is blowing 58 in accordance with the testing specs that Dusty posted above, your system is still not meeting specifications. It shouldn't have been returned to you under those conditions.

YEAH, but getting the dealerships to square up, hmmmm, may be a lost cause depending what FCA is saying,., and of course $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ always the thang...especially if FCA says systems R OK, ref payback money for service, cause PPL should know, dealerships make a killing on approved services...

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to send PM, maybe not enuf posts yet. NE way, do U clamp all the way down or partially to allow some fluid to flow?????
All the way down! I personally opted to install a valve but the clamps work. IME if flow of hot coolant is not completely stopped It defeats the purpose because of the design flaw in the blend doors. It would be interesting to have a guy like you update what your temps are after clamping.

dmodem

Reaction score
100% correct, and when the repairs were done at the end of last summer, Ram closed the STAR case until I could replicate the issue for the dealer, but since hot weather was over in PA by then (and since I know they have no legitimate fix), I've used the Harbor Freight clamp this year. Ridiculous.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
100% correct, and when the repairs were done at the end of last summer, Ram closed the STAR case until I could replicate the issue for the dealer, but since hot weather was over in PA by then (and since I know they have no legitimate fix), I've used the Harbor Freight clamp this year. Ridiculous.

Gotta Luv the Favorite Dealership Phrase: "Unable to Duplicate"................

ramhead

Reaction score
1234 is not a refrigerate, is part of the problem. And not every manufacturer is using 1234. I will agree, I’ve been in 4th gen rams running the same and definitely feels cooler. Granted, I’m working outside most of those times so again.....
30% transfer/temp change is a generic spec but pretty much across the board. It’s not great,

Regardless, I agree with the unhappy owners & poor performing systems on 5thgens. Definitely something that can be improved on.

No offense but you're wrong...1234yf IS a refrigerant and is being used in a majority of all newly manufactured vehicles from nearly all the manufacturers. And as was posted above, some have experience in other vehs. using it and it is blowing cold with no issues. This is a RAM screw up of huge proportions....probably part blend door and other issues (improper calculations/testing, etc.).

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is an old picture from an old post. #644 on the AC Performance thread. Ambient temp outside according to the truck was 83*. Set it to A/C at 70* and checked the air with a Thermopop. Was getting 50* out of the vent.This was stationary though. You can see my sunshade still in the front window. It gets colder when I drive. Almost to the point of being uncomfortable. I pretty much always keep it at 70* Auto.

295DEC9E-0289-4388-BC81-D4536BD494D9.jpeg

Sucks all you guys are having issues but so far I've been very happy with my AC performance.

Users who are viewing this thread