5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Gonzom

Reaction score
Here's the link for the Tazer DT. If you don't want the added features and cost you can just get the bypass module from z auto as well. I just happened to already have the Tazer.

Tazer DT:

Bypass module only:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So the by pass module even tho it says Durango an Cherokee it will work on the ram ? So I would need that an jus the obd an well the alphaobd app an I’m golden ??

Yellotsacul

Reaction score
So the by pass module even tho it says Durango an Cherokee it will work on the ram ? So I would need that an jus the obd an well the alphaobd app an I’m golden ??
Looks like it's just showing you instructions for installing on the durango/Cherokee. It says in the print it supports all fca vehicles 2018+.

Yes you just need the bypass module, a bluetooth obd scanner (that's confirmed to work with the alpha program because not all of them do), and the alpha OBD software on your windows laptop. The Android version does not give you the option needed to make the necessary changes yet.

This is just the final step in the process though. You need to make sure you have the connector repinned that plugs into the screen or you will have issues. You also need the LVDS cable if your are coming from a non-nav setup. I'm assuming you know that already but just wanted to reiterate.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I just did it in my truck. Went from non nav 8.4 to 12". Took about 30 min total to swap out and program. Dont be scared it's rather easy
Did you have any issues with screen not coming on.
I updated the post above. Yes volume and every other button works as intended. Took about an hour for the radio to pull the BCM setting for SiriusXM, heated seats etc. A bonus the screen also turn on every time.
I did this exact procedure non Nav 8.4 to 12.1 Worked perfect with the correct cables of course. Added cellular antenna and wifi/bluetooth antenna. All works. Now if we can get a similar trick to get passive proximity entry to work.

Gonzom

Reaction score
Looks like it's just showing you instructions for installing on the durango/Cherokee. It says in the print it supports all fca vehicles 2018+.

Yes you just need the bypass module, a bluetooth obd scanner (that's confirmed to work with the alpha program because not all of them do), and the alpha OBD software on your windows laptop. The Android version does not give you the option needed to make the necessary changes yet.

This is just the final step in the process though. You need to make sure you have the connector repinned that plugs into the screen or you will have issues. You also need the LVDS cable if your are coming from a non-nav setup. I'm assuming you know that already but just wanted to reiterate.

Yeah the screen turns on after I take the fuse for the radio off but everything has been done by the post on here I just need to program it with bypass module an the alpha obd

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here as I just got my RAM. I want to go from 8.4 non NAV to 8.4 NAV. I know a lot of you guys went from 8.4 NAV to 12 NAV. I was wondering if someone got a 8.4 NAV screen+module+whatever it need to sell? Also, the bezel from the 8.4 non NAV (plastic black) to 8.4 NAV (piano gloss black) seem different in shape. Does someone have this bezel also for sale?

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Did you have any issues with screen not coming on.

I did this exact procedure non Nav 8.4 to 12.1 Worked perfect with the correct cables of course. Added cellular antenna and wifi/bluetooth antenna. All works. Now if we can get a similar trick to get passive proximity entry to work.
the sceen will not turn on till you make the 2 changes to the BCM.

Bram2019

Reaction score
the sceen will not turn on till you make the 2 changes to the BCM.
Yes I know. It is because a non Nav truck bcm is looking for the all in one unit which the non nav is. The others are 2 piece. Should have thought about this before I posted.

Mark985

Reaction score
This is available on prime shipping and can be used as SGW bypass to make changes to the BCM. Just unplug the Security gateway under the dash and plug this in. Then you will plug your scanner into it. When finished return the connectors the the SGW.

Have you or has anyone on here tested this Bypass module on the new Ram? It doesn’t show compatible on Amazon.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here as I just got my RAM. I want to go from 8.4 non NAV to 8.4 NAV. I know a lot of you guys went from 8.4 NAV to 12 NAV. I was wondering if someone got a 8.4 NAV screen+module+whatever it need to sell? Also, the bezel from the 8.4 non NAV (plastic black) to 8.4 NAV (piano gloss black) seem different in shape. Does someone have this bezel also for sale?
bump - so no one got anything?

Bram2019

Reaction score
This is just the bypass module. Works perfect to bypass the gateway. You still need a obd adapter and software like alfaobd to do whats needed. Everything is in this thread.

Gonzom

Reaction score
This is just the bypass module. Works perfect to bypass the gateway. You still need a obd adapter and software like alfaobd to do whats needed. Everything is in this thread.
Oh ok cool yeah I’ve been reading on this for a while jus wanna have my ducks in a row to do so.

Gonzom

Reaction score
So with the module I would just connect use the obd scanner and the alphaobd software an everything should work? Also on the link it says you have to take it off for the dealer can hook up to it . Will that interrupt the nvm am make the settings go back to stock or would it continue to work after you set it up an remove it?

Bram2019

Reaction score
The 4 items needed are alfaobd, a windows laptop with bluetooth enabled, the gateway bypass module and the interface module plugged into the obd connector such as https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...nk&qid=1578839940&sprefix=obd,aps,174&sr=8-16
Anything you do with alfaobd will stay even when you remove the bypass module. The bypass module needs to be removed if you ever need to take it in for service. The witech software at the dealers will know the gateway is bypassed if left in place. Just remove it when you are done changing any setting and install the 2 plugs back in the gateway. It literally takes 10 seconds on a 1500. The only thing that will ever change your new settings, is if a tech does a vehicle restore with witech. That returns everything back to stock. Then you would need to change the settings again. Again all this info is available on this forum. If you have never done anything like this before, I suggest you find a buddy who is comfortable doing this. It is not hard but can be a little daunting when you see all the settings in the bcm.

Brewman

Reaction score
Is the center bezel available for purchase for the 12.0 screen on a Laramie that currently has an 8.4 4c/Nav, Laramie Level 2 group, and Advance Safety group, or is that a restricted item as well?

Gonzom

Reaction score
The 4 items needed are alfaobd, a windows laptop with bluetooth enabled, the gateway bypass module and the interface module plugged into the obd connector such as https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1WM9O7OTYQRMW&keywords=obdlink&qid=1578839940&sprefix=obd,aps,174&sr=8-16
Anything you do with alfaobd will stay even when you remove the bypass module. The bypass module needs to be removed if you ever need to take it in for service. The witech software at the dealers will know the gateway is bypassed if left in place. Just remove it when you are done changing any setting and install the 2 plugs back in the gateway. It literally takes 10 seconds on a 1500. The only thing that will ever change your new settings, is if a tech does a vehicle restore with witech. That returns everything back to stock. Then you would need to change the settings again. Again all this info is available on this forum. If you have never done anything like this before, I suggest you find a buddy who is comfortable doing this. It is not hard but can be a little daunting when you see all the settings in the bcm.
-Alright. Yeah I live in Tucson Az so idk if someone has done that here yet or Phoenix area

renzo2213

Reaction score
When I added blind spot sensors and mirrors with blindspot orange LEDs I opted for the ones with the cameras installed. It was a bit running the coax for the left, right, and front cameras but it is doable. I was able to get 360 view working with the swap. All the parts I picked up used and was able to do this for about $350. The front and rear cameras I pulled from damaged Pacifica side mirrors that I picked up cheap.
View attachment 42519 View attachment 42538

I’ve looked all over this thread, I can’t seem to find where you explain how you got the 360 cameras. My truck had the 12” screen already, just no 360. How’d you go about doing that? Can I just buy cameras off a junk truck and wire them to the module or is there something I need to change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread