5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R

Rob5589

Question for you guys; how much front suspension sag, if any, did you notice after install?

RichT

Reaction score
I'd say 1/2" or so. Part of the reason I had previously leveled. Feels very planted now between this and my topper.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Did a little customizing to the fairlead mount bracket as I wanted more of a factory+ look. About an inch was removed from the leg supports and then welded back in place. Powder coated the bracket with texture black to match the original finish and BAMM......now it fits behind the factory grill. Had to do some minor trimming to the grill as it is bowed while the fairlead mount bracket face is flat.

Here is where I am at right now. Rest will be finished tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_160245.jpg
    IMG_20191105_160245.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20191110_153837.jpg
    IMG_20191110_153837.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20191110_170727.jpg
    IMG_20191110_170727.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20191110_181428.jpg
    IMG_20191110_181428.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 320

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Did a little customizing to the fairlead mount bracket as I wanted more of a factory+ look. About an inch was removed from the leg supports and then welded back in place. Powder coated the bracket with texture black to match the original finish and BAMM......now it fits behind the factory grill. Had to do some minor trimming to the grill as it is bowed while the fairlead mount bracket face is flat.

Here is where I am at right now. Rest will be finished tomorrow.

You’re a patient man! Love it... was thinking about doing the exact same thing, but there’s no way I’ll be pulling that bumper back off anytime soon.

Looks great!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Ok, all done. Powder coated the clutch handle and the head of the hook handle bolt with more texture black so it would blend in better. Primed and painted the base for the clutch handle and the screws that hold the clutch cam as they were already rusting. Also installed a small portion of rock guard where the hook comes in contact with the silver painted portion of the bumper. Came out just the way I wanted it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_105159.jpg
    IMG_20191111_105159.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20191111_113705.jpg
    IMG_20191111_113705.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20191111_150532.jpg
    IMG_20191111_150532.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20191111_150828.jpg
    IMG_20191111_150828.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 337

Moparmad74

Reaction score
Ok, all done. Powder coated the clutch handle and the head of the hook handle bolt with more texture black so it would blend in better. Primed and painted the base for the clutch handle and the screws that hold the clutch cam as they were already rusting. Also installed a small portion of rock guard where the hook comes in contact with the silver painted portion of the bumper. Came out just the way I wanted it.

If I end up adding a winch this is exactly what I will do, thanks for proving it out, great job. Only thing I would change is cut that hook off and install a Factor 55 flatlink or ultrahook, cleans things up even more.

6535b37b47cc63ce692369ef39e89440.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BmoreStew

Reaction score

No doubt it’s the best looking install so far. You’re not worried about having the facia plastic sandwiched between the mount and the fairlead or did you put a more substantial spacer of some sort between them?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
No doubt it’s the best looking install so far. You’re not worried about having the facia plastic sandwiched between the mount and the fairlead or did you put a more substantial spacer of some sort between them?
I've got steel spacers cut to length, around 1/2", that have the same interior diameter to match up with the bolts. So the grill has about a mm gap and the fairlead doesn't crush it.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
If I end up adding a winch this is exactly what I will do, thanks for proving it out, great job. Only thing I would change is cut that hook off and install a Factor 55 flatlink or ultrahook, cleans things up even more.

6535b37b47cc63ce692369ef39e89440.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll have to check the dimensions. Since the fairlead sits in the grill that large of a flatlink may be too tall.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Did you spool the line under tension yet with that setup?

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

Put a video together to help walk you through the process! We're engineers not public speakers so excuse our awkwardness haha!

Just a note - Filmed this a bit ago while it was still a prototype to test fitment so you'll notice the parts in your kit are beefier and more refined

-Q

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nicest install so far for sure. I think it should of came this way from vice to install rather than sticking out so far and having to use the filler panel. Bang head here

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Nicest install so far for sure. I think it should of came this way from vice to install rather than sticking out so far and having to use the filler panel. Bang head here

I wonder if the length of the fairlead mount and filler panel was a requirement to allow one kit for both rebel and non-rebel.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I wonder if the length of the fairlead mount and filler panel was a requirement to allow one kit for both rebel and non-rebel.
I also think that the use of their filler panel would make the installation easier. Modifying the grill, extending the clutch handle attachment, extending the winch hook arm, added a substantial amount of time to the installation. Granted now a template could be provided if I wanted to remove the bumper again.

MQQSE

Reaction score
Amazing stuff guys, great show, love the clean look and excellent video to help others. Two thumbs up!!!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Used my winch and mount the other day to pull out a SUV stuck in a snow bank. It was too easy. The couple in the SUV probably loved my setup more than I did that day.

I went home to verify the TQ on the bolts again and everything is still nice a snug.

Users who are viewing this thread