5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is the diagnostic and test procedure for DT air conditioning performance check:
  1. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
    • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  2. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.

NOTE:
    This procedure requires the technician to know what the temperature and relative humidity is at the time of the test. The temperature must be combined with the relative humidity to calculate the apparent ambient temperature ("feels like" temperature), when the temperatures are above 21°C (70°F). Use the current ambient temperature and the relative humidity in your location. This information can be obtained from multiple sources, such as the internet or local news media.
  3. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
  4. Specifications: 70F ambient/45F output, 80F ambient/45F output, 90 ambient/55F output, 100F ambient/55F output, and 110F ambient/64F output.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 019719 miles.

Should be a number 5 on that. Vehicle outside with the sun beating down on it, not inside the garage where it is way cooler than outside. :LOL: :giggle:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Should be a number 5 on that. Vehicle outside with the sun beating down on it, not inside the garage where it is way cooler than outside. :LOL: :giggle:
Define “way cooler”. My insulated garage is presently reading an even 100 degrees!! And when you compare your truck’s A/C vent temps with the FCA spec, remember that ambient temperature is measured in the shade ;)

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Define “way cooler”. My insulated garage is presently reading an even 100 degrees!! And when you compare your truck’s A/C vent temps with the FCA spec, remember that ambient temperature is measured in the shade ;)

I didn't mean your garage I meant the dealers garage. One of our local dealers garage is air conditioned so you definitely not going to get a true reading there. Now the mechanics like it :p

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Mine was very cool this afternoon on the way home from work, and on par with my ‘17, if not better. I’m not sure why it has been getting colder and colder lately, but I am not complaining.

TulsaRam

Reaction score
Mine was very cool this afternoon on the way home from work, and on par with my ‘17, if not better. I’m not sure why it has been getting colder and colder lately, but I am not complaining.

I was thinking the same thing today. My only issue with the AC is that it takes 10-15 minutes to cool down the truck. Once cool, it works just fine. My 17 cooled quicker, but I'm satisfied with my 19.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was very comfortable within about 90 seconds today. The fan speed (on Auto) had already dropped by then. But maybe it’s because we were a little cooler (98 degrees)! I’ve said it before, but I empathize with those that are experiencing subpar performance.

ac1dd

Reaction score

I don't want to worry you but sometimes this can be the result of a slow refrigerant leak eventually it will stop cooling once the amount of refrigerant is below what needed to keep it filling the evaporator area.

kblast523

Reaction score
After having gone through full summer with bunch of days at 100+ and dark paint, I'd say they did a fine job engineering the AC in this vehicle....COLD.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The term "ice cold" implies that the output temperature of the system or the internal cabin temperature reaches 32F or below. I know of no automotive system that delivers at that level of performance.

However, in my case all of the people on my current passenger list either complain of it being "too cold" at my comfort level, or think the system works better in my DT than their own vehicle. I've measured the output temperature per the service manual and mine beats the spec by one degree.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 023088 miles.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Mine is extremely cold....with the clamp mod. I finally had to break down and put it back on. We've been having a long hot spell. Once it cools down a bit and starts raining again, i'll reverse it. But for now, I need cold all the time and the extra coolness of the clamp mod is wonderful.

Went and test drove a 2020 BMW X5 and a 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 and you want to talk about ice cold. Both of them were blowing amazingly cold air. Put both my Longhorn and the wifes Q7 to shame. And yes, the Audi Q7 has absolutely horrible A/C as well. The Pano roof is like sitting under a heat lamp and the angle of the windshield allows you to get directly hit by the sun. It's a deadly combination and couple that with weak A/C, even my wife complains....and she doesn't normally complain about A/C.

As bad as many of us feel our ram's a/c sucks, unfortunately, it can be much worse and we have a Q7 to prove it.

ac1dd

Reaction score
l.

Went and test drove a 2020 BMW X5 and a 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 and you want to talk about ice cold. Both of them were blowing amazingly cold air. Put both my Longhorn and the wifes Q7 to shame. And yes, the Audi Q7 has absolutely horrible A/C as well. The Pano roof is like sitting under a heat lamp and the angle of the windshield allows you to get directly hit by the sun. It's a deadly combination and couple that with weak A/C, even my wife complains....and she doesn't normally complain about A/C.

As bad as many of us feel our ram's a/c sucks, unfortunately, it can be much worse and we have a Q7 to prove it.

There is a coding facility in the Audi HVAC module that can be set to either "cold country" or "hot country" with the Audi scan tool, if that coding is set incorrectly (If you live in a warmer region overall) and the coding is set to "cold country" it will NOT allow the AC to perform at it's best. You should look into this and make sure the coding is correct for your region.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Mine is extremely cold....with the clamp mod. I finally had to break down and put it back on. We've been having a long hot spell. Once it cools down a bit and starts raining again, i'll reverse it. But for now, I need cold all the time and the extra coolness of the clamp mod is wonderful.

As far as the pano roof goes, I’m working 2 and 2 out in WTexas with a black rebel. Temp 100-1110, add the black color. One of the the post discussed the ceramic tint which I have all the around and on top of factory tint. They brought up doing the Pano with ceramic. I had it done and you can definitely tell the difference

kd1983

Reaction score
Not sure if what I'm about to describe has been tried by anyone else (nothing came up via search), but my theory on the cooling for these trucks is that for the most part it is software limiting the temps coming out at the vent.

I just picked the truck up this past week and it has still been rather hot in the DFW area and using a digital meat thermometer with a probe the lowest I've seen the temperature come out of the driver center vent has been 50/51 F, this has been consistent no matter the ambient temp outside or time of day.

Tonight I used a heating pad that gets to about 115 F and covered the cabin temp vent near the steering wheel with the heating pad and the temp at the driver center vent dropped to 47/48 F, the ambient temp outside when I tested this was only about 83 F and before using the heating pad on the cabin temp sensor it was the same 50/51 F. The algorithm must use temperature hysteresis/rate of change to determine a vent temp lower bound and thus why covering the cabin sensor vent with a heating pad changed the lower bound. Of course we probably need more data to determine this conclusively and I should add if you try this with your truck don't use anything that gets excessively hot or has an open flame.

I only held the heating pad on the sensor vent for about five min so it may have dropped further holding it there longer or if I had a pad that could get hotter.

This leads me to believe the following:

1. This is working by design, maybe to help meet gas mileage numbers with the start/stop functionality?
  2. Or there is a Software bug and it will be fixed eventually
I also think some trucks have legitimate defects or calibration issues but for the most part it is a software "feature" limiting how low the AC air output temp is.

Royal27

Reaction score
There is a proven issue with the AC. It may work within "Ram spec" but it doesn't work as it should.

And when I say proven issue I mean proven by the drop in temp by the valve/clamp hack. If the AC was working correctly this hack wouldn't have the significant impact that it does.

I doubt RAM does anything about it though. It's all about $$$ and since their is no safety risk here they have no financial motivation to correct.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Tired of people only posting when there's problems. Yes, mine blows ice cold AC.

I've noticed when some folks here claim that their AC blows "ice cold" they never want to back it up with taking a thermometer and giving us the vent temp? Coincidence? :ROFLMAO:;)

2020RamSport

Reaction score
A co-worker's 2019 Ram Longhorn 3500 blows really cold air, but his truck has the Cummins Turbo Diesel. Different plumbing, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread