5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No offense but you're wrong...1234yf IS a refrigerant and is being used in a majority of all newly manufactured vehicles from nearly all the manufacturers. And as was posted above, some have experience in other vehs. using it and it is blowing cold with no issues. This is a RAM screw up of huge proportions....probably part blend door and other issues (improper calculations/testing, etc.).
Easy tiger, I’m sorry your having issues with your truck. That sucks hard, especially when you pay the money you have. I’m not against you on what you say or arguing that your truck doesn’t have a issue, it definitely seems to.
No per 1234, it is one carbon molecule off of propane. If it was it would have R in front of it & be in the refrigerate family. It is a made compound that has qualities of changing form liquid to gas form with BTU transfer capabilities with a low potential to explode/fire causing.

ramhead

Reaction score
Easy tiger, I’m sorry your having issues with your truck. That sucks hard, especially when you pay the money you have. I’m not against you on what you say or arguing that your truck doesn’t have a issue, it definitely seems to.
No per 1234, it is one carbon molecule off of propane. If it was it would have R in front of it & be in the refrigerate family. It is a made compound that has qualities of changing form liquid to gas form with BTU transfer capabilities with a low potential to explode/fire causing.

Actually my truck is ok under normal circumstances but with the clamp it's perfect (esp. when temps hit 90 or higher). Doesn't change the fact that other vehicles using the same REFRIGERANT (yes "R "1234yf is one and has an R in front of it...see below) are blowing ice cold or much colder than RAM trucks. That would only seem to strongly indicate an improperly calculated or under designed AC system by RAM - which they'll never admit to as it would result in a massive recall/fix. Don't know why but it seems you are more bent on defending RAM and their stupid decision/design process vs. seeing it for what it is and accepting A LOT of guys with these trucks are having AC issues....much more than other makes which are using the same exact refrigerant.

"R1234yf is a synthetic HFO refrigerant co-developed by DuPont and Honeywell as a successor to R134a for automotive air-conditioning applications."

KcRay

Reaction score
I think it's a given, that Ram AC specification parameters on these new trucks are so crappy. They put out the specs to meet the crappy design, and people are buying it. I wonder, are there other manufacturers tell you 50 degrees is within specification?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, no I’m not defending ram. Appreciate all time and energy you have put into this subject thank you.

KcRay

Reaction score
I don't dislike my Ram at all. These are absolutely, great trucks, but is not raining on my foot!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the specs from my 2001 Pathfinder:

50-60% humidity, recirc, center vent:
77 outside, 43-48. 86, 50-56. 95, 65-67. 104, 73-81.

60-70,,% humidity, recirc, center vent:
77 outside, 48-54. 86, 56-63; 95, 67-75. 104, 81-90.

Here are the specs from my 04-15 Titan:

50-70% relative humidity, recirc, center vent:
77 outside, 47-55; 86, 55-62; 95, 62-70; 104, 73-83.

So if you look at the Ram chart, 95 degrees with 60% humidity feels like 110, which FCA says should be 64 from the vent. Better than the Pathfinder (67-75) and about even with the Titan (62-70).

I think it's a given, that Ram AC specification parameters on these new trucks are so crappy. They put out the specs to meet the crappy design, and people are buying it. I wonder, are there other manufacturers tell you 50 degrees is within specification?

Last edited:

KcRay

Reaction score
Here are the specs from my 2001 Pathfinder:

50-60% humidity, recirc, center vent:
77 outside, 43-48. 86, 50-56. 95, 65-67. 104, 73-81.

60-70,,% humidity, recirc, center vent:
77 outside, 48-54. 86, 56-63; 95, 67-75. 104, 81-90.

Here are the specs from my 04-15 Titan:

50-70% relative humidity, recirc, center vent:
77 outside, 47-55; 86, 55-62; 95, 62-70; 104, 73-83.

So if you look at the Ram chart, 95 degrees with 60% humidity feels like 110, which FCA says should be 64 from the vent. Better than the Pathfinder (67-75) and about even with the Titan (62-70).
Thanks for the research, I stand corrected, and perplexed. Why would a manufacturer not give you access to the full potential of the system?There is such a dramatic affect in vent temperatures, when stopping the hot coolant from getting to the core.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the research, I stand corrected, and perplexed. Why would a manufacturer not give you access to the full potential of the system?There is such a dramatic affect in vent temperatures, when stopping the hot coolant from getting to the core.
Not sure about that. My HVAC guy that does my rental properties says that getting too close to low temperatures can cause ice on the condensor (along with dirty filters and a build-up of moisture if the evaporator doesn't drain right). Maybe the concern is that putting it too close to that level might result in icing. I looked at 3 other service manuals that I had - Kia Soul, Mazda Miata, and Jeep TJ Wrangler - and they are all about the same as Ram at ambient (feels like) 110 degrees.

My own personal suspicion, other than an actual fault - not enough/too much coolant, blend door, etc - is that what you feel coming out of the vents is going to be a combination of the size of the cabin, the speed of the fan, the location of the recirculation intake, and any "features" of the vehicle like dual-zone climate. My Kia Soul feels about the same as the Ram. My Nissan Titan, when it was working properly, was colder than either. My Miata has excellent cold temps out of the vents just by feel, but the cabin is tiny and despite the constant cold feel the cabin never feels cold if I am running it without the hard top because of the lack of insulation in the soft top and back window.

KcRay

Reaction score
Not sure about that. My HVAC guy that does my rental properties says that getting too close to low temperatures can cause ice on the condensor (along with dirty filters and a build-up of moisture if the evaporator doesn't drain right). Maybe the concern is that putting it too close to that level might result in icing. I looked at 3 other service manuals that I had - Kia Soul, Mazda Miata, and Jeep TJ Wrangler - and they are all about the same as Ram at ambient (feels like) 110 degrees.

My own personal suspicion, other than an actual fault - not enough/too much coolant, blend door, etc - is that what you feel coming out of the vents is going to be a combination of the size of the cabin, the speed of the fan, the location of the recirculation intake, and any "features" of the vehicle like dual-zone climate. My Kia Soul feels about the same as the Ram. My Nissan Titan, when it was working properly, was colder than either. My Miata has excellent cold temps out of the vents just by feel, but the cabin is tiny and despite the constant cold feel the cabin never feels cold if I am running it without the hard top because of the lack of insulation in the soft top and back window.
The reason I had the idea to put a shut off valve in the heater hose of my Ram; from 1992 till 2015 I drove tractor trailers for a living. Every big truck I ever drove, including the brand new 2015 peterbilt I drove, had a hot water shut off valve, (typically I would get a new truck every two years). Also did, and still do, some heavy equipment operation. All have hot water shut off valves. Home HVAC is a very different animal. The master technician, in charge of the refrigerated containers where I work, (the ones that can hold temps to -30 or so) said he sees no problems in doing what I'm doing. Another member here said, when they lived in United Emirates, it was very common as well.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
All the way down! I personally opted to install a valve but the clamps work. IME if flow of hot coolant is not completely stopped It defeats the purpose because of the design flaw in the blend doors. It would be interesting to have a guy like you update what your temps are after clamping.

OK, here is temp, taken at the Rear Center Console Vent. Truck was parked in town, supermarket 40 minutes. Came out, and drove 7 miles to house. Stopped by gate, revved the engine a lil, turned and took pic of Thermometer. THIS is Stock Truck, no clamp, no valve. Not the greatest, but tolerable. Front vents be 2 to 7 degrees warmer. Of course, system works better when going down road and more air hitting system, as opposed to idle. I do have a clamp in truck console to use, if it gets too hot, maybe for August when temps stay over 100 for days on end...

temp rear vents.jpg Uconnect temp.jpg

Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve driven mine for almost two years and 31k miles. I have no ac issues at all. We have just had a very hot and humid stretch of weather with heat indexes near 100deg and it blows cold and keeps the cab comfortable.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I had the idea to put a shut off valve in the heater hose of my Ram; from 1992 till 2015 I drove tractor trailers for a living. Every big truck I ever drove, including the brand new 2015 peterbilt I drove, had a hot water shut off valve, (typically I would get a new truck every two years). Also did, and still do, some heavy equipment operation. All have hot water shut off valves. Home HVAC is a very different animal. The master technician, in charge of the refrigerated containers where I work, (the ones that can hold temps to -30 or so) said he sees no problems in doing what I'm doing. Another member here said, when they lived in United Emirates, it was very common as well.
My guess is that the warm coolant routing is used to provide a localized heat source for creating the dual-zone climate control. I don't see how else I could have "Lo" on my side of the truck and my wife has "76" on the passenger side. Maybe what Ram should have is a way of disabling dual zone climate control in the Uconnect settings for those that don't need it, with a solenoid valve that does what everyone that has an objection is doing with clamps and valves.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.

Mine does. I actually have to raise the temp to cut it back.

yellowboy

Reaction score
So took mine in yesterday for AC and had a couple of other issues. It was staying in entry exit mode and the voice command button was not working. They told me I need a new radio/head unit and that will fix everything - including the air !! I doubt it will make the air cooler ???? See you back here in about 2 weeks !

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.

Mine works pretty good. I wouldn’t say “ice cold” on a 95 degree day especially when stopped, but I definitely stay very comfy. Once I get moving I actually have to turn it up warmer after a few minutes. I have Auto dual zone and it starts out in LO with the recirculating turned on, then I eventually crank it up to 70 and it maintains it just fine. 2019 Bighorn built in summer 2019.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
My guess is that the warm coolant routing is used to provide a localized heat source for creating the dual-zone climate control. I don't see how else I could have "Lo" on my side of the truck and my wife has "76" on the passenger side. Maybe what Ram should have is a way of disabling dual zone climate control in the Uconnect settings for those that don't need it, with a solenoid valve that does what everyone that has an objection is doing with clamps and valves.

WELL, when I took MY 19 in for the TSB that I found, they flashed the HVAC module. I have a decent SA and Dealership, guess lucky. Was explained that the modules and blend doors etc are of course controlled by temp sensors and actuators, and the software on the 1st trucks out (mine is a 4-2018 build), was faulty. SO after flash, to be honest, I see no difference. BUT, I am a widow and no one sits in the PAX side for a comparison, I just set the dual ATC to synch control ne way. My GSD and Boxer boy were happy when they ride in back, LOL....

WHY I posted the temp in post # 430. Neva gonna be a meat locker like the earlier GM's, but be OK. And even though I have the clamp in the console, have not done yet for a comparison...Gonna repost the TSB here just fer giggles for info...

Attachments

• 00000000c0f0936e.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 17

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many have asked for numbers from those that have "comfortable" trucks, so I captured a few this morning. I've done this once before, but...why not.

For context, my truck "feels" like it cools well, and I prefer temps in the upper 60s or low 70s. We routinely see highs in the triple digits in mid-summer here in north Texas, but our humidity levels are typically moderate. Full disclosure: I used a nearly-new digital meat thermometer—not a scientific instrument, but reasonably accurate and the best option I had on hand ;)

