5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Hey guys! Finally got this done! Coming from 8.4nav to the 12.1. Got AlphaOBD going, volume knob works, tuning knobs work. It seems my hazards are not working :/. Did I do something wrong? Does something need to be repinned? Any info will help thanks!

Attachments

• 20200117_113716.jpg
    20200117_113716.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 335

Yellotsacul

Reaction score
Hey guys! Finally got this done! Coming from 8.4nav to the 12.1. Got AlphaOBD going, volume knob works, tuning knobs work. It seems my hazards are not working :/. Did I do something wrong? Does something need to be repinned? Any info will help thanks!
(This only applies to 8.4 nav. Non nav only has 1 plug and it has to be completely rewired) The hazard wire for the 8.4 nav is on the plug with blue tape that is now not used with the 12.1. You would have to run a jumper between the plugs to go from the white/dark blue (position 8 I believe) to position 3 of the connector that goes into the back of the screen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rplante3108

Reaction score
(This only applies to 8.4 nav. Non nav only has 1 plug and it has to be completely rewired) The hazard wire for the 8.4 nav is on the plug with blue tape that is now not used with the 12.1. You would have to run a jumper between the plugs to go from the white/dark blue (position 8 I believe) to position 3 of the connector that goes into the back of the screen.

Thanks boss man! Sorry I havent gotten back to you yet on your PM. Was trying to figure it out and did until that. Doesnt someone sale the harness?

Yellotsacul

Reaction score
Thanks boss man! Sorry I havent gotten back to you yet on your PM. Was trying to figure it out and did until that. Doesnt someone sale the harness?
All good. Glad you got it working! If you are talking about a harness for the plugs, I don't know of anyone that sells anything like that. Infotainment has one they make and use but they won't sell **** separately.

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Ah got It. Let me see if I can find the post of the guy who made the harness. It might have been for the 8.4 non nav. Other post from people say " after doing alpha OBD, all the buttons and knobs work." I figured I was missing something else. Thanks for the info!

Bram2019

Reaction score
Check post 319. Possibly this guy knows or has an adapter. Read complete thread. It is here some place.

Njh3409

Reaction score
I’ve looked all over this thread, I can’t seem to find where you explain how you got the 360 cameras. My truck had the 12” screen already, just no 360. How’d you go about doing that? Can I just buy cameras off a junk truck and wire them to the module or is there something I need to change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the wiring is a big pain the butt for all the cameras. You have to get all 4 camera coax cables to the passenger side foot well for the module. Then the wiring for the module is power and can bus so 4 wires. This is not a light project at all. I made all my wiring from regular amazon Fakra coax and modified the connectors to save money. The factory wiring was crazy expensive. Depending on your grille you can modify it for the front camera. The tailgate handle is also different for the 360 vs the rear view only trucks. So you also have to change the rear camera. If you want to tackle send me a PM and I can assist as much as I can. If you can find a donor truck you could pull the wiring out of that would be perfect.

Gonzom

Reaction score
Cool what bypass module did you use an obd scanner. I did the sam but with non nav

LamboMitch

Reaction score
Yes the wiring is a big pain the butt for all the cameras. You have to get all 4 camera coax cables to the passenger side foot well for the module. Then the wiring for the module is power and can bus so 4 wires. This is not a light project at all. I made all my wiring from regular amazon Fakra coax and modified the connectors to save money. The factory wiring was crazy expensive. Depending on your grille you can modify it for the front camera. The tailgate handle is also different for the 360 vs the rear view only trucks. So you also have to change the rear camera. If you want to tackle send me a PM and I can assist as much as I can. If you can find a donor truck you could pull the wiring out of that would be perfect.

any idea how much they wanted for the parts? was the harness a stand alone that just had to be connected or was it part of the larger harness? did you have to run wires in the doors or was it already there? i have the 12 screen and was thinking of trying to add the 360 camera to it. thanks!!

JamesS

Reaction score
Do you happen to know the OEM part number for power harness for the cvpm? Is it part of the body harness?

azzx

Reaction score
Dont need body harness. cables for each camera to CVPM are sold separately.
My list of needed parts for 360 -- maybe missing a few things
I have not done anything yet.

Attachments

• 360 camera.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 172

JamesS

Reaction score
Looking for the wiring harness that plug into the cvpm
3e0493cb2a53868c52f6ee19748b07c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrentH

Reaction score
Im interested to as i have a 4th gen and going to try this as well just been waiting to buy the 12.1 with module and all parts not in pieces as i have only been able to find lately.
Did you find out anything about installing the 12.1 in the 4th Gen Ram?

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I am asking here, but does anyone here who swap his 8.4 nav to 12 nav is willing to sell his 8.4 nav with bezel etc? Looking for a 8.4 nav either complete or not! thanks!

lrobbi

Reaction score
I am asking here, but does anyone here who swap his 8.4 nav to 12 nav is willing to sell his 8.4 nav with bezel etc? Looking for a 8.4 nav either complete or not! thanks!
Hi. I would be willing but I am still in need of the last part module # 68317978AI Multi Media brain for the 12” screen. Soon as I get that last brain piece and get it up and working .... mines will be up for sale or heck trade it for this brain piece I need.

Users who are viewing this thread