5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get updates to your unit once you switch to the different module and screen?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my screen installed :love: :love: :love:
Repining the harness wasn't so bad.. easy install overall... just waiting on AlfaOBD to send me the activation code to program the BCM...

Attachments

• 20200723_130217.jpg
    20200723_130217.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200723_130243.jpg
    20200723_130243.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 117

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I added blind spot sensors and mirrors with blindspot orange LEDs I opted for the ones with the cameras installed. It was a bit running the coax for the left, right, and front cameras but it is doable. I was able to get 360 view working with the swap. All the parts I picked up used and was able to do this for about $350. The front and rear cameras I pulled from damaged Pacifica side mirrors that I picked up cheap.
View attachment 42519 View attachment 42538
My truck only has the rear view camera. So I am able to install a full 360 view camera system on my truck? I have a 12” screen.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
My truck only has the rear view camera. So I am able to install a full 360 view camera system on my truck? I have a 12” screen.
Anything Is possible if you're willing to buy the parts(Grille, mirrors etc)...

Sowa

Reaction score
Looking at doing this for my 2500, I have an 8.4" unit with aux switches. It's not clear to me yet if the aux switch option ever came with 12" equipped trucks. Can I install the aux switches from my 8.4 unit are are those bits different enough between the 8.4 trim and 12 trim that they won't work?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at doing this for my 2500, I have an 8.4" unit with aux switches. It's not clear to me yet if the aux switch option ever came with 12" equipped trucks. Can I install the aux switches from my 8.4 unit are are those bits different enough between the 8.4 trim and 12 trim that they won't work?
Upload a picture of your current screen and switches

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’ll swap right over. All the lower switch banks are interchangeable between all trim levels, 5th gen 1500s, 2019+ 2500, 3500, etc.

Sowa

Reaction score
It’ll swap right over. All the lower switch banks are interchangeable between all trim levels, 5th gen 1500s, 2019+ 2500, 3500, etc.

Thanks Jimmy.

This one might be a far shot but I'm looking at grabbing the screen and module out of a 1500.

Module P/N: 68429169AE

I'm sort of assuming here the enclosures are the same and it will bolt right in. Or does an HD truck require an HD module?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy.

This one might be a far shot but I'm looking at grabbing the screen and module out of a 1500.

Module P/N: 68429169AE

I'm sort of assuming here the enclosures are the same and it will bolt right in. Or does an HD truck require an HD module?
Same thing as well...

Sowa

Reaction score
Screen, bezel and module are inbound ETA next week. Bypass Cable purchased from KAOdTECH and shipped.

I have AlphaOBD installed already on my phone and happen to get obdmx module as a gift a few years back.

I'm missing the LVDS cable, anyone happen to do this on a HD and have the p/n handy. I read through the whole thread once and have P/N 68082364AC written down as a possible solution. Just want to ensure this will be the correct length.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm missing the LVDS cable, anyone happen to do this on a HD and have the p/n handy. I read through the whole thread once and have P/N 68082364AC written down as a possible solution. Just want to ensure this will be the correct length.
This PN will work just fine.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I’m wanting to know is how or if we can update these manually because I’m pretty sure they won’t be sending updates to these transplanted units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
What I’m wanting to know is how or if we can update these manually because I’m pretty sure they won’t be sending updates to these transplanted units

Why'd you want to update the radio?
If you don't have any problems with it, DON'T.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm good point but non the less what’s the answer lol

You go on https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html
You then insert the VIN from the vehicle you got the module from, download the files(If an update is required) to a thumb-drive and plug it into the #1 USB port. You will have instructions in the Drive Uconnect website for how to complete the procedure.

Gottabdxheese

Reaction score
What’s the secret to sourcing these parts....specifically that module?!? Been looking on lkq and car-parts but nothing ever shows available for me. After reading through this thread, I feel like I’m ready....just need the parts!!!LOL

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the secret to sourcing these parts....specifically that module?!? Been looking on lkq and car-parts but nothing ever shows available for me. After reading through this thread, I feel like I’m ready....just need the parts!!!LOL
I posted here on the forum that i'm looking, Found everything pretty quick... ended up buying the module from a great guy in this forum and the screen and bezel from my dealer...
If you're willing to pay a little more, you will get some offers from different members here...

Users who are viewing this thread