5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Used my winch and mount the other day to pull out a SUV stuck in a snow bank. It was too easy. The couple in the SUV probably loved my setup more than I did that day.

I went home to verify the TQ on the bolts again and everything is still nice a snug.
Thanks for the reminder! I've used the winch twice now and need to recheck everything. Worked great for pulling out a couple of small tree stumps from the yard as well.

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Trying to keep these EVO Winches in stock. Little hard to read in the pic but head to the website to see why I really like installing this winch with our mounting kits.

https://www.vicedesign.ca/winches/warnevo12-s

Also If you add a EVO in your cart along with a Integrated Winch Mount - The winch will ship for FREE. The 12-s is on sale right now so not a bad time to pick up the perfect setup. Winch Mounts are in stock and Clutch relocation kits will be finished Next Week. So orders are shipping much quicker than before.

Winch-Evo-12s-website.PNG

Also If you Pre-ordered a kit and want our VICE Winch Strap, Send me an email - [email protected] and Ill mail you out one.

Stoked seeing all the pics of your trucks! Keep em coming!

Stony0604

Reaction score
I taped the hell out of the panels. Probably like 6 layers. Tape them half way up the panel.
This install really does require two people when it comes to fitting the mount and bumper.

If you try to do it alone the risk of something bad happening goes up exponentially. The mount/winch probably weighs ~140 pounds.

I used a floor jack, 2x4s, and ratcheting straps.
I didn’t take many photos, sorry. I ended up taping higher up on the panels before trying to fit my bumper.
My truck is ~4” higher than stock in the front. I also already had the air dam off the truck (their instructions don’t go over that).

The pic does not show the ratcheting straps.
View attachment 37201
View attachment 37202
Freaking cat's and boxes I swear

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look closer you can see the controller is off set so the cables run down I just reach in and push the locking tab and rotate the lid to the front of the truck kinda a flip the lid is very light there is slight resistance bending the cables if that makes sense

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Did a little customizing to the fairlead mount bracket as I wanted more of a factory+ look. About an inch was removed from the leg supports and then welded back in place. Powder coated the bracket with texture black to match the original finish and BAMM......now it fits behind the factory grill. Had to do some minor trimming to the grill as it is bowed while the fairlead mount bracket face is flat.

Here is where I am at right now. Rest will be finished tomorrow.

This is the best thing in this thread. Did you mount the fairlead back to the same plate? Or did you make a new one?

IMG_20191105_160245.jpg

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
This is the best thing in this thread. Did you mount the fairlead back to the same plate? Or did you make a new one?

View attachment 43576
Fairlead is mounted to the pictured fairlead mount with small metal spacers with the factory grill in between. Did not use the plate that was supplied by VICE as I wanted more of a factory look.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Fairlead is mounted to the pictured fairlead mount with small metal spacers with the factory grill in between. Did not use the plate that was supplied by VICE as I wanted more of a factory look.

I was referring to the fairlead mounting bracket. You cut about an inch from the leg supports. Then you welded it back to the plates that connect it to the primary winch mount plate. Did you weld it back to the same plates or did you make new ones? It seems shortening the legs would change where the legs attach to the brackets. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I was referring to the fairlead mounting bracket. You cut about an inch from the leg supports. Then you welded it back to the plates that connect it to the primary winch mount plate. Did you weld it back to the same plates or did you make new ones? It seems shortening the legs would change where the legs attach to the brackets. Thanks in advance.
Oh, now I understand your question. The legs were welded back to the original plates. Everything was mounted in to a jig, so the plates retained their original location. Where the legs attached after being shortened did end up being a different location, but still fit on the original plates.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Oh, now I understand your question. The legs were welded back to the original plates. Everything was mounted in to a jig, so the plates retained their original location. Where the legs attached after being shortened did end up being a different location, but still fit on the original plates.

Thank you for the response and very nice work. If I go with a winch I'm definitely gonna do this. Well, the metal shop I use is going to do this but ya know..

But this kind of begs the question, why not just weld the fairlead mounting bracket directly to the primary winch mount plate? Forgo the buts and bolts to hold the two parts together.

Best,
Leif

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Thank you for the response and very nice work. If I go with a winch I'm definitely gonna do this. Well, the metal shop I use is going to do this but ya know..

But this kind of begs the question, why not just weld the fairlead mounting bracket directly to the primary winch mount plate? Forgo the buts and bolts to hold the two parts together.

Best,
Leif
The easy answer is the winch mounting plate was already mounted to the truck and I didn't feel like removing it. It was simpler just to jig up the fairlead mount and modify it directly.

If you have a metal shop at the ready why not have them just make a winch mount? Would be more cost effective than to buy the VICE model then modify it. It was just time for me, so it was worth it for getting exactly what I wanted.

spinxt

Reaction score
Yeah, I already mounted the control pack on the opposite end of the clutch.

Clocking it is only if I have the clutch relocation kit, correct?
Make sure that Smittybilt solenoid is accessible. I’ve had to replace three of them on my Jeep Grand Cherokee’s winch. They suck, but I’ve heard from Warn owners that they have the same issues over time. For a components you may only use occasionally they sure are unreliable.

MikeDowsett

Reaction score
If you look closer you can see the controller is off set so the cables run down I just reach in and push the locking tab and rotate the lid to the front of the truck kinda a flip the lid is very light there is slight resistance bending the cables if that makes sense
Thanks Chippy. Any chance you could take a quick photo for me please ? I’m going to mount my control box ’there’ on Friday.
Thank you.
Mike

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
The easy answer is the winch mounting plate was already mounted to the truck and I didn't feel like removing it. It was simpler just to jig up the fairlead mount and modify it directly.

If you have a metal shop at the ready why not have them just make a winch mount? Would be more cost effective than to buy the VICE model then modify it. It was just time for me, so it was worth it for getting exactly what I wanted.

Maybe so. And since I may need a snow plow a metal shop might be able to make one mount that accomplishes both.

Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread