5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

dsoto19646

Reaction score
Guys, i'm so sorry and not trying to beat a dead horse, but, I have the 8.4 non nav and to upgrade to the 8.4 nav all I need is the module?, or module and new screen?

ppjmike1

Reaction score
So it looks like people are upgrading there 09-17 rams with ra3 8.4 uconnect to the new 8.4 UConnect 4C screens which are found in the 2018+ trucks. So it would stand to reason that it would also be possible to install the new 12.1" screens into the older 4th gen trucks. Anyone else look into this?

Im interested to as i have a 4th gen and going to try this as well just been waiting to buy the 12.1 with module and all parts not in pieces as i have only been able to find lately.

tim.wilson

Reaction score
Im interested to as i have a 4th gen and going to try this as well just been waiting to buy the 12.1 with module and all parts not in pieces as i have only been able to find lately.
Let me know how it goes. There is probably going to need some hacking on the CAN bus to make sure everything works properly, something like a Can Bus Duo should do the trick. Even if only to spoof the VIN if Dodge refuses to give unlock codes to 14-17 vins.

Ajr

Reaction score
I just realized I misunderstood your question. I swapped out the set of toggle switches that came with the screen with the set from my truck. It’s held in with screws so it’s easy to swap out. It works as it should.
What would be cool is getting those switches to have the same icons but from the 2500 HD with 6AUX upfitters my Rebel has Parking sensors, Traction control, and tow/haul no air suspension want to get Aux switches since like you said they’re screwed in

RichM1983

Reaction score
This is the correct one for the 12.1 couple online places said 2 weeks will be released

Is this bolted to the back of the screen? Or is bolted inside the dash and connects to the screen. I found a junk yard with a limited and I want to know where to tell them to look so I can get it.

Thanks guys.

Ram41313

Reaction score
Is this bolted to the back of the screen? Or is bolted inside the dash and connects to the screen. I found a junk yard with a limited and I want to know where to tell them to look so I can get it.

Thanks guys.
It is bolted inside the dash not on the radio

dlynch34

Reaction score
I have a 2019 bighorn with the 8.4 uconnect no nav. Has anyone been able to successfully change to the 12 inch displays? From the reading it appears it has been done by very few and with limited success..

Glassman484

Reaction score
I’m no help, but VERY interested to see if you get it to work. The only think I want in the Laramie “level 2” package is the 12” screen. Was hoping a swap would be possible like on the 4th gen’s 3.5” for 8.4”. Will be watching this closely before ordering :)
I just ordered a ‘19 Laramie, with level 2. You have to order the 12” separately, it doesn’t come automatically with L2.
Moving up from a 1500 Laramie, looking forward to getting it in 8-12 weeks......

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Yes it is super expensive and the custom quotes are the same price.

jkratze1

Reaction score
Yes it is super expensive and the custom quotes are the same price.

Has anyone ordered the 12" upgrade yet? This is the one upgrade I wish my truck had. Considering how much I would lose on a trade for a new truck with the 12" display it might be worth it to go the Infotainment route.

Users who are viewing this thread