5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still confused on this phase stuff. I have a 6 speaker with ANC. (Also E-torque if that makes a difference.) I just want better sound by upgrading speakers. Looking at the JL 3.5's mentioned predominantly, with bass blockers. Back to the phase, I should I install the new speakers phased the same as the ones being removed? Or make sure all are installed in phase? I would prefer to retain the ANC. Also, understanding the ohm difference in the factory vs aftermarket 3.5's, what are the suggestions for the door speakers, front and rear.

I installed all my speakers in phase. Others have matched phase to what was installed. No matter which you choose it won’t matter for the 3.5’s. ANC only comes into play when you swap the doors. Then you best bet is probably to match the phase of stock. I knew I was adding an amp and a sub and therefore deleting the ANC so I put everything in phase from the start.

Gozar

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I decided to do more to my stock system.
I had swapped out the dash speakers for a pr of Infinity 3032, but the sound has just pushed too much forward, I think the 3032's have less resistance then the door speakers.

So I bought the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XP6903C component kit with 3.5" 2-way dash and 6x9 woofer speaker, and a pr of the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X694 6x9 co-axial for the rear doors. As soon as I get my truck back from the dealer with its new Hybrid Power Unit I will do the deed. It was driving the loaner that really highlighted how much of the mids come from the door compared to my truck where the dash speakers overpower the front doors. g113XP6903C-F.jpg g113KFCX694-F.jpg

merdon1332000

Reaction score
what sub box is most people using? I've seen Fox, Ground shakers, etc. Any custom plans someone would like to share? 10's or 12's

HLE64

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I decided to do more to my stock system.
I had swapped out the dash speakers for a pr of Infinity 3032, but the sound has just pushed too much forward, I think the 3032's have less resistance then the door speakers.

So I bought the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XP6903C component kit with 3.5" 2-way dash and 6x9 woofer speaker, and a pr of the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X694 6x9 co-axial for the rear doors. As soon as I get my truck back from the dealer with its new Hybrid Power Unit I will do the deed. It was driving the loaner that really highlighted how much of the mids come from the door compared to my truck where the dash speakers overpower the front doors. View attachment 39447 View attachment 39448
Has anyone used and L-pad or resistors to lower the output of the dash speakers?

sman301

Reaction score
I see alot of people installing the JL audio C2 speaker. How about the C1? Is the C1 far from the C2?

sman301 sman301 sman301

Captain Stack

Reaction score
I just installed these in the dash and am extremely happy with the sound now. The tweeter in them I think makes a big difference. I can hear the voices and the high tones much better now. Only $35 on Crutchfield. Be sure to buy the suggested wiring harness too. Kicker Speakers.jpg

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only $35 on Crutchfield. Be sure to buy the suggested wiring harness too.

If you purchase from crutchfield and enter in your vehicle, they should automatically add the harnesses to your cart for free.....just add the speakers and then go to checkout, metra harnesses should be there.

GrapplerX

Reaction score
We have been selling very high quality boxes from SPL Boxes, they sound fantastic and look great, our customers are very happy and have be bringing in all their friends with the same vehicles.

Dual 10" Vented
Dual 10" sealed
Dual 12" sealed

Thank you

merdon1332000

Reaction score
Decide to go with fox boxes, I replaced all speakers this morning, that was fairly simple, dyno matted all doors the best I could and now comes the fun part of installing the amp. What did you ram lovers use for the mount and how did you attach to the wall? I don't really want to drill so I was thinking of using heavy duty magnets or velcro to attach a piece of 3/4 plywood and attach the amps to that. Any recommendation would be awesome

Turbo1895

Reaction score
Decide to go with fox boxes, I replaced all speakers this morning, that was fairly simple, dyno matted all doors the best I could and now comes the fun part of installing the amp. What did you ram lovers use for the mount and how did you attach to the wall? I don't really want to drill so I was thinking of using heavy duty magnets or velcro to attach a piece of 3/4 plywood and attach the amps to that. Any recommendation would be awesome

I just changed out all of my speakers (I have the base 6 speaker package with 8.4 screen) this past weekend and went with the JL audio C2's and they do sound great. Now I am gearing up to add an amp and dual subwoofers under the rear seats as well. I saw somewhere in this stereo mega thread that someone posted pictures where they added an amp behind the rear seat and looked like it fit real well. I need to go back and find those pictures again and also pull apart the rear seat to check how much room really exists to properly mount and vent an amp back there. My initial thought is that I want to bolt a piece of plywood to the sheetmetal backing and mount the amp to the plywood (I don't think magnets or velcro are going to work that well). I am also hoping to use the sound mat back there on everything and prevent any rattles that would be caused by the subs. Not sure if this is actually feasible until I pull it all apart and see what I actually got. If anyone else has photos of how they mounted there amp, they would be greatly appreciated!

