5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Looks like the 2022 will have Uconnect 5.

I'll believe it when I see it. That article is a year old and doesn't account for the pandemic or the chip shortage, so it wouldn't surprise me if it gets pushed. Beyond that, getting into nitpicky details, the article says SiriusXM 360L was introduced with the 2020 1500, not the 2019 it was actually introduced with, so that makes the whole article suspect for me.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will believe it when I see it, as I've said before. Makes way more sense to me to roll out UConnect 5 with your refresh, which will supposedly be 2023 MY (so late 2022, in theory).

We've also heard FCA/Stellantis, in the past quite frequently, say something was coming by a certain model year, only for it to be delayed for one or two years.

They confirmed the refresh year is 2023 model year?

MLB12

Reaction score

In looking at the preliminary information, it looks like it might be a simple add-on, at least if you already have the XFQ option on the truck . It appears to use the same 12-pin connector that you would get with the available single camera kit(82215770) that you would purchase at the dealer.
When it is available, and presuming it might be offered as an over-the-counter kit, it would likely require a dealer flash, but maybe it could be handled with AlfaOBD?
Only time will tell, but the key is having Mother MOPAR offer a DIY package.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GM’s twins suffer with a small 24 gallon gas tank. Ford’s interior sucks. Each manufacturer is lagging in some capacity.
Truck negatives by brand, from the point of view of someone who enjoys their Ram and is brand loyal.
Realistically? I could spec out (and probably like) a truck for any of these 5. Any of them.

GM:
- no rear locker
- 5.3L V8 is a little anemic for a V8 in 2021
- the 6.2L V8 is awesome, but it requires premium fuel
- no rear locker (worth mentioning twice. if you cannot select it manually on your dash, it doesn't count)
- frames are coated in wax that can be removed with your fingernail, at last I'd checked
- the interiors :(
- some hate the aesthetics, some do not
- Not available with factory 33in tires

Ford:
- Aluminum bed floor, bedliner is practically required.
- Tons of engine selection! ....if you like small displacement turbo V6s. They have 1x V8 and 1x diesel. It's the illusion of choices.
- drawbacks associated with the ecoboosts, (Keep in mind the AVERAGE age of a vehicle in the US is 11.9 years. Ecoboost has been in the F-150 for less than that time. A few years of highway mileage is a 2foot putt for any modern vehicle. The jury is still out on ecoboost longevity, in my opinion. There is a reason they were not put in the super duties.) like sounding like weedwhacker.
- Can't get a Tremor model with a V8
- Can't get an FX4 with true factory all terrains (real ones)
- Cost is often high for what you're really getting

RAM:
- 1x V8 engine option (etorque is a variant), 1x diesel option
- Payload door stickers are low, due to coil springs
- Rebels were advertised with bilstien reservoir shocks, they went away without explanation
- Air suspension vs cold weather is a bit on the scary side for some drivers!
- Having to hear other brand's drivers pretend you're jealous of them in any sort of way.
- Dropped their iconic crosshair grille and upset some of the brand loyal buyers
(I'm a Rebel buyer who loved both Rebels, not a crosshair guy; I'm still thinking they needed to offer 2 options on this one)
- Not available in single cab/long bed configuration.

Toyota:
- Oldest truck in the segment
- Payloads are decent but not great
- Spartan interiors, it's very 2013.
- 1 Real engine option, and it's very "blah"
- 6 speed transmission
- High cost for the Toyota name
- Perceived brand quality doesn't translate to any actual longevity past what another brands truck can provide
- Limited options
- MPG isn't great

Nissan:
- Also a facelifted older truck, if we're being honest.
- Small overlap crash tests were frightening (last I checked)
- Packaging is kinda odd, options are limited
- the MPG is supposed to be absolutely brutal and worst in the class.
- Questions about if the automaker will be around in the future/in the truck segment, puts people off on buying the trucks
- Polarizing styling

mophead

Reaction score
Just putting this here... 22 Laramie's will have the adaptive lighting available (at least as an option). WILL happen if I order a 21.

traveller09

Reaction score
Truck negatives by brand, from the point of view of someone who enjoys their Ram and is brand loyal.
Realistically? I could spec out (and probably like) a truck for any of these 5. Any of them.

GM:
- no rear locker
- 5.3L V8 is a little anemic for a V8 in 2021
- the 6.2L V8 is awesome, but it requires premium fuel
- no rear locker (worth mentioning twice. if you cannot select it manually on your dash, it doesn't count)
- frames are coated in wax that can be removed with your fingernail, at last I'd checked
- the interiors :(
- some hate the aesthetics, some do not
- Not available with factory 33in tires

Ford:
- Aluminum bed floor, bedliner is practically required.
- Tons of engine selection! ....if you like small displacement turbo V6s. They have 1x V8 and 1x diesel. It's the illusion of choices.
- drawbacks associated with the ecoboosts, (Keep in mind the AVERAGE age of a vehicle in the US is 11.9 years. Ecoboost has been in the F-150 for less than that time. A few years of highway mileage is a 2foot putt for any modern vehicle. The jury is still out on ecoboost longevity, in my opinion. There is a reason they were not put in the super duties.) like sounding like weedwhacker.
- Can't get a Tremor model with a V8
- Can't get an FX4 with true factory all terrains (real ones)
- Cost is often high for what you're really getting

RAM:
- 1x V8 engine option (etorque is a variant), 1x diesel option
- Payload door stickers are low, due to coil springs
- Rebels were advertised with bilstien reservoir shocks, they went away without explanation
- Air suspension vs cold weather is a bit on the scary side for some drivers!
- Having to hear other brand's drivers pretend you're jealous of them in any sort of way.
- Dropped their iconic crosshair grille and upset some of the brand loyal buyers
(I'm a Rebel buyer who loved both Rebels, not a crosshair guy; I'm still thinking they needed to offer 2 options on this one)
- Not available in single cab/long bed configuration.

Toyota:
- Oldest truck in the segment
- Payloads are decent but not great
- Spartan interiors, it's very 2013.
- 1 Real engine option, and it's very "blah"
- 6 speed transmission
- High cost for the Toyota name
- Perceived brand quality doesn't translate to any actual longevity past what another brands truck can provide
- Limited options
- MPG isn't great

Nissan:
- Also a facelifted older truck, if we're being honest.
- Small overlap crash tests were frightening (last I checked)
- Packaging is kinda odd, options are limited
- the MPG is supposed to be absolutely brutal and worst in the class.
- Questions about if the automaker will be around in the future/in the truck segment, puts people off on buying the trucks
- Polarizing styling

I like your comparison and think you are mostly spot on. I just ordered and put down a deposit on a Rebel ecodeisel this week and in my 2 year search/research the only thing I would disagree with you on, or add to what you said is this:

-I ordered the ecodiesel but I personally think the GM 3.0L Duramax is probably a better engine I really like the straight six (inspite of the 150K wet belt replacement controversy) .
-I dont think the Toyota is perceived quality, that truck is as bullet proof as they come (not to get flamed, again I just ordered the Rebel). Although old, I found the Toyota V8 peppy and fun to drive, more so than the Hemi. Very spartan truck over all and not comfortable. Hence, why we bought the RAM.
- I test drove a couple of Toyota's, RAM;s and the GMC AT4; they all had their likes and dislikes. The Ford F150, I kept looking on line and I couldnt be bothered to go to the dealer to drive one, they just didnt appeal to me.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tatoo'd on my forehead. I have quite the history with purchasing vehicles and the following year my most wanted option or upgrade is available.

Conversely if I do not manage to order a 21, they will NOT be available on the 22. Jus sayin
Yeahhhhh well the headlight housing for the adaptive lights is completely different than the normal LED's (aka Limited/Longhorn vs Laramie/Rebel/Big Horn); so really can't see that being a thing, at least until a refresh/redesign comes out.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Is the Big Horn Back Country article the 2022 article that y'all were working on in March, or has the 2022 article gone the way of the dodo bird?
@redriderbob and @Jared B

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the Big Horn Back Country article the 2022 article that y'all were working on in March, or has the 2022 article gone the way of the dodo bird?
@redriderbob and @Jared B

What do you mean?

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is some more information for 2022 models as well...

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Poking around the threads and came up on this one. So when will the 2022 Ram production will start? Places just say early fall, but can anyone confirm dates?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on selling my Laramie for a great price, and ordering a 2022 big horn (yes it’s a step down, but I’m not the biggest fan of leather seats, especially in the summer). I’m hoping to get into a big horn but with some goodies that I’m lacking like sunroof/ram box. Thx

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/