5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

dougstheman86

Reaction score
So BCM changes definitely didn’t take, volume knobs not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougstheman86

Reaction score
I will wait until tomorrow when my OBDLINK MX gets here and attempt to make the BCM changes.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Do any of them needed BCM changes enable the back up camera? That isn’t working either...

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
85f26e6c08d63e98b86cb4ebcd05f647.jpg

I went from 5” to this and everything powered up after repinning the connector that goes to the screen. I have no Hvac control though. I also don’t have the volume or tune buttons working. Any help? A little background.... this is a 2019 bighorn originally came with the 5” uconnect system 7 speed fan HVAC manual controls.
1208c1a20a0c7550eaf9b8e777930641.jpg

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Heck post #309 that’s what you need to do

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
What about my HVAC controls?? I have read that with the 8.4” you had to buy a separate module that goes in the panel on the passenger side ? Do I have to do the same? Wiring?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What about my HVAC controls?? I have read that with the 8.4” you had to buy a separate module that goes in the panel on the passenger side ? Do I have to do the same? Wiring?

Since the 12” screen isn’t capable of single zone manual temperature control, which your BCM is programmed for, you’re gonna have to use AlfaOBD to change it to dual zone ATC and try to run the screen controls in manual mode synced up. It’ll never truly run right unless you add the in car temperature sensor and the four in-duct temperature sensors. I made a Y cable for a member on another forum so he could run the HVAC off of the old manual controls until he gets the temp sensors, I’m working on a harness to add them.
3xaC5wp.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum purchased the 12” set up from infotainment?

I know of a few who have. Is that where you got yours? If so, that’s why your controls don’t work at all. Their genie sets the wrong setting in the BCM, and they don’t know how to get them to work when going from a 5” to a 12”.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
I just hope this other OBD tool I have coming in tomorrow solves my issues I’m having. Knobs don’t work....

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
I didn’t get mine from infotainment, I sourced all the pieces and purchased them all. Plugged it all in after repinning the one connector and everything worked with the exception of HVAC controls and volume/tune knobs. I was wondering if someone that did get the unit from infotainment would be willing to rent out their programmer..... if not I’ll go to the dealer and see if they can/will do it.

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
7db209de547ac440426cc8515ae8398a.jpg

This is the back of my 5” unit. The top right plug as viewed from the back is blue.... there is no blue connector on the 12” module. Where does that plug into? I have a red, white, blue, grey plug and the main harness. Everything has a spot on the 12” module except for the blue...... any help?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t get mine from infotainment, I sourced all the pieces and purchased them all. Plugged it all in after repinning the one connector and everything worked with the exception of HVAC controls and volume/tune knobs. I was wondering if someone that did get the unit from infotainment would be willing to rent out their programmer..... if not I’ll go to the dealer and see if they can/will do it.

The genies from infotainment are VIN locked. The dealer will be a crap shoot if that sales code populates to enable for your VIN. It *might* populate if your trim level truck was offered with auto temp control as an option.
Edit to add: The dealer definitely won’t be able to get the settings changed for your volume and tune knob to work.

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
The genies from infotainment are VIN locked. The dealer will be a crap shoot if that sales code populates to enable for your VIN. It *might* populate if your trim level truck was offered with auto temp control as an option.

So I’d have to ask them to see if my level truck was offered with auto temp? I know it did not come with it originally. Could I figure that out somehow with my vin? Is there anyone in the forum that could look that up? Anyone dealer affiliated here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/