Ambient conditions this morning:
  • Temp = 88 F
  • Humidity = 58%
  • Dew point = 72 F
  • Accuweather "RealFeel" = 100 F sun / 93 F shade
  • Full sun (no cloud cover) during testing
  • Sunroof and sunroof shade closed
  • 90% concrete roadways
  • Driver seat ventilation on low
I started with my summer default settings; climate control was set to Auto, 70 F:
  • Driver center vent temp at "cold" startup in garage = 83 F (ambient temperature in garage)
  • Driver center vent temp 15 seconds after start = 67 F
  • Driver center vent temp 1 min after start = 58 F
  • Driver center vent temp 2 min after start = 50 F
  • Average driver center vent temp 2-5 min after start = 48-50 F
I then changed to "Max A/C" on the highway:
  • Driver center vent temp averaged 51 F on 10-mile stretch of highway at 73 mph (varied between 50-53 F)
  • I was a little uncomfortable (cool in a T-shirt, noisy) after 5 min due to high air velocity.
  • Truck exterior temp read up to 93 F on the highway (sunny concrete, moderate traffic)
  • Driver center vent temp exiting highway = 49 F
Parked, filled up with gas (maybe 10-min stop), reset A/C to Auto, 70 F, and experimented with probe locations:
  • Cabin temp at center console (near cupholders) on restart = 77 F
  • Cabin temp at same position 1 min after restart = 77 F <<< I was a little surprised this wasn't changing more quickly, but it wasn't in the vent path.
  • Cabin temp 12" from driver side vent of center stack, about 6" directly in front of me = 69 F <<< I finally understood why I felt comfortable.
  • Cabin temp 12" from driver side vent near door, about 6" in front of me = 72 F <<< Not bad; that side was in full sun.
Finally, because we know the passenger side vent of the center stack typically blows colder air than the driver side, I ran a couple of tests there.
  • Passenger center vent temp = 44-45 F (Auto, 70 F)
  • Passenger center vent temp = 42-43 F (Auto, 70 F driver / 72 F passenger)
No wonder my wife gets so cold! She's getting vent temps in the low 40s, even if her side is set a little warmer than mine.

So...what did I learn:
  • My truck's A/C supplied vent temperatures between 48-53 F out of the driver side center vent—averaging around 50 F on Auto.
  • Using "Max A/C" felt cooler due to high air flow velocity, but the vent temperatures were (understandably) not quite as good, averaging 51 F on the driver side....and the fan was loud, too.
  • The cabin temperature at my seating position was almost exactly what I asked for, i.e. I specified 70 F and saw temps of 69 F (my right) and 72 F (my left).
  • The passenger side vent was blowing colder air the whole time, dipping as low as 42 F on Auto. There's obviously a system imbalance, perhaps an issue with the often-mentioned blend doors or a result of duct geometry.
  • Auto was comfortable for me at all times, achieving desired cooling with much lower fan speeds. And it makes sense that the combination of desired cabin air temperatures (at seating positions) plus air movement from the vents plus seat ventilation delivers expected performance for me and a "cold" experience for my most frequent passenger.
Hope this information is useful.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Many have asked for numbers from those that have "comfortable" trucks, so I captured a few this morning. I've done this once before, but...why not.

For context, my truck "feels" like it cools well, and I prefer temps in the upper 60s or low 70s. We routinely see highs in the triple digits in mid-summer here in north Texas, but our humidity levels are typically moderate. Full disclosure: I used a nearly-new digital meat thermometer—not a scientific instrument, but reasonably accurate and the best option I had on hand ;)

Ambient conditions this morning:
  • Temp = 88 F
  • Humidity = 58%
  • Dew point = 72 F
  • Accuweather "RealFeel" = 100 F sun / 93 F shade
  • Full sun (no cloud cover) during testing
  • Sunroof and sunroof shade closed
  • 90% concrete roadways
  • Driver seat ventilation on low
I started with my summer default settings; climate control was set to Auto, 70 F:
  • Driver center vent temp at "cold" startup in garage = 83 F (ambient temperature in garage)
  • Driver center vent temp 15 seconds after start = 67 F
  • Driver center vent temp 1 min after start = 58 F
  • Driver center vent temp 2 min after start = 50 F
  • Average driver center vent temp 2-5 min after start = 48-50 F
I then changed to "Max A/C" on the highway:
  • Driver center vent temp averaged 51 F on 10-mile stretch of highway at 73 mph (varied between 50-53 F)
  • I was a little uncomfortable (cool in a T-shirt, noisy) after 5 min due to high air velocity.
  • Truck exterior temp read up to 93 F on the highway (sunny concrete, moderate traffic)
  • Driver center vent temp exiting highway = 49 F
Parked, filled up with gas (maybe 10-min stop), reset A/C to Auto, 70 F, and experimented with probe locations:
  • Cabin temp at center console (near cupholders) on restart = 77 F
  • Cabin temp at same position 1 min after restart = 77 F <<< I was a little surprised this wasn't changing more quickly, but it wasn't in the vent path.
  • Cabin temp 12" from driver side vent of center stack, about 6" directly in front of me = 69 F <<< I finally understood why I felt comfortable.
  • Cabin temp 12" from driver side vent near door, about 6" in front of me = 72 F <<< Not bad; that side was in full sun.
Finally, because we know the passenger side vent of the center stack typically blows colder air than the driver side, I ran a couple of tests there.
  • Passenger center vent temp = 44-45 F (Auto, 70 F)
  • Passenger center vent temp = 42-43 F (Auto, 70 F driver / 72 F passenger)
No wonder my wife gets so cold! She's getting vent temps in the low 40s, even if her side is set a little warmer than mine.