Also I bought sound mat to use on the doors this weekend but didn't really see an easy way to apply it effectively. How and what did you end up doing the sound mat install?

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab - North Edition - Diamond Black Crystal Pearl

merdon1332000

Reaction score
I just changed out all of my speakers (I have the base 6 speaker package with 8.4 screen) this past weekend and went with the JL audio C2's and they do sound great. Now I am gearing up to add an amp and dual subwoofers under the rear seats as well. I saw somewhere in this stereo mega thread that someone posted pictures where they added an amp behind the rear seat and looked like it fit real well. I need to go back and find those pictures again and also pull apart the rear seat to check how much room really exists to properly mount and vent an amp back there. My initial thought is that I want to bolt a piece of plywood to the sheetmetal backing and mount the amp to the plywood (I don't think magnets or velcro are going to work that well). I am also hoping to use the sound mat back there on everything and prevent any rattles that would be caused by the subs. Not sure if this is actually feasible until I pull it all apart and see what I actually got. If anyone else has photos of how they mounted there amp, they would be greatly appreciated!

Also I bought sound mat to use on the doors this weekend but didn't really see an easy way to apply it effectively. How and what did you end up doing the sound mat install?

Hey Turbo,

So I just got the rear seat out and tried the velco, it would hold until I go off roading, so now I'm going to bolt/ screw into the metal, appears to be a knock out panel behind the rear passenger side I'm going to screw into. I cut the sound deading panel only where I plan to mount the amp and dyno matted the rest. Now starting to route the wiring and removing the ANC, using the cable paul from Netaudio.com made me

merdon1332000

Reaction score

For the doors - Since I have super long arms I just did as much as possible through the speaker openings, I cut a long length and pulled the paper back just slightly so that it was sticking to everything, slide in the hole as far back as I could get, then removed the rest of the paper and pressed down, from there I cut a ton of different smaller shapes and patched the rest. The black panel comes off, just needs t be sealed again, I didn't feel I needed to do all that yet, but I have so much of this matt left I might do it once it warms up

As for speakers I went with JBL GTO series ( basically the same as the C2) both are made by Harman now and both sounded about the same

Turbo1895

Reaction score
Hey Turbo,

So I just got the rear seat out and tried the velco, it would hold until I go off roading, so now I'm going to bolt/ screw into the metal, appears to be a knock out panel behind the rear passenger side I'm going to screw into. I cut the sound deading panel only where I plan to mount the amp and dyno matted the rest. Now starting to route the wiring and removing the ANC, using the cable paul from Netaudio.com made me
I assume that the harness you bought also gives you speaker level inputs for the amp as well? Still trying to decide on how I want to get the signal for the amp as well and exploring all options. Please let me know how yours works out.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assume that the harness you bought also gives you speaker level inputs for the amp as well? Still trying to decide on how I want to get the signal for the amp as well and exploring all options. Please let me know how yours works out.
Best option in my opinion is a PAC Amppro that goes behind the stereo and gives you a solid signal before the amp. Also has a remote turn on wire to attach to the amp. As far as mounting the amp, I think I will get some good adhesive, something similar to a liquid nails and glue some wood to the back wall, then dynomat over all of it.

merdon1332000

Reaction score
I like this cable since i don't need to remove the head unit, all connection are made under the seat. Still need a LOC like LC6i, either way you're out a few hundred dollars just to get a amp to work

Bram2019

Reaction score
Has anyone used and L-pad or resistors to lower the output of the dash speakers?
I added ceramic resistors to my infinty 3032 front speakers to more closely match original resistance. This helped with the speakers in the dash being too loud. Uxcell 10w 4 ohm ceramic cement resistor. Not perfect but better than it was.

RichInMN

Reaction score
On the back wall, there are a number of metal standoffs where wire clips plug in - they sit about 1/2" from the back wall. With some careful measurements you can screw your amp rack to these standoffs - this is the route I took, seemed to work well. Pics related :)

Feel free to message me if you have other questions, and good luck!

Attachments

• 20190722_131639.jpg
    20190722_131639.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190722_191658.jpg
    20190722_191658.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190722_193623.jpg
    20190722_193623.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 20190723_125809.jpg
    20190723_125809.jpg