5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
Soooooo, for those of you that have been following my 37 page’s of issues I have been having to get this 12” screen working in my Laramie coming from NON-NAV to the 12”. I sent everything back to the seller @Ram41313 and he ended up testing it in his own personal truck to attempt to help me out. Everything ended up working for him so he sent it back to me and I FINALLY got everything working. Huge shoutout to @Jimmy07 for his patience and help through this every step of the way! I put everything back and and I was having the same issue with the screen not coming back on. (Black screen of death), @Jimmy07 recommended I change everything back to stock stock settings with the android version of ALFAOBD, pull the fuse and try settings with windows version with the Pacifica BCM settings. So I did that, pulled the fuse again for 30 sec put it back in, locked the truck and waiting 10 minutes and everything is now working finally! So the ALFAOBD seems to be what the issue was. Jimmy also was nice enough to make me and send me the plug and another LCVS cable. Thanks a lot to everyone for your help. If you plan on doing this upgrade, use the Windows version of ALFA for the time being. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much was this upgrade out the door? Where did you by the 12 inch screen?

dougstheman86

Reaction score
How much was this upgrade out the door? Where did you by the 12 inch screen?

I bought it off the buy/sell section on this forum. All together, everything costed me around $1600 to get everything done including the bypass and ALFAOBD.

Cableline01

Reaction score
Does anyone have a compiled list of part numbers I need to go from a 8.4 non-nav to the 12 in? If there is some writeup that would be great.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Does anyone have a compiled list of part numbers I need to go from a 8.4 non-nav to the 12 in? If there is some writeup that would be great.

You will need the following to do the swap:
12” screen and dash
ALFAOBD- $55
OBDLINK MX- $80
Infotainment bypass- $55

You also need to re-pin your connector that plugs into the back of the screen. Check out posts #309 and #319 as well.

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
c4b27ca26ef301c859413e18075ee2df.jpg

This is exactly what i used

jlanc20

Reaction score
I know this has probably been posted a few times but how many part numbers are there for the 12.1 module? Also if i got one that has lane assist but my bighorn does not have that will it still work? I just need a module and the center stack bezel and ill have everything to do this

jlanc20

Reaction score
Also picked up a lvds cable from a dodge journey i rememeber seeing someone on here say they used one and it work there was a 20-30 dollar price difference between the one for a journey and the one for the ram? Hopefully it works

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All the lvds cables FCA uses are physically the same.
There are multiple part numbers for the 12” radio modules between the 1500s and HDs. I would have to dig them up, but stick with the ones posted in the thread.
Extra buttons, like lane assist, won’t make a difference. They’ll just be there, but not respond when pressed. That’s an easy option to add for in the future if you decide to, then You’ll already have the physical button.

jlanc20

Reaction score
Sorry for another question but Im having a hard time finding the bezel/trim for my screen in black and diesel gray...i tried a few part numbers but the mopar sites arent very useful anybody happen to know the part number for this color?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for another question but Im having a hard time finding the bezel/trim for my screen in black and diesel gray...i tried a few part numbers but the mopar sites arent very useful anybody happen to know the part number for this color?
The easiest thing you can do to make absolute certain your getting the style bezel you want, is to search autotrader nationwide for a Ram that has the 12” screen and same bezel you’re looking for. Get the VIN of the listed truck, and call any dealership parts department (doesn’t have to be your local dealer) and ask them what the part number of the “instrument panel bezel” is that truck uses.

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
The easiest thing you can do to make absolute certain your getting the style bezel you want, is to search autotrader nationwide for a Ram that has the 12” screen and same bezel you’re looking for. Get the VIN of the listed truck, and call any dealership parts department (doesn’t have to be your local dealer) and ask them what the part number of the “instrument panel bezel” is that truck uses.

#3 on the microfiche will be the bezel.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
#3 on the microfiche will be the bezel.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to the number of the part on interior trim parts diagram- like this-
YZHLbIy.jpg

It’s number 13 in this parts drawing version, but could be different on another mopar site drawing model. There are 22 different part numbers for part number 13 in that drawing (I’m talking actual different part numbers, the series of 5 part numbers you posted above are all the exact same part). Unless someone posts a photo of the bezel with the part number they’re referring to, it’s easiest just to find the vin of a truck with the bezel you want to make absolute certain you’re buying the bezel you want.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
639c266a2512ae5e5c5b329ef0ed696b.jpg

I guess it all depends on where you look..... it’s #3 on this diagram

Right, but for #3, there’s 22 different variations of that part. How do you know which part number to tell someone to get when they say “which one is diesel gray and black”?

Users who are viewing this thread