5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

spaniel43

Reaction score

BTW: IDK if you can use your phone for this, you need a Windows version...
I used a galaxy s10 on a 2020 Laramie 1500 to upgrade from non nav to 12". Worked perfectly

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DIRTRACER52

Reaction score
My new 2019 Laramie has the 8.4 navigation. I want to swap with navigation with this new 12 inch screen that i bought off of craigslist. I unscrewed the 8.4 inch navigation, and plugged in the new 12 inch navigation.. (all the original plugs, fit right into the new navigation... besides one....)

The screen doesnt come on, but everything else lights up. The parking sensor switches work as well. But the SCREEN doesnt turn on. Any suggestions... please lol

blinkSS

Reaction score
Everything seems to be working fine with my 5" to 12" swap except 1) Audio is only coming from my rear speakers, 2) Engine Off Options appear to be gone, and 3) Temperature seems to be in Celsius.

Will update after a few drives if they work itself out. Celsius/Fahrenheit I just need to find where the units setting is on the big screen.

Last edited:

blinkSS

Reaction score
After letting it sit overnight, everything worked itself out. Literally this was the most simple upgrade and only took 30 minutes start to finish. Thanks for everyone's contributions to the thread.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1601294059015_6716314076905370758.jpeg

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help especially @Jimmy07 and @MannymanX. And many more who collaborated with this forum. My experience, it was from 8.4 non nav to 8.4 nav. But use all the data from here. Used parts, screen, module, OBDlink mx, tazer, alphaobd, wire connector for jimmy07 and LVDS wire for eBay. And the Amazon table my kid hahaha

Attachments

• F911AC7D-EABE-42D1-A7F9-EDAD823C79FD.jpeg
    F911AC7D-EABE-42D1-A7F9-EDAD823C79FD.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 85
  • 82414D0F-5529-4F5D-A59D-9820088327F9.jpeg
    82414D0F-5529-4F5D-A59D-9820088327F9.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 86

damonb

Reaction score
So has anyone been able to swap 8.4nav to 12.1 without a new radio module? All I see is 8.4 non nav to 12.1 or the video of the company that wont sell their proprietary key to reuse the 8.4 nav module. Or did I miss a thread? @Jimmy07 maybe?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So has anyone been able to swap 8.4nav to 12.1 without a new radio module? All I see is 8.4 non nav to 12.1 or the video of the company that wont sell their proprietary key to reuse the 8.4 nav module. Or did I miss a thread? @Jimmy07 maybe?
You'll need a new module as of now.
There's a company that said they can do an upgrade on the 8.4nav module but idk if I'd trust that...

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
Maybe many people already know, but if not. You can call Sirius XM and change your plan to your new one.

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
There is a guy here that does the module change and uses the one you have now. His name is @kodiakz. You still keep it as the same with Guardian and Sirius.

wassim

Reaction score
I used the following but this is just the major parts. Small hardware is needed for mounting everything.

Radio module / brain 68317978AF is what I used. A newer or older part number will be fine.

LVDS video cable: 68082364AC was the cheapest one I could find and I used. ( Dodge Journey )
or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or
5064684AD ( Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger )

Screen: 68312620AF with lane assist and parking buttons at the top
or
Screen: 68420967AD with only hazards button at the top

Bezel for the screen: Now this is a little tricky with different trims. Please verify color and prices vary widely.
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige or Black 6EJ801N1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Mountain Brown 6EJ811N6AA
Black/New Saddle 6EJ812XTAA
Indigo/Frost or Black 6EJ822C1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige, Black Interior Accents 6EZ151N1AA
Black, Black Interior Accents 6EZ152X9AA
All color Big Horn or Lonestar 6UV463XLAA
Black, Sport Badge 6UV473X9AB

Mat that fits in the top center: 6MB16TX7AA

Bolts that hold the screen to the trim are M5 X 0.8 x 12mm

Correction 8.4" Nav and Non Nav will need this or a pinout change. The 8.4" Nav will still use the blue connector and this adaptor. If you use the 8.4" nav screen connector without blue tape the hazards will not work when you switch to the 12" setup. On 8.4" setups the hazards wiring is still in the blue tapped connector and not the screen module connector.
HVAC plug with blue tape will also need repined before plugging into the screen. I made several and have them ready to ship just PM me.
View attachment 42678
Hey
I’d like to get this connector
Just purchased the 12 inch screen with the module upgrading from 8.4 non nav
And wanted to know if you have the LVDS cable too

Tallus

Reaction score
In AlfaOBD, instead of selecting body computer to connect to, select radio navigator module 2017. Connect to it, and select the faults and status log tab. Select read system ID, and that will reveal the radio module part number.
Trust me, you’ll choose the 8.4 UAX selection pictured.

Jimmy I was able to connect to my radio module and get the vin from it. Can I just take that to the dealer and get the unlock pin? Got a PIN from online!

What does the vin write do? can i change it to match my vin? Can the anti theft be turned off through the ecu?

