5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Software and Map Update

Billy2j

Reaction score
Don't do it!!! I installed these updates and I went from a highly functional, user friendly, piece of technology to a POS. Now if you can find your destination and you are able to map it, don't expect to arrive at the correct location. My system is now totally unreliable. If you are having a hard time understanding my feelings of this upgrade, I would totally be glad to pay another $149 + tax to get this crap off my system and return the system to it's original configuration !!!

Updated 2/15/2022 this post with the warning now posted on map update site:

Attachments

• mapupdatewarning.jpg
    mapupdatewarning.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear it’s that bad. I just bought a 2019, and it has the original (I think) software, and I was thinking of getting the update but this gives me serious
pause.

Billy2j

Reaction score
I have discovered a work around. If I use the Uconnect App on my phone and find my destination, I can then send that to my truck and it will map to the correct Location. The Uconnect App is using Google Maps....

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't do it!!! I installed these updates and I went from a highly functional, user friendly, piece of technology to a POS. Now if you can find your destination and you are able to map it, don't expect to arrive at the correct location. My system is now totally unreliable. If you are having a hard time understanding my feelings of this upgrade, I would totally be glad to pay another $149 + tax to get this crap off my system and return the system to it's original configuration !!!
A lot of folks have upgraded without issue. You should be able to go to the dealer and have them reset and update.

JDGRN77

Reaction score
I was contemplating an update on my pickup to see if I could solve a few issues and what not....
I currently have this app version installed: USA-SBX-12.1-PR-39.62.0-20210504-PFRM

I noticed this on the ordering screen....
"This map update is only compatible with U.S. Ram models with a 12" touchscreen that has Application Version 'PR-39.7 or higher"

So they let you buy the application/map upgrade if you are NOT compatible... I have a lower version of software that will not be compatible with the map update based on what I read.

There is a way in the 'dealer mode' that you can backup your system to a USB stick. Perhaps that should be a good practice before we do updates! : )

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was contemplating an update on my pickup to see if I could solve a few issues and what not....
I currently have this app version installed: USA-SBX-12.1-PR-39.62.0-20210504-PFRM

I noticed this on the ordering screen....
"This map update is only compatible with U.S. Ram models with a 12" touchscreen that has Application Version 'PR-39.7 or higher"

So they let you buy the application/map upgrade if you are NOT compatible... I have a lower version of software that will not be compatible with the map update based on what I read.

There is a way in the 'dealer mode' that you can backup your system to a USB stick. Perhaps that should be a good practice before we do updates! : )
Go to the site and input the info to order the update right up to the Buy Button. It should tell you that you need a firmware update and you will get two USB devices, one for the Software update which must be loaded first and then the map update. In the Gen 2 8.4 we had to first download the latest update and then install the maps.

Billy2j

Reaction score
Well, it has been a couple of weeks since my upgrade and after speaking with the dealer, Guardian, Uconnect, watching many videos, which all display an inactive mic icon in the Uconnect Nav onscreen search line, I have decided it just isn't worth all this trouble. I will continue to use Send 'n Go on my phone to send my destination to the truck to get a correct mapping to destination. JDGRN77 has the best advice and that is to back up your present installation before doing the upgrade so hopefully you can return to the previous version.

I think the ability to use the onscreen mic to do an online search for destinations is not the norm. They never speak of doing this in the videos and none of the videos show the mic to be active. My advice to Uconnect is to figure out this problem because the online search is lightyears ahead of the address search function. In my area if you use an address for mapping you may get close but I have been used to door to door with online destination mapping.

Side note: I used Android Auto to map my destination back home from delivering a bull. When I got home, I traveled past my normal parking place at the house and went to the barn to leave the stock trailer. I received an inquiry from Google asking if this was the most used entrance to my destination? Google recognized I stopped in a different spot and they wanted to know which is the correct mapping location. I'm not sure I want to be tracked this closely, but it is an amazing technology.

The onscreen mic using Android Auto is active. Before the Uconnect Update the Uconnect Nav onscreen mic was active.....

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have a 2020 Ram with the 12” nav, did you get a notification for the update?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The backup function is for user data not the previous software version so backing up just basically saves any personal info and your favorites

ram813ltd

Reaction score
update glitches happen it was just your turn. what you have to go through to get the correct update for your truck is a little frustrating. that said the nav update as expected is crap and mistakes are in it that weren't in the previous map. HERE absolutely sux. google can keep up world wide daily with updates yet this company that does dozens of manufacturers can't keep up between their 1.5 yr updates

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I just finished updating my map software. I will be trying it tomorrow, I have a odd address to go to in a small town. We will see if it finds it.
Tom

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
Yeah 2021 map and software update jacked mine up hours and hours of deactivating and deactivating I’ve found the culprit but waiting for a fix. Billy2j try hitting your assist or sos button if they say you need to activate services it’s because SiriusXM guardian connection has been bugged with your system just like mine. You need Sirius xm guardian to online map locations not stored on ur head unit. After doin circles with the dealer Uconnect and SiriusXM guardian I finally convinced someone at SiriusXM guardian that my system is trying to activate a service that is already activated so they need to either reset my service and restart new or figure out how to re establish my SiriusXM guardian connection. Don’t let them tell you it’s a hardware issue it’s most definitely software related. I should know more on a fix in the next 24-48 hours.

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
Also to note click on ur search bar in navigation if you see the cellular bars but a 🚫 above its related to your Siriusxm guardian subscription

66Fuelie

Reaction score
So is it just the guys that have to do the software update before the map update having problems?
Tom

sickcodes

Reaction score
The update is now "Out of stock :cry:"

Not sure how a map update, can be out of stock... Happy to pay if anyone has the USB sticks.

Does anyone have a copy of the USB they used? I have a weird one: WORLD-SBX-12.1

Screenshot_2021-12-20_14-00-11.png

Jeremyko8

Reaction score
Yeah I think they found out something is wrong because I’m sure I’m not the only one with screwed up nav. You can’t be Out of stock of USB devices that they load their map on to.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
fyi

FYI this does them no good without UC5 radio. Going to have to start reading which system the updates and questions are for.

Users who are viewing this thread