5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Software and Map Update

stronbl

Reaction score
Yeah it is all software but no one seems to know where the issue resides in the software and how to fix it, at least yet. I've been dialoguing with them since just after Thanksgiving which that should have been enough time to get a fix out to us, or so I thought. I'm pretty sure the dealer will say no to a new radio unless they can bill Uconnect for it. The problem is that only the Uconnect Connected Services including Sirius XM Guardian are not working, everything else is fine (at least for me). But at a minimum I'll request a STAR case be created and get all the dialogue with Uconnect documented. I'm not giving up hope, just pausing a bit to figure what I can do next. :unsure:

Mommanord14

Reaction score
My truck has been in 2 weeks now and 2 new radios. The dealer is working with a star case and now the powers that be are saying put in a new 3rd radio. Dealer tried to question since two have been put in already and the answer was just put in a new radio. Same problem all of you are having. This has been going on since last August of 2021. Very frustrating.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has been in 2 weeks now and 2 new radios. The dealer is working with a star case and now the powers that be are saying put in a new 3rd radio. Dealer tried to question since two have been put in already and the answer was just put in a new radio. Same problem all of you are having. This has been going on since last August of 2021. Very frustrating.
If the radios all have the latest software, they will all have the same problem.
Insanity it trying something that didn't work over again, multiple times, and expecting a different outcome.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
So talked with a uconnect case mgr today. He gave me a bunch of letters and said that is the software that is missing and why these things arent working. I asked why didn’t the first two radios work? He didn’t know but the engineer said put a third radio in. So tomorrow a third radio will be installed. Is this a quality control issue????

stronbl

Reaction score
So talked with a uconnect case mgr today. He gave me a bunch of letters and said that is the software that is missing and why these things arent working. I asked why didn’t the first two radios work? He didn’t know but the engineer said put a third radio in. So tomorrow a third radio will be installed. Is this a quality control issue????
I'll wait to hear from you and see if the 3rd radio makes the fix. I have to take my Ram in tomorrow for service work and will talk to the service manager and describe my conversations with Uconnect. If they agree on a new radio then I'll try it after I hear if yours is finally fixed. Good Luck !!

Mommanord14

Reaction score
3rd radio not delivered today as was supposed to be. Now due tomorrow. From what I understand there was missing software from the previous two radios which is needed for the types of issues everyone seems to be having. No sos. No assist. No app on phone. Funky gps. Etc. when asked of the case manager why the first two were sent out with being 100%, no answer, just, the engineer wants a third radio. Again why don’t they send out parts that are 100%? What a waste of time for me and for the dealer. We will see what this third radio brings whenever it gets here. I am so over this.

stronbl

Reaction score
3rd radio not delivered today as was supposed to be. Now due tomorrow. From what I understand there was missing software from the previous two radios which is needed for the types of issues everyone seems to be having. No sos. No assist. No app on phone. Funky gps. Etc. when asked of the case manager why the first two were sent out with being 100%, no answer, just, the engineer wants a third radio. Again why don’t they send out parts that are 100%? What a waste of time for me and for the dealer. We will see what this third radio brings whenever it gets here. I am so over this.
Your comment about missing software on the other radios makes sense as I just met with my Ram service manager at the dealer today and explained what has been happening. She seems to be very open to finding a fix and says a new radio may be the best route but may open a Star case as well. Apparently the Ram service department has to get some info from the previous radio including user info and codes for all the connected and purchased features and communicate that so the Uconnect / vendor people can pre-configure the software of the replacement radio prior to installation i.e. almost a plug-n-play event. She told me they do a swap with the old radio for the new one and have 15 days to have it installed once they receive it from the vendor, otherwise they have to return it. She said it usually takes a couple weeks to get a new radio in the shop but nowadays that timing may be off. I have some prior commitments so I'll go back to the dealer in a couple weeks to start the new radio process. Hopefully only once !

hemiguy37

Reaction score
I have the same problems as you all have described. But I am also looking for confirmation if those who are experiencing the non functioning Sirius Guardian issues, do any of you subscribed to the Mobile Hot Spot and you have noticed it has also stopped working. My daughter went to use it the other day in the car and it says connected without internet. I keep getting billed by AT&T so it should still be working and the Map upgrade is the only thing I did that caused issues. Making an appointment at the dealer, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.

Jabberjaw

Reaction score
I have the same problems as you all have described. But I am also looking for confirmation if those who are experiencing the non functioning Sirius Guardian issues, do any of you subscribed to the Mobile Hot Spot and you have noticed it has also stopped working. My daughter went to use it the other day in the car and it says connected without internet. I keep getting billed by AT&T so it should still be working and the Map upgrade is the only thing I did that caused issues. Making an appointment at the dealer, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.

Same here. The dealership did a soft reset and the hotspot worked for a couple weeks then went out again. Went in for another soft reset, but it didn’t work. Two days ago it started working again, and its out again today. AT&T blames Uconnect …Uconnect blames AT&T. I’ve spent hours on the phone with both. The dealership tech said he’s got 4 customers with this issue. I‘m going to have the dealership do a hard reset during my next service. I’ve spent time in some of the poorest countries in the world and getting Wi-Fi was never an issue …why is it an issue in an expensive truck.

stronbl

Reaction score
Same here. The dealership did a soft reset and the hotspot worked for a couple weeks then went out again. Went in for another soft reset, but it didn’t work. Two days ago it started working again, and its out again today. AT&T blames Uconnect …Uconnect blames AT&T. I’ve spent hours on the phone with both. The dealership tech said he’s got 4 customers with this issue. I‘m going to have the dealership do a hard reset during my next service. I’ve spent time in some of the poorest countries in the world and getting Wi-Fi was never an issue …why is it an issue in an expensive truck.
If the mobile hotspot is the same as the truck WIFI via AT&T then, no my WIFI has been working fine before and after the upgrade. I have had times when I lost WIFI in the truck but I turned the truck off and back on (actually exited the truck, locked the doors with the key fob and then opened it) and all was fine again.

In the for what it's worth category (and this idea may be completely worthless!!), my CDJR service manager told me they have seen Uconnect radios mess up the firmware upon upgrade. So it could be possible as we all did our upgrades to software first then maps second, somewhere in the process the firmware got corrupted, and depending where or when it happened, certain software components stopped working. For me it was only the Sirius XM Guardian connected services, not WIFI. As I said though, just a WAG on my part.

hemiguy37

Reaction score
If the mobile hotspot is the same as the truck WIFI via AT&T then, no my WIFI has been working fine before and after the upgrade. I have had times when I lost WIFI in the truck but I turned the truck off and back on (actually exited the truck, locked the doors with the key fob and then opened it) and all was fine again.

In the for what it's worth category (and this idea may be completely worthless!!), my CDJR service manager told me they have seen Uconnect radios mess up the firmware upon upgrade. So it could be possible as we all did our upgrades to software first then maps second, somewhere in the process the firmware got corrupted, and depending where or when it happened, certain software components stopped working. For me it was only the Sirius XM Guardian connected services, not WIFI. As I said though, just a WAG on my part.
I did the reset last night, disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then reconnected. All was working again in the AM. As for your WAG, you are absolutely correct. I returned my map update for a refund and the agent I spoke to admitted that the first of the two updates, the one for the Radio not the maps themselves, did corrupt the system and they are looking for a resolution. I am not hopeful, every time they update or make a change they break the radio. I will wait and see how long the WIFI works, at this point I may just cancel the service, not worth the aggravation.

#ramcares are you listening???

LV426

Reaction score
Ramcares wont comment on anything regarding the ongoing 12" Uconnect issues, they've been dead silent for months... I've had my truck for 11 months now and have not received a single update for it... My Samsung refrigerator receives more updates...

This system has Wifi, GPS, Cellular, SiriusXM, Android auto, car play, navigation, truck settings, HVAC, whatever else I missed....
You cant have all the sh!t working together and not provide some kind of functioning updates. They shoehorned too much together and then lack the ability to properly support it, plain and simple.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any more news?

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Absolutely no news. Third radio was supposed to be installed Friday and now today is Monday and I have heard nothing. Have a call into the dealer. The Uconnect case manger basically said we have to trust that the engineers know what they are talking about. Really? I will keep everyone informed when I hear anything. I have been paying for these services and they aren’t working. This is so sad.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely no news. Third radio was supposed to be installed Friday and now today is Monday and I have heard nothing. Have a call into the dealer. The Uconnect case manger basically said we have to trust that the engineers know what they are talking about. Really? I will keep everyone informed when I hear anything. I have been paying for these services and they aren’t working. This is so sad.
I think maybe the tecs have tested too many hot wires with their tongue. Designed with a hope and a prayer.

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
I really hope the upgrade didn’t ruin the firmware to a point it has to be replaced instead of patched with a software update. Regarding the ATT wifi not working mine was not working but I called and somehow ATT had a different IMEI number than what was listed on my unit in dealer mode. Once they updated said number in their system the WIFI started working again. But still activation issues with the rest of the system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
You can check your IMEI number by holding the two bottom left and right corners of the screen and place the unit in dealer mode. IMEI should be in the connectivity tab

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really hope the upgrade didn’t ruin the firmware to a point it has to be replaced instead of patched with a software update. Regarding the ATT wifi not working mine was not working but I called and somehow ATT had a different IMEI number than what was listed on my unit in dealer mode. Once they updated said number in their system the WIFI started working again. But still activation issues with the rest of the system

I have to contact ATT yet, but I think the unit might use flash memory, and may not be able to be rolled back. Stupid way to build anything nowadays with memory so cheap and SSD's in everything. I think my phone has better and more memory than the Uconnect radio. Getting ready to change over to a Tesla style radio if they can get all the OEM stuff to work with it.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Well third radio was a bust. No luck. Dealer is at a loss. It is in the hands of IT what ever that means. The dealer is at the mercy of the engineers so now they wait till they get the next set of instructions.

Dragon62

Reaction score
I received a note from AT&T that they are still working on my issue and at 'some point will have my system restored.' I lost wifi then having intermitting radio blackouts. Paid in advance for the year for wifi and it's down for the past month. Gotta love a merger and upgrade with no planing!

Users who are viewing this thread