5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500

mophead

Reaction score
Hmm. Seems Friday FCA announced short notice cutoff of 2021 orders to today 3/1. From donlen build out dates. No advanced warning.
I went to the Donlen site. What does this mean? Is this fleet only? How does it affect us buyers contemplating ordering a truck?

Polo08816

Reaction score
I'm curious how substantial that 2023 refresh will be. I'm hoping they will put the Uconnect 5 into the 2022 model year. 2023 refresh should be about capabilities and remedying the lowest payload in the class.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting - My lease ends in March 2022, I'll have to decide if I go with a proven design in the 2022 or buy the truck and wait for the 2023 refresh... Really hope 2022 brings UConnect5 and more standard or available safety/tech on the big horn and the refresh is more about styling updates and engine choices.

HRCfan1

Reaction score
Waiting for the 2023 TRX and then I'm going to upgrade.

Curious. What will the 2023 TRX have that the 21 & 22 don’t have? Heard there was a “baby” TRX coming in 22 but that is all I have heard about future TRXs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They need to change with the times, they are currently lagging GM & Ford on the engine front, both with choices & technology, but they need to do it without losing a big chunk of why they are popular.

GM’s twins suffer with a small 24 gallon gas tank. Ford’s interior sucks. Each manufacturer is lagging in some capacity.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
GM’s twins suffer with a small 24 gallon gas tank. Ford’s interior sucks. Each manufacturer is lagging in some capacity.

Sure, but the drivetrain is a "BIG" thing compared to an interior or fuel tank size. I've never heard anyone complain about GM trucks tank sizes either, and we own a current Silverado. In fact, they are the ones known for crappy interiors (I make fun of my wife about it all the time). And when I owned my 2015 F150, the interior wasn't considered crappy until the 2019 RAM came around.

HRCfan1

Reaction score
Sure, but the drivetrain is a "BIG" thing compared to an interior or fuel tank size. I've never heard anyone complain about GM trucks tank sizes either, and we own a current Silverado. In fact, they are the ones known for crappy interiors (I make fun of my wife about it all the time). And when I owned my 2015 F150, the interior wasn't considered crappy until the 2019 RAM came around.

I agree. The 6.2 with the 10spd is a really good power train. Not to mention the GMs will get a new interior this year so should be pretty good competition.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Drivetrain could still be up for debate though. GM & Ford’s powertrain don’t appeal to me.

The 6.2 has great power, but I don’t want direct injection. While Ford added port injection back into their DI engines; I’m not interested in the 3.5 and the DOHC 5.0 is too small.

It might be antiquated, but a port-injected, iron-block, pushrod V8 is exactly what I want.

Polo08816

Reaction score

I agree. The 6.2 with the 10spd is a really good power train. Not to mention the GMs will get a new interior this year so should be pretty good competition.

GM's small 24 gallon gas tank is unforgivable. I like their powertrain the best: 6.2L V8 with 10 speed. But if I have to pull into a gas station every 240 miles instead of every 300-360 miles towing with a 30-36 gallon fuel tank, it's a non starter.

I'm waiting for better incentives on all makes in 2022. A lot of updates/revisions will happen in the 1/2 ton market and there should be a lot more trucks that are closer in competition to the F150. Ford's improvements and features pretty much make it the top dog in the 1/2 ton market right now. Ram's interior is still better but Ford improved it to the point where I'm not holding it against Ford.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
GM's small 24 gallon gas tank is unforgivable. I like their powertrain the best: 6.2L V8 with 10 speed. But if I have to pull into a gas station every 240 miles instead of every 300-360 miles towing with a 30-36 gallon fuel tank, it's a non starter.

I'm waiting for better incentives on all makes in 2022. A lot of updates/revisions will happen in the 1/2 ton market and there should be a lot more trucks that are closer in competition to the F150. Ford's improvements and features pretty much make it the top dog in the 1/2 ton market right now. Ram's interior is still better but Ford improved it to the point where I'm not holding it against Ford.

Luckily my wife's Silverado has the 28 gallon tank, plus her 5.3L gets almost 20 mpg real world. My 26 gallon Rebel with 13 mpg real world is a bit of a pain, should got the larger tank but the deal was too good to pass up.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They put the 6.4 in the Grand Wagoneer, why not the Ram?

Probably by sheer volume and CAFE number hit it would cause. The Grand Wagoneer starts at almost $80,000, equipped as most will be, probably $90,000 plus. The volume won't harm FCA's corporate mpg rating that a 6.4L would in a volume RAM 1500 model.

However, putting that motor in a TRX "Lite" model of some sort is likely. The Grand Wagoneer's 6.4L makes 471 hp/ 455 lb-ft of torque, so they got the SRT version instead of the Power Wagons 410 hp variant, which would be a nice motor in a TRX platform. With a low enough volume not to hurt CAFE too much.

I don't expect a 6.4L in a regular RAM however, only a low volume model.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably by sheer volume and CAFE number hit it would cause. The Grand Wagoneer starts at almost $80,000, equipped as most will be, probably $90,000 plus. The volume won't harm FCA's corporate mpg rating that a 6.4L would in a volume RAM 1500 model.

However, putting that motor in a TRX "Lite" model of some sort is likely. The Grand Wagoneer's 6.4L makes 471 hp/ 455 lb-ft of torque, so they got the SRT version instead of the Power Wagons 410 hp variant, which would be a nice motor in a TRX platform. With a low enough volume not to hurt CAFE too much.

I don't expect a 6.4L in a regular RAM however, only a low volume model.
Agreed. If they came out with a TRX "Lite" with the 392, like they've done with the Wrangler and the Grand Wagoneer, and priced it around the same as an optioned out Limited, that would probably be my next truck if I don't go all electric, in a few years or more. (Depending on what the wife lets me get away with...)

I was going to wait for the Rivian truck, but the range is still just a tad low for out here in the rural plains.

PostPremium

Reaction score

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the 2022 will have Uconnect 5.

“By 2022”...does that mean by 1/1/2022, or 12/31/2022? Based on past experience, I wouldn’t bank on the 2022 models (which will arrive in 2021, of course).

SD Rebel

Reaction score
“By 2022”...does that mean by 1/1/2022, or 12/31/2022? Based on past experience, I wouldn’t bank on the 2022 models (which will arrive in 2021, of course).

It's 2022 model year. Considering that the Silverado will have a facelift for the 2022 model year, RAM is going to need something to offer for that model year as well, if not a facelift as well, then at least they get Uconnect 5 :)

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will believe it when I see it, as I've said before. Makes way more sense to me to roll out UConnect 5 with your refresh, which will supposedly be 2023 MY (so late 2022, in theory).

We've also heard FCA/Stellantis, in the past quite frequently, say something was coming by a certain model year, only for it to be delayed for one or two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/