So...what did I learn:
  • My truck's A/C supplied vent temperatures between 48-53 F out of the driver side center vent—averaging around 50 F on Auto.
  • Using "Max A/C" felt cooler due to high air flow velocity, but the vent temperatures were (understandably) not quite as good, averaging 51 F on the driver side....and the fan was loud, too.
  • The cabin temperature at my seating position was almost exactly what I asked for, i.e. I specified 70 F and saw temps of 69 F (my right) and 72 F (my left).
  • The passenger side vent was blowing colder air the whole time, dipping as low as 42 F on Auto. There's obviously a system imbalance, perhaps an issue with the often-mentioned blend doors or a result of duct geometry.
  • Auto was comfortable for me at all times, achieving desired cooling with much lower fan speeds. And it makes sense that the combination of desired cabin air temperatures (at seating positions) plus air movement from the vents plus seat ventilation delivers expected performance for me and a "cold" experience for my most frequent passenger.
Hope this information is useful.

WHY I posted temps in entry # 430. Rechecked temps with digital meat thermometer. My temps close to wat SPEEDY posted. Truck stock, not running clamp. My front vents fluctuated between 50-57 when parked. My center rear vent when idling and revving a lil sometimes made it down to 47.2, explains why the doggies always happy, LOL. Since I just had the TSB done, seems like both sides in front close to the same. But the AC not constant, up and down when idling, a lot better when moving and more air pushing. I almost always leave it on AUTO with temp set at 61 degrees.

SPEEDY" Yer Hot return clamped??? I am not presently but gonna do and recheck temps sometime this weekend.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WHY I posted temps in entry # 430. Rechecked temps with digital meat thermometer. My temps close to wat SPEEDY posted. Truck stock, not running clamp. My front vents fluctuated between 50-57 when parked. My center rear vent when idling and revving a lil sometimes made it down to 47.2, explains why the doggies always happy, LOL. Since I just had the TSB done, seems like both sides in front close to the same. But the AC not constant, up and down when idling, a lot better when moving and more air pushing. I almost always leave it on AUTO with temp set at 61 degrees.

SPEEDY" Yer Hot return clamped??? I am not presently but gonna do and recheck temps sometime this weekend.
No clamp for me...just Auto set at 70.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, I just picked up the September 2020 issue of Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide (ISSN 1530-3267) and in the rating for 2019 Ram 1500, under category Climate System, the Ram has a Dark Green* symbol, meaning "much better than average."

*Models that score a DARK RED DOT are not necessarily unreliable, but suffer a higher rate of problems than the average model. Similarly, models that score a DARK GREEN DOT are not necessarily problem-free, but had relatively few problems compare to other models. Because problem rates in some trouble spots are very low, we do not assign a DARK RED DOT or an ORANGE DOT unless the model's problem rate exceeds 3 percent. If a problem rate is below 2 or 1 percent, it will be assigned a LIGHT GREEN or a DARK GREEN DOT respectively.

Climate system problems reported to CR appear to be 1% or less of the reporting population for 2019 Ram (DT) 1500.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036282 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread