5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Travel link and traffic alerts are SiriusXM services, and have nothing to do with the missing WiFi/Bluetooth antenna (green connector on the radio module) or the cellular antenna (pink connector on the radio module). You already have the antenna necessary for the three SiriusXM subscription services, which is the mustard yellow connector on the back of the radio module.
The green connector is for WiFi/Bluetooth antenna, which is really only needed if you are activating the WiFi hotspot, or are Bluetoothing your phone to the radio, and having signal issues. The pink connector is on the radio module is for 4G, which in used for (but not necessarily needed) Sirius guardian services.
Traffic alerts is part of the travel link app, so once you enable the soft key on the radio, and you have an active subscription to them through SiriusXM, you’ll be able to use the app on the radio.
Okay, thank you for the explanation, makes more sense. I will add the travel link with the instructions previous page, figure out what Sirius needs from me to activate the subscription, and should then be good to go.

Thanks again!

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Travel link and traffic alerts are SiriusXM services, and have nothing to do with the missing WiFi/Bluetooth antenna (green connector on the radio module) or the cellular antenna (pink connector on the radio module). You already have the antenna necessary for the three SiriusXM subscription services, which is the mustard yellow connector on the back of the radio module.
The green connector is for WiFi/Bluetooth antenna, which is really only needed if you are activating the WiFi hotspot, or are Bluetoothing your phone to the radio, and having signal issues. The pink connector is on the radio module is for 4G, which in used for (but not necessarily needed) Sirius guardian services.
Traffic alerts is part of the travel link app, so once you enable the soft key on the radio, and you have an active subscription to them through SiriusXM, you’ll be able to use the app on the radio.
So I enabled TravelLink and subscribed via Sirius, but after leaving overnight I did not get a soft button in my dash?

checked with Alfa and it seems like the change was made in the BCM - anything I missed?

Thomas1023

Reaction score
So I enabled TravelLink and subscribed via Sirius, but after leaving overnight I did not get a soft button in my dash?

checked with Alfa and it seems like the change was made in the BCM - anything I missed?

Disconnect your battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
O
Disconnect your battery

Will give that a try tonight, thank you.

after I add TL in the BCM it should show up as a soft button no matter what, right? Even if I’m not subscribed or the service isn’t available/there was a problem on Sirius’ end?

Interesting in that all of my other updates took effect immediately. When I enabled passive entry and rain sensing wipers the soft buttons showed up before I even turned off the truck the first time.

Thomas1023

Reaction score
O

Will give that a try tonight, thank you.

after I add TL in the BCM it should show up as a soft button no matter what, right? Even if I’m not subscribed or the service isn’t available/there was a problem on Sirius’ end?

Interesting in that all of my other updates took effect immediately. When I enabled passive entry and rain sensing wipers the soft buttons showed up before I even turned off the truck the first time.

Usually when you’re making changes to the bcm you need to disconnect your battery to allow it to get all the updated settings. When I did passive entry and the 12” screen none of the changes took place till after I disconnected the battery for about a minute. Same with travel link didn’t see it till I did that. Sometimes after disconnecting your battery just let it sit off for about 30 mins, everything should pop up.

Cesar592

Reaction score

Thomas1023

Reaction score

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Jimmy07 sent you a PM.

GermanDreams

Reaction score
Is everyone having update and wifi problems only non nav? I have a 8.4 w/nav and was curious. Also with the nav do you still need to repin the connector?

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Anyone know where to buy the connectors and pins to make a jumper cable?

vyamill27

Reaction score
Anyone know where to buy the connectors and pins to make a jumper cable?

GM, I'm looking to do a jumper cable too so I don't have to do a re-pin on the stock cable. I read a long time ago that someone had several done and ready to ship. Help Please !!!!???!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

ifrankyr

Reaction score
Well, I have successfully converted from 8.4 non Nav. to 12. Everything is working. Dual climate control, ( which I had before), Sirius XM changed over to the new Radio ID, working with travel link and traffic. Navigation is working perfectly. Everything is just like OEM. Also, installed the trailer brake controller while I had everything apart. Everything works.:LOL:
Now, I have a 8.4 non Nav. complete with bezel on my hand.
Can you please send me the parts / procedure for to do this. I’m 10 pages in this thread and got 60ish pages go. Don’t wanna miss something

ifrankyr

Reaction score
Another member used MVI Inc. and said he is very happy with the upgrade. $2,400 for everything plus he said he got $600 back for turning in his 8.4 screen so $1,800 all said and done. This is who I will probably use when I upgrade. Their website sucks but here is their facebook site, you have to scroll down a bit to get to the 8.4 upgrade video.

Would this be the cheapest option compared to buying the parts separately or more so a hassle free way?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would this be the cheapest option compared to buying the parts separately or more so a hassle free way?
I'm not sure about cost when piecing things together. It looks and sounds like everyone is having a hard time getting the parts they need right now for this upgrade. I didnt do this upgrade yet.

Bsaylor

Reaction score

I sourced everything out (all new)from different sellers on eBay, online stores and this forum. 1640.42 is what I’m out for everything give or take a few bucks.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
I sourced everything out (all new)from different sellers on eBay, online stores and this forum. 1640.42 is what I’m out for everything give or take a few bucks.

Whatever you do don’t get impatient like me and get a jumper cable instead of repining wires!

Users who are viewing this thread