5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Shives

Reaction score
I have a module 900 shipped
Thanks, not quite sure of what they are worth vs. people pay for. I would like a full bezel and such to.. , I would like the full swap. I’m not in dyer need. Unless I’m missing something.. then maybe I will buy it. Lol. Still trying to figure the pricing. If your in to Harley’s by chance, please let me know. Maybe I can get you to give up a screen too. Ha ha.

Brookelf

Reaction score
New to the forum I bought module/brain 68317978AF this is what was listed in the original list of parts is this the correct brain or is it another part number i'm confuse as I see others are using different part numbers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Blkmrktperf

Reaction score
8.4 non nav to 12.1​

1. you will need to acquire a android device, an app called alphaobd, a Bluetooth obdlink Mx, and a security gateway bypass module from infotainment. Also need part # 68082364AC.

2. you will need bezel, screen and module. Pm if you would like a package deal.

3. there is a good youtube video on removing 8.4 and installing 12 inch. (for installation instruction only) Not for programming. Stop watching at 3 minutes 22 seconds because the rest is useless unless you spend 4k on there 12 inch

4. rewire the 8 pin plug that will plug into back of new 12 inch unit.

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Install 12.1 in dash. Using all existing plugs. And the Jumper wire ( # 68082364AC will plug into module and then to the back of 12.1

5.you need to install security bypass module. If you have a 2500 it is located behind instrument cluster.

After cluster is remove there is a black box with 2 plugs. Unplug them and plug them into security bypass.

Connect your obd mx into obd port and connect to alpha obd ap on android device.

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

Choose body computer select body control module my 2019

Choose Car configuration change. Go almost all the way down the list till you come to

Cab Net ICS integrated center stack. Click it and disable it.

Scroll down a couple and click on Cabin Net DCSD display screen module and enable it.

If you cant get AC to work move to next step

6.Now for hvac controls.

Connect again to body control module go to car configuration then vehicle config 3 HVAC

Select value tab : dual zone ATC .

Hit start. And done

Note: sometimes it take a few times driving for sirus radio and back up camera to start working again.
Quick question do you have to use the infotainment module or can you use a bypass cable from kaodtech? Going from a 8.4 non nav to 12.1 thanks in advance

Brookelf

Reaction score
Quick question do you have to use the infotainment module or can you use a bypass cable from kaodtech? Going from a 8.4 non nav to 12.1 thanks in advance
I'm new to the forum but Ive used alfa before and the kaodtech bypass works.

Shives

Reaction score
New to the forum I bought module/brain 68317978AF this is what was listed in the original list of parts is this the correct brain or is it another part number i'm confuse as I see others are using different part numbers. Any help would be much appreciated.
There has been a ton of speculation if that actually works or not. Also, I would not buy any brain without photos, make sure it has connections for 12.1. (They are different between the two) As well, this part sucks.. try to check the part number.

After what happened to me last time, I won’t buy a thing without more information, photos and part number labels. More so with the swaps.
Some folks are selling brains for the wrong ****. Some folks are selling brains that don’t work. So, do your home work bro. Personally I’ve stopped till I see a package.
I’m all set sending someone 600-800 through Venmo/ Or being asked to pay Via PayPal by just sending cash, with no protection. Lol. I rather not have to drive to someone’s house and collect money owed for bad parts.
Purchase smart! Don’t let the excitement get to you.

Brookelf

Reaction score
There has been a ton of speculation if that actually works or not. Also, I would not buy any brain without photos, make sure it has connections for 12.1. (They are different between the two) As well, this part sucks.. try to check the part number.

After what happened to me last time, I won’t buy a thing without more information, photos and part number labels. More so with the swaps.
Some folks are selling brains for the wrong ****. Some folks are selling brains that don’t work. So, do your home work bro. Personally I’ve stopped till I see a package.
I’m all set sending someone 600-800 through Venmo/ Or being asked to pay Via PayPal by just sending cash, with no protection. Lol. I rather not have to drive to someone’s house and collect money owed for bad parts.
Purchase smart! Don’t let the excitement get to you.
Thanks for the reply hopefully this part works I bought it new from ECS tuning it was $900 before tax.

CHRIS7488

Reaction score
I do believe that I might end up with an extra multi media module. I thought it was luck of the draw with the one I had before. Then I had the email I'd been waiting weeks for saying one of the previous ones I'd been waiting on came through also. Part number in photo for cross referencing..... I should have it by the end of next week. It's UCX for those who are going to ask
still got the extra module

CHRIS7488

Reaction score
does this work comin from the 5in screen as well?
8.4 non nav to 12.1​

1. you will need to acquire a android device, an app called alphaobd, a Bluetooth obdlink Mx, and a security gateway bypass module from infotainment. Also need part # 68082364AC.

2. you will need bezel, screen and module. Pm if you would like a package deal.

3. there is a good youtube video on removing 8.4 and installing 12 inch. (for installation instruction only) Not for programming. Stop watching at 3 minutes 22 seconds because the rest is useless unless you spend 4k on there 12 inch

4. rewire the 8 pin plug that will plug into back of new 12 inch unit.

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Install 12.1 in dash. Using all existing plugs. And the Jumper wire ( # 68082364AC will plug into module and then to the back of 12.1

5.you need to install security bypass module. If you have a 2500 it is located behind instrument cluster.

After cluster is remove there is a black box with 2 plugs. Unplug them and plug them into security bypass.

Connect your obd mx into obd port and connect to alpha obd ap on android device.

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

Choose body computer select body control module my 2019

Choose Car configuration change. Go almost all the way down the list till you come to

Cab Net ICS integrated center stack. Click it and disable it.

Scroll down a couple and click on Cabin Net DCSD display screen module and enable it.

If you cant get AC to work move to next step

6.Now for hvac controls.

Connect again to body control module go to car configuration then vehicle config 3 HVAC

Select value tab : dual zone ATC .

Hit start. And done

Note: sometimes it take a few times driving for sirus radio and back up camera to start working again.

Brookelf

Reaction score
If everything I ordered works Ive invested $1850 in this buying all new parts. I used all the part numbers from the original guy Njh3409 who got this to work. I already had alfaobd so thats not included In the priced Im building my own connector so I don't have to re-pin the factory connector parts for that were $26.06 which is included in the price. Now just waiting on parts to ship everything is supposed to ship by Friday hopefully I receive everything before Thanksgiving holiday.

Tallus

Reaction score
Is it possible to get the comfort button on top of the screen to turn on heated seats and steering wheel. It doesn't work. Any suggestions?
68312620AF Screen

Read above... 5940355A-2F87-499E-8C14-C19475D28EF3.jpeg

Last edited:

tdb0021

Reaction score
I've made this swap and have been happy with it over the last 2 months. The only thing i'd like to figure out is how to get XM travel link (weather, traffic, etc) to work. I have updated my subscription but haven't had any luck with it working. Anyone here been able to get it working?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've made this swap and have been happy with it over the last 2 months. The only thing i'd like to figure out is how to get XM travel link (weather, traffic, etc) to work. I have updated my subscription but haven't had any luck with it working. Anyone here been able to get it working?
Which radio did you start with? You’ll need to make sure ECU Config 3 SDAR Travel Link Feature Present is set to yes in the BCM.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Which radio did you start with? You’ll need to make sure ECU Config 3 SDAR Travel Link Feature Present is set to yes in the BCM.
I started with a 8.4 non nav. I actually enabled that this morning in alpha. Going to see if that does it. I notice that whenever i search for an address it always says "searching offline". Is this related?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I started with a 8.4 non nav. I actually enabled that this morning in alpha. Going to see if that does it. I notice that whenever i search for an address it always says "searching offline". Is this related?
It’ll show up soon, then. You might have to get WiFi going on the radio to get online search.

tdb0021

Reaction score
It’ll show up soon, then. You might have to get WiFi going on the radio to get online search.

I think i'd have to add a wifi antenna. These are the current active faults i have after this install:
Lost communication with ECM/PCM
Lost Communication with TCM
Lost Comminucation with ABS Control Module
Lost Communication with ORC
Lost Communication with Cluster
Wifi Antenna

I don't think any of this is a huge deal, but it would be nice to get them cleared so everything works properly.

CHRIS7488

Reaction score
I used the following but this is just the major parts. Small hardware is needed for mounting everything.

Radio module / brain 68317978AF is what I used. A newer or older part number will be fine.

LVDS video cable: 68082364AC was the cheapest one I could find and I used. ( Dodge Journey )
or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or
5064684AD ( Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger )

Screen: 68312620AF with lane assist and parking buttons at the top
or
Screen: 68420967AD with only hazards button at the top

Bezel for the screen: Now this is a little tricky with different trims. Please verify color and prices vary widely.
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige or Black 6EJ801N1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Mountain Brown 6EJ811N6AA
Black/New Saddle 6EJ812XTAA
Indigo/Frost or Black 6EJ822C1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige, Black Interior Accents 6EZ151N1AA
Black, Black Interior Accents 6EZ152X9AA
All color Big Horn or Lonestar 6UV463XLAA
Black, Sport Badge 6UV473X9AB

Mat that fits in the top center: 6MB16TX7AA

Bolts that hold the screen to the trim are M5 X 0.8 x 12mm

Correction 8.4" Nav and Non Nav will need this or a pinout change. The 8.4" Nav will still use the blue connector and this adaptor. If you use the 8.4" nav screen connector without blue tape the hazards will not work when you switch to the 12" setup. On 8.4" setups the hazards wiring is still in the blue tapped connector and not the screen module connector.
HVAC plug with blue tape will also need repined before plugging into the screen. I made several and have them ready to ship just PM me.
View attachment 42678
how much

Users who are viewing this thread