5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

Mike504

Reaction score
You have no concrete evidence to back up your observations, and all it would take is a inexpensive thermometer to
do so. Since that is the case I would bet your vent temp in 95 F with 50% humidity, on recirc with fan on medium speed would be around 59 F. haha.:p

Why would someone that is perfectly happy with their ac mess with getting a thermometer and doing tests to prove it to random people on the internet?

This thread asked if anyone's ac blew "ice cold", it didn't ask for people to post their temperatures. "Ice cold" is very subjective. They are happy with theirs and maybe it actually works fine, it's possible that this problem doesn't effect 100% of vehicles. People are attacking him for thinking it works fine.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Why would someone that is perfectly happy with their ac mess with getting a thermometer and doing tests to prove it to random people on the internet?

This thread asked if anyone's ac blew "ice cold", it didn't ask for people to post their temperatures. "Ice cold" is very subjective. They are happy with theirs and maybe it actually works fine, it's possible that this problem doesn't effect 100% of vehicles. People are attacking him for thinking it works fine.

Sniff sniff.....hmmm work for FCA, marketing arm, or a RAM dealership? :sneaky: :ROFLMAO:

Twister

Reaction score

Exactly Mike, I just saw a post about turning the AC on when 41 degrees outside!! why would you do that unless one is a mobile butcher or surgeon. Most people turn their heat on then. I travel the country for my job and Arizona is cooler at 102F than KY is at 95 F just due to humidity. I have a longhorn and keep the thermostat on 70 all the time, it works fine for me.

Fidomac

Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.
there is an update for your AC depending on the build date of your truck. Might want to check with your dealer

dmodem

Reaction score
there is an update for your AC depending on the build date of your truck. Might want to check with your dealer
I have had the software update completed, compressor replaced, freon re-filled, and temperature sensor replaced - all after the dealer and Star system verified a problem. Guess what? It still blows warm when hot and humid, but I won't be able to replicate it for further follow up until next summer.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You have posted the same thing several times regarding an update on the AC system, there is no update for most of our trucks. The update was for early and mid 18 build dates and it didn’t fix anything.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly Mike, I just saw a post about turning the AC on when 41 degrees outside!! why would you do that unless one is a mobile butcher or surgeon. Most people turn their heat on then.

That was me Capt Obvious, and I didn’t turn the AC on because I was hot, I was driving around and kept lowering the inside temp from the heat settings until I was comfortable and I suddenly realized I was all the way on the coldest setting but the air coming out of the vents really wasn’t cold. I keep a thermometer in the truck so I threw it into the vent. It proves the theory that the blend door on the heat side of the HVAC box is not closing all the way. You should not have a 20 deg temp differential from the outside air to the inside vent temp on fresh air and the temp turned to all the way cold. Then I thought I wonder if the AC can blow colder than 50 with colder outside temps and the answer is a definitive no! No matter what the hot air blend door is not closing all the way in correlation with the AC controls in the truck so there is always hot air blending with cold air making the AC performance poor. On the flip side this truck will about cook you out with the heater, no issues whatsoever there!

kf702

Reaction score
I have the same issue and also had a case#. Today I found the case has been closed, the last I heard is operating as designed. I believe this is BS and am also frustrated with having bought a 55K vehicle that has poor A/C performance. Please let me know how you intend to "turn the heat up on Ram".
I live in Las Vegas and when people ask me about the truck I let them know that the AC is terrible.

It is unacceptable when our Honda Odyssey Mini Van blows ice cold.

If I would do it again I would buy a Sierra just because of the AC other than that I love the ram but it's such an important thing in the desert Southwest.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I live in Las Vegas and when people ask me about the truck I let them know that the AC is terrible.

It is unacceptable when our Honda Odyssey Mini Van blows ice cold.

If I would do it again I would buy a Sierra just because of the AC other than that I love the ram but it's such an important thing in the desert Southwest.

I haven't had to, but apparently if you have too warm an A/C you can simply block off the heater core, cheap and easy to do and your A/C will get really cold apparently.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 LIMITED....May 19 build....AC works good...no complaints, and I mean even in 90 degrees, with 90% humidity like we had last week here in New England, and will have the next 3-4 days...it still works very good. I wind up setting it at 68 on Auto, and I'm a happy camper.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just want to add to this thread that is would be of great help if everyone who hasn't filled out their profile at least puts what state you live in under the location area.

It is helpful in this thread to determine what kind of climate you live in.

Thanks!

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 LIMITED....May 19 build....AC works good...no complaints, and I mean even in 90 degrees, with 90% humidity like we had last week here in New England, and will have the next 3-4 days...it still works very good. I wind up setting it at 68 on Auto, and I'm a happy camper.
I agree. I’m in NJ and we’ve had similar weather and the AC in my truck feels fine to me. I also set it to 68 and auto. The ventilated seats are a big help too. I get that everyone has different comfort levels so all I’m saying is mine is okay by me.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I’m in NJ and we’ve had similar weather and the AC in my truck feels fine to me. I also set it to 68 and auto. The ventilated seats are a big help too. I get that everyone has different comfort levels so all I’m saying is mine is okay by me.
It almost sounds like you're feeling guilty for saying it's okay.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036028 miles.

mtbiker033

Reaction score
mine works great on auto and synch and it's hot af where i live today

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's why I think there is a missing component/link here. Because my truck is a Jan 2019 build, and the A/C has always been great, including recently in high heat high humidity weather. I honestly had to turn up the temp because I was getting too cold.

And before you think I'm some skinny guy who doesn't get hot, it's the opposite. I'm a big dude that gets hot quickly and starts sweating at the slightest amount of heat. Cold A/C is required for me to drive any vehicle and I've had no complaints about my RAM.

That being said, there are people who clearly don't feel the same. There has to be some sort of mechanical or setup issue on certain trucks and not simply a subjective feel from person to person.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It almost sounds like you're feeling guilty for saying it's okay.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036028 miles.
LOL! Yeah I guess it does. I just feel bad for the people who are having issues. Mine may be defective too for all I know. I’ve never run any tests but as I said I’m okay with the way it is.

ramhead

Reaction score
It's been said numerous times in this thread and it's a fact that "feel" temps are very subjective and relative to each person. There's no way of even knowing whether the suggested "proper vent temp" of 55 degrees (which RAM laughingly lists as the approved spec at like 85 degree ambient temps) is being reached WITHOUT using a thermometer in the vent to test and get results.

Great for all you guys who are happy with your AC but it's meaningless to any real fact gathering to use terms like "it feels cold enough", "works great", etc.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's been said numerous times in this thread and it's a fact that "feel" temps are very subjective and relative to each person. There's no way of even knowing whether the suggested "proper vent temp" of 55 degrees (which RAM laughingly lists as the approved spec at like 85 degree ambient temps) is being reached WITHOUT using a thermometer in the vent to test and get results.

Great for all you guys who are happy with your AC but it's meaningless to any real fact gathering to use terms like "it feels cold enough", "works great", etc.
True - that would be as bad as someone saying their Ram’s system doesn’t work well based on their experiences in other vehicles... ;)

I mean, how could they posdibly know? That would just be subjective!

(Just giving you a hard time)

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s all in perspective. I’m pretty happy with mine. There are variables,
#1 example for me—-
—I’m at work all day outside, truck is usually in shade all day. Dash outside temp still shows 100+. Put to speed 5, mixed dash/floor. Butt cooler on 1. Quarter way home turning down to 2-3. It’s great
—early morning trip to 6 flags with fam. Stay till early afternoon 1-2. Windshield shade is up, do a remote start as soon as it’s in range. Do same as above and it takes almost 3 quarters before I’m ok with turning down. Really, that’s the rest of fam
comfy.
What I’m getting to is comfort. Individually, there will always be variables. Some do heater core block off will help regardless of issues or no issues. No bias there. That will be true.

1234 will not cool more efficient then r134. As r134 will never cool more efficient then r12.
Average, generic specs across all manufacturers is approximately 30%. With or with out 1234.

Yup 30%, so per oat and iat. Pre and post temps in/out of evaporator and same with condenser. Is your percentage, mainly condenser/evaporator pre/post temps.

Users who are viewing this thread