5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What?? They are already doing a facelift? Is the limited going to change too?

It's about the right timing, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 would be the 4th model year. Same for the Silverado I think, they have a whole new interior for 2022 as well.

Ford did their mid-cycle also on the 4th model year of their last gen, however did their redesign on the 7th year 2021. Probably sync up closer to RAM and GM with their 2019 redesigns and get ahead of the 2022 mid-cycles by introducing an all-new 2021.

I suspect RAM will make the front ends and most likely headlights look closer to the limited's more "slanted" narrower headlights, which is also on the TRX. The limited models will likely get some sort of facia changes as well, along with tail lights for all trims, different wheel designs, etc.

RAM isn't exactly known for making big changes to their designs, at least in the past, but with the current competition and the importance of trucks to their bottom line, expect that to happen more often.

Last edited:

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I feel like with stellantis buying FCA out that they would milk things a little more for profit but im sure FCA had plans for a refresh before the buyout was thought of

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I feel like with stellantis buying FCA out that they would milk things a little more for profit but im sure FCA had plans for a refresh before the buyout was thought of

Absolutely, these updates were scheduled well before the "merger". However, they can't stay still for too long, GM and Ford aren't staying still, RAM is already behind on the drivestrain side, they have to match at least what GM is doing.

The 2019 RAM was a "watershed" year for RAM, introducing a truck that broke the standard, especially with the interior. They have won "Truck of the Year" 3 years in a row, with all new introductions of the 2019 RAM, their 1500 class diesel a year later and the TRX just this year.

They cannot afford to slip behind, or they will be back to being about the "deal" instead of the product like before.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Absolutely, these updates were scheduled well before the "merger". However, they can't stay still for too long, GM and Ford aren't staying still, RAM is already behind on the drivestrain side, they have to match at least what GM is doing.

The 2019 RAM was a "watershed" year for RAM, introducing a truck that broke the standard, especially with the interior. They have won "Truck of the Year" 3 years in a row, with all new introductions of the 2019 RAM, their 1500 class diesel a year later and the TRX just this year.

They cannot afford to slip behind, or they will be back to being about the "deal" instead of the product like before.

To a company as large as Stellantis depending on how the ram does maybe they want it to flop as an attempt to "rebrand and reimagine" themselves.

I do agree though, i never would have bought one of these trucks until this generation came out, so I hope they help improve and do not fall further behind.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
To a company as large as Stellantis depending on how the ram does maybe they want it to flop as an attempt to "rebrand and reimagine" themselves.

I do agree though, i never would have bought one of these trucks until this generation came out, so I hope they help improve and do not fall further behind.

Absolutely, I think they will play to their strengths, the CEO already mentioned putting big investments in the US market for trucks and SUVs (i.e. RAM & Jeep), the big money makers for FCA. Small hybrid crossovers in Europe seems to be what the European operations wants, though similar to the US as well there.

Here is a link for the 2022 Silverado facelift, pretty much confirms to expect something similar for RAM: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/02/2022-silverado-spy-shots-reveal-revised-headlights/

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Pretty sure this line of thinking is about 100% wrong. They are a for profit publicly owned company.
Thats why they would avoid re tooling until the last minute and milk the current event. Spending money later saves money now.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thats why they would avoid re tooling until the last minute and milk the current event. Spending money later saves money now.

That's certainly what they did with the Challengersaurus and Chargersaurus, and they did it all the way to the bank. Even outselling the more modern & advanced Camaro with such old platforms that have only seen very minor updates through the decades plus years.

However, with the RAM, they can't let it ripe on the vine too long because Ford and GM are doing tangible updates. They hit the ball out of the ballpark with the current RAM, easily the best truck on the market at the time.

They now have to lead or at least keep up or risk letting the F-series and Silverado pull away. You have an all-new F150 this year and a refreshed Silverado next year. RAM can't say they got nothing new.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram & Jeep are the only valuable (to PSA) parts of FCA. They are definitely NOT going to 'milk' them and starve them of development resources. The other brands however..... 😕

river rat

Reaction score
Frankly, its obvious RAM spent all of their time and money on the interior, then the exterior. The drivetrain is essentially forklifted from previous gen (etorque doesn't count, its just an electric starter). A new engine/trans combo with a few tweaks here and there and you have yet another winner.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Frankly, its obvious RAM spent all of their time and money on the interior, then the exterior. The drivetrain is essentially forklifted from previous gen (etorque doesn't count, its just an electric starter). A new engine/trans combo with a few tweaks here and there and you have yet another winner.
They have so many 5.7 Hemi engines supposedly in storage, that they stopped production a few years ago (or so I read), and have enough to go for a while yet. I'm hoping they finish the rumored turbo inline 6 they were developing at one point. The transmissions are just fine the way they are, other than tiny improvements to their reliability, of which is already stellar most of the time compared to the competition.

They have pledged to put resources into Chrysler to make it relevant again, but the only vehicle worth the investment right now is probably the minivans.
Once the V8 era is over, I see Dodge slowly fading away, sadly. Even the Durango's shoes could be taken up by the Wagoneer, if they price the lower trims right.

Who knows though, they may decide to make a Dodge electric sedan, maybe a new Charger (yes, partly a dad joke, sorry).

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The ZF8 speeds are essentially World class and the Hemi is excellent! The issue will be how they move forward with the V8. The RAM brand is known as the Hemi brand, so there is going to be an issue with going forward.

They need to change with the times, they are currently lagging GM & Ford on the engine front, both with choices & technology, but they need to do it without losing a big chunk of why they are popular. How they navigate through that in the future will be interesting.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have so many 5.7 Hemi engines supposedly in storage, that they stopped production a few years ago (or so I read), and have enough to go for a while yet. I'm hoping they finish the rumored turbo inline 6 they were developing at one point. The transmissions are just fine the way they are, other than tiny improvements to their reliability, of which is already stellar most of the time compared to the competition.

They have pledged to put resources into Chrysler to make it relevant again, but the only vehicle worth the investment right now is probably the minivans.
Once the V8 era is over, I see Dodge slowly fading away, sadly. Even the Durango's shoes could be taken up by the Wagoneer, if they price the lower trims right.

Who knows though, they may decide to make a Dodge electric sedan, maybe a new Charger (yes, partly a dad joke, sorry).
They have never stopped making the Hemi. Saltillo Mexico makes all the 5.7/6.2/6.4 V8s.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually it's a starter only in the sense that it is an electric motor that has a lot more boost than an old "just a starter". It is also the generator/alternator that make all the voltage that these new trucks need to run all the computers and other electronics. "just a starter" indeed. 😜

Last edited:

sc1500

Reaction score
Hmm. Seems Friday FCA announced short notice cutoff of 2021 orders to today 3/1. From donlen build out dates. No advanced warning.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Probably because they don't want people taking delivery of a 2021 in August. I have seen quite a few dealers quoting 17 week wait times for trucks...that would be pushing July.

Users who are viewing this thread