5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Bram2019

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 with nav and all I had to do was get the radio and the module no programming was required all I had to do was get a unlock code cause it was locked there’s a company online you can get that with the module s/n radio codes.com
Could you clarify. In 1 statement you said you bought the 12 inch and the 12 inch screen module. In the next message you said the steering wheel controls did not work becasue you need a 12 inch module. So which is it. Are you running a 12 inch screen with a 12 inch module or are you running a 12 inch screen with an 8.4 inch nav module. Or am I missing something here

Ram41313

Reaction score
Could you clarify. In 1 statement you said you bought the 12 inch and the 12 inch screen module. In the next message you said the steering wheel controls did not work becasue you need a 12 inch module. So which is it. Are you running a 12 inch screen with a 12 inch module or are you running a 12 inch screen with an 8.4 inch nav module. Or am I missing something here
I’m running a 12 inch screen with a 12inch module the only thing that doesn’t work is the volume knob and tune know but I can control it on the wheel how’s that?

Bram2019

Reaction score
I’m running a 12 inch screen with a 12inch module the only thing that doesn’t work is the volume knob and tune know but I can control it on the wheel how’s that?
Now I understand. You can control the radio from the steering wheel. But not from the knobs near the radio. So what part do you think you need to fix this or can't it be fixed. I am asking all this because I may do this in the future myself

Ram41313

Reaction score
Now I understand. You can control the radio from the steering wheel. But not from the knobs near the radio. So what part do you think you need to fix this or can't it be fixed. I am asking all this because I may do this in the future myself

Ram41313

Reaction score
Right I’m not to sure there’s one plug that doesn’t have a spot on the new radio I’m thinking I just have to figure out where those wires would plug into one of the other plugs but it’s really not that bad with controlling it from the wheel everything works by touching the screen also

Eoreyes07

Reaction score
Right I’m not to sure there’s one plug that doesn’t have a spot on the new radio I’m thinking I just have to figure out where those wires would plug into one of the other plugs but it’s really not that bad with controlling it from the wheel everything works by touching the screen also
Nice, where did you buy the module?
I'm coming from a 8.4 Non-Nav and have the screen and the lvds but no module, I don't mind being patient and waiting until I come across one on a junkyard or something but if there's a place to buy one that would be great.

I'm glad it can be done, volume knob not working seems like a very small price to pay for the nice upgrade

Ram41313

Reaction score
Nice, where did you buy the module?
I'm coming from a 8.4 Non-Nav and have the screen and the lvds but no module, I don't mind being patient and waiting until I come across one on a junkyard or something but if there's a place to buy one that would be great.

I'm glad it can be done, volume knob not working seems like a very small price to pay for the nice upgrade
Yeah I got mine from a junkyard but yes it’s nice and the knobs is really nbd

craulston

Reaction score
This same company is coming out with an entire package to make the change to the 12.1 screen.
I talked to them in Dec. about mirrors and they told me about it.
I just called them back. They do not currently have it out but are working on it.
If you call, they will place you on a list and will contact you when available.

SColang22

Reaction score
The difficulty depends on if you have an 8.4 with nav or without. with nav its pretty straight forward. Without its different because the telematics as well as the Non Nav is a all contained unit and the 8.4 with nav is the same as the 12.1 just different size screen.

You do need a new module and screen. If you have the 8.4 no nav you have to also make the plug for the screen that has the power and can bus for the screen the lvds cable
So if I have an 8.4 with nav it’s plug and play or do I need the computer module? If I need the module do you know where to get it?

SColang22

Reaction score
I did the swap in my Laramie that originally had the 8.4 with Nav. When I first swapped in the 12” screen, it was blank. I then swapped out my radio module with the one that came with the 12” screen and everything powered on. Everything works except, the volume knob, tuning knob and the screen blank button. Pushing the volume knob will still turn off the unit though. The steering wheel volume buttons still work and the on screen radio controls also work. I haven’t been able to get updated software to flash the 12” to see if that would make the knobs work or not.
Where did you get the module for the 12” screen?

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Great find! hopefully not super pricey.

i am the opposite. I do not care for the 12 inch AT ALL. i actually found a truck i would seriously thought of upgrading to, it had every single thing i want and nothing i don't except it had NAV on 12 inch and i want the 8.4. I went to look at it jussssst in case i could've lived with it, or maybe it even would've suprised me and i'd like it, but no, after 10 minutes playing with it, i was like this is "overkill" i hated it, if i bought the truck that had that, instead of giving the finger to my NON Nav 8.4 like i do each morning when i get in the truck, i'd be flipping the bird to that 12 inch radio...lol can't win! : (

tim.wilson

Reaction score
So it looks like people are upgrading there 09-17 rams with ra3 8.4 uconnect to the new 8.4 UConnect 4C screens which are found in the 2018+ trucks. So it would stand to reason that it would also be possible to install the new 12.1" screens into the older 4th gen trucks. Anyone else look into this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread