5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Software and Map Update

Billy2j

Reaction score
Just my experience to add to the discussion I installed the map update about a month ago. I did not require a system update, just the map.

Anyway, I never really checked to see if I was having the issues others have reported. Yesterday, I pushed the blue button on the roof, beside the SOS button for the first time. It brought up the Sirius Guardian screen. I'd never used this screen so I pushed the third choice--something like service and support and it dialed Uconnect. I tried to hang up / cancel but couldn't figure out how to do so. The phone hangup button on the wheel didn't work. Anyway, a guy answered and I apologized and told him it was an accidental dial. I guess he terminated the call because I was unable to do it myself.

Anyway, all this is to say I guess I've not had the issues (unless the inability to hang up is one) because I did not have to do the system update with the map update?
Our problem is the response when pressing the Assist button is you need to activate the service even though you have an active XM Guardian account.

Billy2j

Reaction score
Ahh man I had hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update: They worked the problem for two more days, then I called and picked up my truck because bad weather was moving in and I needed the 4 wheel drive. I will take it back when they call that they have another fix to try....

Billy2j

Reaction score
Yes ... this is the problem I am having and sounds like many others too.

I talked to my Uconnect case manager again today and they do have an issue with the Connected Services, specifically SXM Guardian, no longer working after update (not sure if it is system or nav update causing the problem). They are hopeful they can do an over the air update for those of us affected (Uconnect 4 systems). Let's hope that turns out to be correct. But so far, according to my case manager, no solution yet.
Have you had any luck so far?

stronbl

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot next time I'm in the truck. It's not our daily driver, but I'll report back when I do it. But does anyone know how I hang up on them? The blue button again?
If you get connected to them, just tell them you ae testing the system, They should be ok with it and just hang you up at your request. But if for some reason they start with a sales pitch, you can just turn off the truck - I believe it should hang up the blue button then. I have never tried pressing the blue button to hang up ... it might work too.
Have you had any luck so far?
No luck so far. I'm still waiting to see if they will assign me a case number from Connected Services. Hmmm ... My guess, and it is 100% a guess, is they don't really know why and how this problem happened and so they can't offer a solution until they understand the nature of the problem. Lesson learned ... don't upgrade next time!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you get connected to them, just tell them you ae testing the system, They should be ok with it and just hang you up at your request. But if for some reason they start with a sales pitch, you can just turn off the truck - I believe it should hang up the blue button then. I have never tried pressing the blue button to hang up ... it might work too.

I tried it today with my cellphone not connected and the call went through. I was also able to hang up by a red phone button on the screen.

So, I guess in my case I'm not having the issues because I did not have to do the USB update with the new maps.

Billy2j

Reaction score
I got a call from my dealer with another fix, back to the dealer tomorrow. this will make the 6th day in the shop.

Since I am having to do the testing for this product, I applied for a refund from "Here Technologies" and it was approved. I have sent the thumb drives back for a refund. At least I won't have to pay for all this trouble....

stronbl

Reaction score
I got a call from my dealer with another fix, back to the dealer tomorrow. this will make the 6th day in the shop.

Since I am having to do the testing for this product, I applied for a refund from "Here Technologies" and it was approved. I have sent the thumb drives back for a refund. At least I won't have to pay for all this trouble....
Good luck. Of course if you get a fix, then let us know. I was suppose to hear from Uconnect today with the next steps for me - which might simply be "go to the dealer". Hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow and see what they have to suggest.

Great idea in applying for a refund from Here. How did you go about it? I may try the same tactic. In all honesty, if I could revert back to the previous version, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The minor Uconnect upgrades pale in comparison to the loss in nav functionality.

Billy2j

Reaction score
Good luck. Of course if you get a fix, then let us know. I was suppose to hear from Uconnect today with the next steps for me - which might simply be "go to the dealer". Hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow and see what they have to suggest.

Great idea in applying for a refund from Here. How did you go about it? I may try the same tactic. In all honesty, if I could revert back to the previous version, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The minor Uconnect upgrades pale in comparison to the loss in nav functionality.
From the Uconnect website, I filled out a form at: https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/cms/page.ContactUs/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD
asking for a refund since the product is defective.

Here Technologies contacted me by email and we communicated back and forth and then received an RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization). I followed the instructions and the software out for delivery in Smyrna, TN today.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the Uconnect website, I filled out a form at: https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/cms/page.ContactUs/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD
asking for a refund since the product is defective.

Here Technologies contacted me by email and we communicated back and forth and then received an RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization). I followed the instructions and the software out for delivery in Smyrna, TN today.
Are you receiving software back, and for what reason if so. Or are you returning their software and receiving a refund.

Billy2j

Reaction score
Are you receiving software back, and for what reason if so. Or are you returning their software and receiving a refund.
I sent the software and map update that I had purchased and installed to my 2020 Ram 4c Uconnect system back for a refund because it caused my system to lose critical functionality. The Assist, SOS, and online destination search functions quit working upon updating. My Ram dealer communicating with XMGuardian and who ever they talk with has been unable to restore these functions. We are up to nine days at the dealer trying to restore these functions.

I am not expecting software back only the purchase price of $149.00

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
I hate to hear it billyj I’m thinking the only fix for it is a software update from Uconnect

sickcodes

Reaction score
I've contacted FCA regarding the update-ability of devices, will advise.

Billy2j

Reaction score
After another 5 days at the dealer I am changing my direction. Since all the functions are paid for, I am now seeking a refund from XM Guardian on the inoperative functions and forgetting this mess...

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After another 5 days at the dealer I am changing my direction. Since all the functions are paid for, I am now seeking a refund from XM Guardian on the inoperative functions and forgetting this mess...
XM Guardian starts at $17.99 per month in Canada, basically the only feature worthwhile is to remote start your truck at a distance, my wife’s Jeep had XM Guardian and we still get the vehicle health report every month even though we are not paying, it is kind of useless, it shows the tire pressure, fuel level… all things that are visible while operating the Jeep. I tried a few times the “locate vehicle” feature and teased my wife by asking her why she was at the mall.

I would do the same as you and get a refund.

billy_chode

Reaction score
I’m confused…my SXM Guardian Trial (6 month crap) expired back in november. nothing updates in the Uconnect app, but if i used the RAM app on my iphone, i can locate, lock/unlock, and remote start. I never renewed anything, and can confirm my SXM crap all expired.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

stronbl

Reaction score
Well, I had my hopes up but now they're dashed again. I was scheduled to get a Uconnect over the air update and reset on Monday but I just heard back that the fix they were going to send me doesn't solve the issues we're all having. So I was told I should get a new radio. Not sure how that will work and who know if there are version 4 radios available. Supposedly Uconnect is still working on a fix but at this point I am not holding out hope. Seems like there was limited or no testing done when the update was rolled out so it makes me suspicious that the group working on the problem will actually find a solution other than "replace the radio". Hopefully Uconnect will cover the costs ....

I will go see my dealer next week and talk about options. Lesson learned - don't update for at least 6 months to a year after a new version comes out, and really never update might be the best forward plan. (n)

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
Well, I had my hopes up but now they're dashed again. I was scheduled to get a Uconnect over the air update and reset on Monday but I just heard back that the fix they were going to send me doesn't solve the issues we're all having. So I was told I should get a new radio. Not sure how that will work and who know if there are version 4 radios available. Supposedly Uconnect is still working on a fix but at this point I am not holding out hope. Seems like there was limited or no testing done when the update was rolled out so it makes me suspicious that the group working on the problem will actually find a solution other than "replace the radio". Hopefully Uconnect will cover the costs ....

I will go see my dealer next week and talk about options. Lesson learned - don't update for at least 6 months to a year after a new version comes out, and really never update might be the best forward plan. (n)

That’s crazy they told you to get a new radio. It’s a software issue not hardware it can literally be fixed with a software solution why would they promote ram paying to replace a multi thousand dollar radio for a fix that can be done with no money lost.

LV426

Reaction score
That’s crazy they told you to get a new radio. It’s a software issue not hardware it can literally be fixed with a software solution why would they promote ram paying to replace a multi thousand dollar radio for a fix that can be done with no money lost.

This is SOP for the dealer when they cant figure it out.... They apply Zero effort. Every problem with these radio's (all 12") is software related, its not optimized and poorly supported.

Users who are viewing this thread