I currently have completed the swap, the screen powers on, most functions have loaded. Nav is working, Radio is locked and need anti theft pin. No sound, knobs don't work and hazards don’t work either. I have verified in my BCM that both settings are changed. Will there be no sound until radio is unlocked?

Update: As soon as I entered my pin that I got. Full function to the side buttons work and along with sound. However, hazards and comfort buttons do not work at the top do not work.

Update 2: I pulled my adapter and checked contuanity on the ends. Reseated, checked BCM programing. Accidently hit the hazards and viola!

Now only issue is the comfort button on top of the screen. It doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Villiacana

Reaction score
Hello everyone:
I’m in the market for a 12inch display with radio module, if anyone here in the forum selling one let me know. Thanks in advance

Shives

Reaction score
Same boat as the above. Will be contacting Jimmy for his cable and goods. Do we have a full part number list of what works and not? Going from 8.4 no navi to 12. I’ve looked around, have not gone through all the pages. I’m sorry.

I know we need the screen, brain, trim, and then two maybe 3 cables.

Will be looking to get a new screen and such. I see dealers sell two versions of the 12.1. One at 478 and the other at 530.00. Does anyone happen to know the difference? Or where I could find this information, the web sites seemingly have very little in the description. (I understand)

looks like this would be more fun, then just getting the navi system for my radio. Already have the Alfaobd and MX + (if anyone is around western ma, I’m happy to help anyone who needs it)
I do love this forum!! Thanks all, hope everyone is enjoying

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Same boat as the above. Will be contacting Jimmy for his cable and goods. Do we have a full part number list of what works and not? Going from 8.4 no navi to 12. I’ve looked around, have not gone through all the pages. I’m sorry.

I know we need the screen, brain, trim, and then two maybe 3 cables.

Will be looking to get a new screen and such. I see dealers sell two versions of the 12.1. One at 478 and the other at 530.00. Does anyone happen to know the difference? Or where I could find this information, the web sites seemingly have very little in the description. (I understand)

looks like this would be more fun, then just getting the navi system for my radio. Already have the Alfaobd and MX + (if anyone is around western ma, I’m happy to help anyone who needs it)
I do love this forum!! Thanks all, hope everyone is enjoying
You need one LVDS cable (Part number&link to buy: 68082364AC) and a repin on one of the connectors. If you don't want to repin the connector, you can get the harness from Jimmy.
I don't know where did you find those prices but the screens are $900~ w/ lane keep and park assist buttons, and $1200~ w/o the top buttons.
Bezel is around $400 and module, if you can find one, is $900.
Buying used is better, you'll save quite a bit...

AlfaOBD instructions:

Last edited:

Shives

Reaction score
Awesome thanks. I found the screens available from places like BAMwholesale and such. Seems two versions they list. One more expensive then the other by a few bucks. Have not looked in to the brain, due to the fact I know dealerships won’t sell that part. But, the actual screen itself can be purchased for 476 or 530 depending what part number. Most of these places offer a 30% discount off the top.
Granted these don’t come with the vents and such.
Just trying to go over my options, and make sure I get the right parts! Thanks very much for the insight. Oh, same place that shipped me the HK subwoofer I installed to my 6 speaker Non-amp system. (Only cost 148.99)

Attachments

• 0C3214E5-8CBA-42CA-B630-37514470726D.jpeg
    0C3214E5-8CBA-42CA-B630-37514470726D.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 84
  • C189D681-B879-4E2F-AB19-C6B8DF9B3862.jpeg
    C189D681-B879-4E2F-AB19-C6B8DF9B3862.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 83

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome thanks. I found the screens available from places like BAMwholesale and such. Seems two versions they list. One more expensive then the other by a few bucks. Have not looked in to the brain, due to the fact I know dealerships won’t sell that part. But, the actual screen itself can be purchased for 476 or 530 depending what part number. Most of these places offer a 30% discount off the top.
Granted these don’t come with the vents and such.
Just trying to go over my options, and make sure I get the right parts! Thanks very much for the insight. Oh, same place that shipped me the HK subwoofer I installed to my 6 speaker Non-amp system. (Only cost 148.99)
Yeah, you're right.
I checked the prices again after I posted last night and I guess they lowered the prices... I paid $870 for the cheaper option 3 months ago... that sucks..
But it's good for you haha
Just so you know, it's just the screen part, with volume knobs and ac controls, no bezel...

Last edited:

Shives

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right.
I checked the prices again after I posted last night and I guess they lowered the prices... I paid $870 for the cheaper option 3 months ago... that sucks..
But it's good for you haha
Just so you know, it's just the screen part, with volume knobs and ac controls, no bezel...
Yup! That’s why buying used is cheeper. Ha ha. But pricing it all up may not be too bad given the discount at some places. So, now to try and figure the rest out. Thanks!

Wish I jumped on one of those set this summer when they were selling. Have not seen a complete one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread