5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

ac1dd

Reaction score
I don't see where anyone is trying to justify anything. You want the air to come out of the vent like a refrigerator. It's not going to happen. That doesn't mean that the system doesn't work the way it was intended. And you don't have to put a clamp on the hose; you are doing it because you want refrigerator air. If like most people you are happy with 40-50 degree temps out of the vent - a number that will go down the longer the system is running - then you don't need to do anything.

Actually there is a "nominal" temperature that has tended to be a standard throughout the automotive industry for many years now. Usually right around 40-42 F at all vents when A/C is on Max, on recirc, running for 30 minutes at idle in 95 F ambient temp with over 50% humidity. This is across all makes and models as well. This is where most folks have a decent level of comfort from the AC system.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually there is a "nominal" temperature that has tended to be a standard throughout the automotive industry for many years now. Usually right around 40-42 F at all vents when A/C is on Max, on recirc, running for 30 minutes at idle in 95 F ambient temp with over 50% humidity. This is across all makes and models as well. This is where most folks have a decent level of comfort from the AC system.
Thanks for that info. That’s not what many of us are experiencing.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.
This Ram cools much more consistently compared to the 2016 Corvette Z06 convertible I just sold (gave away). Both auto climate control. The Corvette would blow hot air out of the vents for about 20 or 30 seconds every 15 or 20 minutes while driving. No fix for it. I kept both at 73 and 74° and never messed with it.
My JKU Jeep doesn't have auto climate control so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Gusman4

Reaction score
I don't think the clamp trick proves there's any problem - it only proves that it's possible that the temperature coming out of the vents can be lower than it currently is. Whether that's because of the way it's designed, a software bug/flaw, or a mechanical flaw has not really been determined. And I don't think it will ever be determined unless someone can speak to the engineer(s) that designed the HVAC system for the Ram.

As long as the system is doing two things it is working: removing humidity from the air and lowering the air temperature across the coils. The temperature drop is what everyone is affecting with the clamp trick, but even without the clamp people are registering 45-55 degree temps out of the vents, which means there's a significant temperature drop across the unit. So there's really nothing for FCA to fix, because effectiveness and level of comfort is largely subjective. For me, the AC works fantastic. But I don't live in South Texas, and perhaps I would find it insufficient there - I can't say. I can't disagree with lots of people who don't find the AC system as effective as other vehicles, because that's entirely possible, but that still doesn't mean the system doesn't work as intended.
[/QUOTE/]
You my friend are the definition of a fan boy! You should work in the service department your excuses seem to fit.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha! I'm no fan boy of any vehicle. I spent almost 20 years with Nissan before I came to buy this Ram. I just don't get whiners and complainers. Life is too short to spend it bitching online about things that are not going to change. The AC works. No amount of crying about it is going to convince the rest of us that have suitable AC that it doesn't work. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you should go get something else. Unless your goal in life is just to be a whiny *****, in which case carry on soldier :D(y)

Differia

Reaction score
Ha! I'm no fan boy of any vehicle. I spent almost 20 years with Nissan before I came to buy this Ram. I just don't get whiners and complainers. Life is too short to spend it bitching online about things that are not going to change. The AC works. No amount of crying about it is going to convince the rest of us that have suitable AC that it doesn't work. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you should go get something else. Unless your goal in life is just to be a whiny *****, in which case carry on soldier :D(y)

Nobody is putting a gun to your head and making you read these threads.
No offense bro but if you dont like the bitching just move along.

M

MJB4450

Well, when the Dodge Challenger V8s with auto trans were eating up timing chains there were lots of "whiners". They persisted and then FCA came up with an expensive for them, fix. When that fix did not hold up well, they came up with a stronger fix. That also occurred with many other problems. Forum members whined and FCA fixed. My opinion is that Forum members are listened to because they are the ones who are the most loyal and repetitive buyers. Management does monitor Forums. As far as the A/C being satisfactory or not. I don't see any value in posts where someone from the East or Mid-West says they don't know what people are complaining about, theirs works "OK". There's a HUGE difference between a Florida or Michigan A/C's effectiveness and the effectiveness of A/C in Arizona or Texas. When I park in the summer, my interior temp can exceed 150 degrees in no time. So If I got into a parked car in Michigan in the summer I might say, gee, it's a might toasty in here, lets turn on the A/C. And if it blows slightly cold air, well, that's OK. But here it's holy c**p get the A/C going now. So if people who have been driving here for decades and had no problem with their A/C in all the cars they've owned suddenly get a vehicle and have a complaint, I'd say that vehicle has inadequate A/C since the manufacturers had no problem in the past keeping people who REALLY need A/C cool enough.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nobody is putting a gun to your head and making you read these threads.
No offense bro but if you dont like the bitching just move along.
That's true - I agree with you, as I think this thread has outlived its usefulness for me and I really don't have anything more to contribute (y)

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, when the Dodge Challenger V8s with auto trans were eating up timing chains there were lots of "whiners". They persisted and then FCA came up with an expensive for them, fix. When that fix did not hold up well, they came up with a stronger fix. That also occurred with many other problems. Forum members whined and FCA fixed. My opinion is that Forum members are listened to because they are the ones who are the most loyal and repetitive buyers. Management does monitor Forums. As far as the A/C being satisfactory or not. I don't see any value in posts where someone from the East or Mid-West says they don't know what people are complaining about, theirs works "OK". There's a HUGE difference between a Florida or Michigan A/C's effectiveness and the effectiveness of A/C in Arizona or Texas. When I park in the summer, my interior temp can exceed 150 degrees in no time. So If I got into a parked car in Michigan in the summer I might say, gee, it's a might toasty in here, lets turn on the A/C. And if it blows slightly cold air, well, that's OK. But here it's holy c**p get the A/C going now. So if people who have been driving here for decades and had no problem with their A/C in all the cars they've owned suddenly get a vehicle and have a complaint, I'd say that vehicle has inadequate A/C since the manufacturers had no problem in the past keeping people who REALLY need A/C cool enough.
Hey, in that case I really hope it works for you and that they do pay attention :) .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some of us do live in Texas or Arizona.

(Still, it doesn’t hurt to post your experience.)

Twister

Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.
Mine has been great so far, makes my wife shiver

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Some of us do live in Texas or Arizona.

(Still, it doesn’t hurt to post your experience.)
I live in Indiana and my AC sucks, there is an issue with it for sure. My vent temp are well over 50 degrees all the time yet FCA will tell you 55 degrees is in spec lol

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has been great so far, makes my wife shiver

no offense guy but “makes my wife shiver” isn’t a temp reading, my wife gets cold in 80 deg temps. I’ve only read of one testimonial on this forum of someone getting sub 45 deg vent temps in stock form.Both of my other vehicles blow colder than that. My ram won’t blow 45 deg out of the vent in stock form even when it’s 45 deg outside!

airgas1998

Reaction score
^^^very true...it's cold outside can mean 60 degs from someone who lives in Miami florida, and -30degs for someone who lives in international falls, Minnesota.

Twister

Reaction score
no offense guy but “makes my wife shiver” isn’t a temp reading, my wife gets cold in 80 deg temps. I’ve only read of one testimonial on this forum of someone getting sub 45 deg vent temps in stock form.Both of my other vehicles blow colder than that. My ram won’t blow 45 deg out of the vent in stock form even when it’s 45 deg outside!

We have have 100+ degree days here with 70+% humidity, no issues dude. My wife does not get cold at 80 degrees as the house thermostat stays on 68 degrees. LOL

blackamarss

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my new 2019 ram 1500 laramie sport. AC seems to be ok with me. not ice cold but cold enough I should say.

Mike504

Reaction score
I've noticed when some folks here claim that their AC blows "ice cold" they never want to back it up with taking a thermometer and giving us the vent temp? Coincidence? :ROFLMAO:;)
For people who are comfortable with how their a/c works there isn't much motivation to go out and buy a thermometer or take the time to temp it. "Ice cold" is very subjective. For some people the system works just fine for their comfort levels, for others it doesn't. It doesn't mean the a/c is working as well as it should, just that they are happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread