5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

thenrich

Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.

thenrich

Reaction score
Today I rode in my 2017 ZL1, my wife's 2017 Jeep limited and my father's 2016 f150. It was 89 and they all spit out freezing air.

I think your response is what I feared. It's 'good enough'

It's been proven has nothing to do with the coolant with the hack many are using.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Today I rode in my 2017 ZL1, my wife's 2017 Jeep limited and my father's 2016 f150. It was 89 and they all spit out freezing air.

I think your response is what I feared. It's 'good enough'

It's been proven has nothing to do with the coolant with the hack many are using.
Mine’s often too cold for too long when I get it out in the morning. This has been discussed many times before, but the system takes a very, very long time to become “aware” of ambient temperatures on a cold start...but the blower starts right away, and almost always at the wrong temperature for current conditions. Fortunately, I’m not typically parking outdoors during the day.

thenrich

Reaction score
Mine’s often too cold for too long when I get it out in the morning. This has been discussed many times before, but the system takes a very, very long time to become “aware” of ambient temperatures on a cold start...but the blower starts right away, and almost always at the wrong temperature for current conditions. Fortunately, I’m not typically parking outdoors during the day.
So when the vehicle is hot does the AC cool down the cabin appropriately?

Cravenschild

Reaction score
Mine definitely isn’t as ice cold as I am used to, but it feels more comfortable in my truck after getting ceramic tint on everything but the sunroof!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience is the truck is shaded it will freeze me out. It’s out in sun all day and have family in truck it takes awhile. Horrible, no not where I live. Can’t complain yet. True test is to come in next few months though

thenrich

Reaction score
I'm suppose to take delivery Monday. I'll probably postpone to consider what legal options I have. Maybe try and back out. Sounds like a widespread design flaw. The new ram taken out by faulty AC

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I got mine in the fall 2018 so I haven't had a need for a/c below 69f setting, but I know I use "auto" setting and the air is not cold cold.. when it's set to the actual "a/c" setting it's colder. I will defiantly find out this summer in Texas and update for sure

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So when the vehicle is hot does the AC cool down the cabin appropriately?
So far, yes. I’m waiting for full-on summer to arrive here in Texas, but it’s done the job to date. I exclusively use the “Auto” setting and adjust the desired temp between 69-72, depending on ambient conditions.

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
I can honestly say I’ve read many of the stories about the poor air conditioning , but have yet to ever notice it in my truck. I’m not a very AC dependent person, so maybe it’s just me.

James1414d

Reaction score
Mine does good, unless it's hot and the sunroof curtain isn't closed. Only speaking of after it's been parked for awhile in the sun.

I know the R1234yf isn't as efficient as R134. It is supposedly more eco-friendly however.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Mine is consistent around 44 degrees. Located in sunny Dallas, TX.

Yay! Real data from one of those thermo-meter dohickeys! :)

43-44F is the best I have seen from the center vents when its around 90F+ outside as well - and that is with the heater core clamped off at the pump.

I have a couple of other cars in the driveway to test and they'll consistently produce air in the mid 30s.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"...I think it has to do with the new eco refrigerants they are using that just arn't as good."

Negative. That notion has been discussed months ago here on 5thgenrams, including supporting source links that refute the notion you raise.

The industry has been using the "eco refrigerants" for many, many years, FCA was one the first to switch over completely.

There are small differences in performance between the previous-generation AC system refrigerants, good and bad with both, but on the whole, the new "eco refrigerant" works just as well as the previous generation. The AC system designers modified their mechanical and fluid system designs slightly, including slightly enlarging the evaporator and condenser heat exchangers, and as a result there is no performance deficit inherent in the new systems running the new "eco refrigerant". In fact at introduction, Ram claimed something on the order of a 15+% improvement in cooling capacity of the 2019 1500 over the 2018 1500 (both use the same "eco refrigerant")

This is CLEARLY a problem with heater-core engine coolant circulation control, and/or air-diverter "blend door" control as well.

There are already a number of existing threads on AC performance, for cohesiveness perhaps the OP for this thread could have added it to an existing thread on this long-running topic - that way a lot more 5thgenrams posters would have seen it, as most receive an email when anyone at all posts to an existing thread.

Here is but one such thread, there are others: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/a-c-performance.605/

Jtc411

Reaction score
I’ve noticed no issues. Was 92 here today and it got cold enough that I set it at 68 and was comfortable. Feb 2019 build

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.
My AC is Blows Arctic Cold Air that will throw your hair back.. Best AC I have ever had in any vehicle... I have a Longhorn

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my a/c experience:

If I have less than a 15-20 minute drive on a 90° + day I must opt for windows down because I can't cool my cabin quick enough. I have not tried the thermometer test because I know in my own subjective analysis it is not cold enough. It's a bad look when I have to explain to passengers I have to have windows down to cool the cabin off. Rear passengers are particularly affected by this a/c problem because it takes even extra time to cool that area.

thenrich

Reaction score
Negative. That notion has been discussed months ago here on 5thgenrams, including supporting source links that refute the notion you raise.

The industry has been using the "eco refrigerants" for many, many years, FCA was one the first to switch over completely.

There are small differences in performance between the previous-generation AC system refrigerants, good and bad with both, but on the whole, the new "eco refrigerant" works just as well as the previous generation. The AC system designers modified their mechanical and fluid system designs slightly, including slightly enlarging the evaporator and condenser heat exchangers, and as a result there is no performance deficit inherent in the new systems running the new "eco refrigerant". In fact at introduction, Ram claimed something on the order of a 15+% improvement in cooling capacity of the 2019 1500 over the 2018 1500 (both use the same "eco refrigerant")

This is CLEARLY a problem with heater-core engine coolant circulation control, and/or air-diverter "blend door" control as well.

There are already a number of existing threads on AC performance, for cohesiveness perhaps the OP for this thread could have added it to an existing thread on this long-running topic - that way a lot more 5thgenrams posters would have seen it, as most receive an email when anyone at all posts to an existing thread.

Here is but one such thread, there are others: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/a-c-performance.605/

I realize there are many threads on the subject. I was merely trying to draw out those owners that felt they did not have an issue. I was hoping to an overwhelming majority of owners that indicated 'no problems here. AC works great.' Instead what I'm finding is owners that are simply living with a problem and not really saying anything. Which is fine but really doesn't solve the problem.

To be clear, it appears the AC on the 2019 ram simply does not meet market expectations. In fact it appears every car on the road with AC out performs the 2019 ram with respect to cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/