5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Mark985

Reaction score
I have the entire setup in exc condition if anyone is interested. Will take PayPal to confirmed addresses only. DM me if your interested. $1200

Attachments

• C2F102CF-555F-426B-B503-13CB0B2E2A5E.jpeg
    C2F102CF-555F-426B-B503-13CB0B2E2A5E.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 438

Ram41313

Reaction score
I have the entire setup in exc condition if anyone is interested. Will take PayPal to confirmed addresses only. DM me if your interested. $1200
Is that other cable for if you don’t have nav?

Spencity87

Reaction score
I did the swap in my Laramie that originally had the 8.4 with Nav. When I first swapped in the 12” screen, it was blank. I then swapped out my radio module with the one that came with the 12” screen and everything powered on. Everything works except, the volume knob, tuning knob and the screen blank button. Pushing the volume knob will still turn off the unit though. The steering wheel volume buttons still work and the on screen radio controls also work. I haven’t been able to get updated software to flash the 12” to see if that would make the knobs work or not.
Do u have the serial number for the radio module?

Mkazan677

Reaction score
I got the screen, does anyone have the module cheaper than $700? Pm or text

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Is it possible to use someone else's security bypass along with the OBD plug in if it has already been used. Just seeing if anyone is willing to sell or take payment for usage of the device. Thanks

greggyd13

Reaction score
I’ll look on tech authority. Most likely there are wires from that connector that needs to transfer to the screen plug.
I do have that part figured out. The connector that has nowhere to go needs can hi, can low,power and ground that you can either pull from the HVAC harness or from the back of the radio/ . The issue is that the other functions not working. I tried the same upgrade and I was able to get everything turned on but the climate controls would not work and I have to believe that the earlier post was right, that it could be something with the auto climate or something like that. The infotainment guy did seem to figure it out but they want 4k for it!! yikes!
So Im stuck right now also .

greggyd13

Reaction score
I would bet it just needs to be unlocked at the dealer. The screens don't work at all when they come in, and are activated during the PDI process, as far as I know. Most likely, the dealer can get it to turn on for you. Head there... They may charge you a fee to do this.
That is not the case. THe screens do actually turn on but what is keeping them from turning on is the correct radio brain. they arent actually vin locked, they are only code locked. It would seem though that it is necessary to have the matching screen and matching brain.

greggyd13

Reaction score
Has any tried a proxi alignment? I know they dont exist for 2019 and 2020 non fiat models but the way everything sounds, that sounds like what is needed. It sounds like the data stream is not properly aligned. I'm not sure if all the programmers out there like obdmx+ or alfaobd have options to perform stuff like this

Rplante3108

Reaction score
When I called my local dealership to see how long it would be for just the radio, he told me there were 12 different options for the radio and that to make sure I got the correct one because there are no returns. So I think what I'm going to do, is fin a truck with my same options and with the 12 inch and get the vin off of that. Take it to the parts guy and order replacement screen,bezel and module. That way they are all the same. What are your thoughts? Because your truck came equipped with dual zone climate and you put in the screen and module not coded for it. It's not going to work right?

greggyd13

Reaction score
A Longhorn or Limited :D Ok the truth is I don't know but probably a very good audio shop and lots of $$$

But welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will get better options than what i suggested. It would help if you let us know what you have purchased and what you're looking for as a result. Is it just a larger screen your after? (more details the better)
Maybe someone out there can help. The issue is the vehicles need a proxy alignment. But the vehicle will have to be tricked to allow it because those only work on fiat based vehicles like grand cherokee. I have already confirmed this to be the case. But I'm hoping a FCA tech is on here and can tell us how. That is why other people are seeing one problem fixed then another springs up. Because the data is misaligned.

greggyd13

Reaction score
<-From the other thread, and since Ram doesn’t seem to be loosening their control or complexity of electronics I would wager 5th gen to be locked too. It’ll be good to get someone who really knows in here though.

Thanks for the explanation and I now get why you started a separate thread, but I’ll merge them as most folks interested in one will want to follow both anyways. Heck, I found a third, even older thread on the exact same topic. You are not alone! (y)
It's not a vin lock issue. It is a simple alignment issue. But the difficult part is a proxy alignment is only available for fiat based vehicles. If someone knows how to trick the programmers to allow, this, everyone's problems would be solved. I've already confirmed this to be the case.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a vin lock issue. It is a simple alignment issue. But the difficult part is a proxy alignment is only available for fiat based vehicles. If someone knows how to trick the programmers to allow, this, everyone's problems would be solved. I've already confirmed this to be the case.
Need to have someone that’s gonna do the infotainment install and also has AlfaOBD. That way, they can upload their BCM configuration before the install, and compare the new BCM configuration after the install to see exactly what the genie is doing/changing. Possibly send the two configurations to the AlfaOBD developer, although it doesn’t really support 5th gens, yet.

Gonzom

Reaction score
Pics are of the plug that needs rewired and the cable you will need if you don’t have nav first if you have nav your truck will have that connector. I was told the 12.1 module will be available by the end of February with unlockable code
Hello jus wondering how to repin the connector it jus shows a couple of pictures if you can send a pic of how to it would be great thanks

Gonzom

Reaction score
I have a 8.4 with Nav and purchased a 12 with module that came with it . When I hooked it up. The screen was blank and wipers went crazy. It would not work . I then installed my Original 8.4 back and the heat , radio wouldn’t work and I got a bunch of dash lights. I took it to dealer and they had to re program the truck and told me the AC module blow out. All of you that have the 8.4 with nav, Do not plug and play—- warning
Do I need another module ? Were do I get it and what part number is it?
Hello jus wondering if you had correct module

Njh3409

Reaction score
I am upgrading from 8.4 non nav to the 12. I got everything installed and the volume and tune knobs do not work as expected. The problem I have is once I shut off the truck and the screen goes off it will not turn on the next time I start the truck. The radio still plays and the SWC can adjust the volume. If I unplug the radio module and plug it back in the screen will turn on again. I have an alfaobd but I have no idea what to try to get it working correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread