5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Software and Map Update

Billy2j

Reaction score
I have received my refund from "Here Technologies" for the cost of the map update. And my refund from XMGuardian for the inoperable services. I will think about repurchasing these services when they figure out what is wrong. I purchased my truck to drive not leave it at the dealer for them to try to figure out what they have done.

btx8484

Reaction score
I have the same problems as you all have described. But I am also looking for confirmation if those who are experiencing the non functioning Sirius Guardian issues, do any of you subscribed to the Mobile Hot Spot and you have noticed it has also stopped working. My daughter went to use it the other day in the car and it says connected without internet. I keep getting billed by AT&T so it should still be working and the Map upgrade is the only thing I did that caused issues. Making an appointment at the dealer, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.
I think I'm having a similar problem. I wish I had seen this set of posts earlier. Unfortunately for me I let my 2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn do the OTA update about a week or so ago. When I did the update it knocked out my Sirius XM Guardian / Security + Convivence package as well as my AT&T 4G WIFI. I didn't notice it at first after the update, but eventually did when I figured out my Uconnect remote start as well as everything else had quit working.

That said, I searched several other forums about some of this and did see if this is a common issue across Ram/Dodge/Jeep. It seems like the Jeep guys are having the same problem. Additionally, I found several spots online that mention the Panasonic 7552 modem card (which is actually a Sierra Wireless (AirPrime) AR 7552 4G) and problems when doing either a USB or OTA update. Apparently if you do an OTA update some of the cards are getting fried or fail after the update as the card may have gotten too hot during the OTA update. On the USB side guys are seeing updates not completing resulting in a bricked/dead modem card or bricked Uconnect.

I really hope they figure this out soon. It also looks like I need to file a case with Uconnect about this and/or talk to the local dealership. Le sigh.

Last edited:

stronbl

Reaction score
Well third radio was a bust. No luck. Dealer is at a loss. It is in the hands of IT what ever that means. The dealer is at the mercy of the engineers so now they wait till they get the next set of instructions.
That's really disappointing to hear. I'm scheduled to go to the dealer in a couple weeks but if they can't even fix it with a replacement radio, then, I'm not sure it is a very good idea. may wait until there is actually a fix. :(

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Ok so here’s my two cents. Called the service manager. They have been trying to contact the IT dept and no one has gotten back to them since the third radio was a bust. I think now just my opinion that this is a big issue that effects many and they do not know how to handle this because it effects many years of rams and probably other vehicles. So far my jeep rubicon 2020 which I do not subscribe to guardian has been working fine. 4 weeks without my truck in northern Minnesota where we’ve had almost 5 1/2 feet of snow. I just would like an answer.

LV426

Reaction score
Ok so here’s my two cents. Called the service manager. They have been trying to contact the IT dept and no one has gotten back to them since the third radio was a bust. I think now just my opinion that this is a big issue that effects many and they do not know how to handle this because it effects many years of rams and probably other vehicles. So far my jeep rubicon 2020 which I do not subscribe to guardian has been working fine. 4 weeks without my truck in northern Minnesota where we’ve had almost 5 1/2 feet of snow. I just would like an answer.
If I had a problem with a piece of hardware and replaced it with brand new out of box hardware and it still didn't work I would have to believe the issue is most likely somewhere else... If they put in three radios and it still does not work they are straight up dicking you around...

stronbl

Reaction score
If I had a problem with a piece of hardware and replaced it with brand new out of box hardware and it still didn't work I would have to believe the issue is most likely somewhere else... If they put in three radios and it still does not work they are straight up dicking you around...
My understanding from my service manager is that these are not brand new out of the box radios but rather rebuilt(?) ones with all the necessary subscription, wifi, etc etc stuff added from Uconnect and matched to truck and vin. That's why we have to return our old radios within 15 days so they get a new core to rebuild another time. I guess the idea is the dealer can then just plug in the new (to the owner) radio and all the connected and subscription stuff is all set and ready, and works. At least that was the theory. Now it seems that theory has holes in it. Maybe it would be best if we got truly brand new radios and cancelled all our subscriptions etc and then re-subscribed just like we did when we bought the truck in the first place. I'm sure I'm missing something important in the above comment as to why this replacement radio thing is not working. I do know that when I bring my truck in for the replacement radio, and after they test the new radio and if the problem isn't solved, I'm going to have them keep my original radio and put it back in and probably just cancel the subscription stuff and wait even longer for a(nother) proven solution. :confused:

Mommanord14

Reaction score
Ok update. Of course we all know that these radios are refurbished (my term). They supposed to come with updated software which I know my three were not and actually missing software. We will be five weeks in the shop. Dealer is very good at keeping me up to date. Case manager is not. Doesn’t return call. As of this am we are getting a brand new radio from the manufacturer with every update. Coming from Dallas. Due in tomorrow. IT claims this is it will work. I’m not very confident but we will see.

stronbl

Reaction score
Ok update. Of course we all know that these radios are refurbished (my term). They supposed to come with updated software which I know my three were not and actually missing software. We will be five weeks in the shop. Dealer is very good at keeping me up to date. Case manager is not. Doesn’t return call. As of this am we are getting a brand new radio from the manufacturer with every update. Coming from Dallas. Due in tomorrow. IT claims this is it will work. I’m not very confident but we will see.
Fingers crossed for you. I'll start the same process in a week or so, so I am very much interested if the brand new radio works as it should. Good luck again !!!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got that email too. I'm a bit suspicious as it didn't go to my current email address for mopar.com or SiriusXM Guardian. I don't click on links in dubious email, especially unrequested solicitations.

ETA: I went through the process of checking for the update outside of the email links (https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/home/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD). When I plugged in my radio's Application version and clicked 'Continue', I received the following warning popup;
mapwarning.jpg

The discount does indeed show up in the cart, but I'm not buying since I am a SiriusXM Guardian sub.

Last edited:

sickcodes

Reaction score
Ok so the issue may be as follows:

> CANADA-IR-22.6.0-20181015-I0FC

> USA-SBX-12.1-PR-39.7.0-20210811-P0H9

> USA-ASO-8.4-QR-39.6.0-20210405-Q0H4

The Sierra Wireless card update is MISSING in the 1st USB stick update for SBX models.

The folder, named ar7 (Sierra Wireless (AirPrime) AR 7552 4G [Made by Atheros] is missing from the US update.

Sooo I think this is the reason is the missing Atheros card folder for US but its in the Canadian update (and lack of QA):

update_folders.png

btx8484

Reaction score
Well..... I tried pretty much everything that I could think of as well as some suggestions on other forums (like disconnecting the battery, trying to force a reset the 4C Navigation, removing all preferences from the truck, etc.). Nothing worked so I eventually gave up and took the truck in to my local dealer for service. They tried to fix it as well by doing a forced reset and several other update items to the navigation. They ended up not being able to fix it at the moment, but did give me some useful information (so I'm not that upset about it).

1) First, while my truck was in their shop they had two 2021 Ram 2500's and two 2020 Ram 1500's that came in for nearly the exact same set of problems so this is definitely not an isolated incident.

2) Second (and more importantly) there is now a STAR case for all 2019-2021 RAM (1500, 2500, 3500) trucks that have had their 12 inch or 8 inch navigation updates done either via OTA or via the USB map updates and those updates resulted in having some or all of their telematic functions getting knocked out.

That said, my local service dealer was nice enough to pass along the STAR Case file as well (attached). Unfortunately he seems to think that real fix is still 3-5 weeks away though.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6346 (1).PNG
    IMG_6346 (1).PNG
    480 KB · Views: 69

btx8484

Reaction score

The Sierra Wireless card update is MISSING in the 1st USB stick update for SBX models.

The folder, named ar7 (Sierra Wireless (AirPrime) AR 7552 4G [Made by Atheros] is missing from the US update.

Sooo I think this is the reason is the missing Atheros card folder for US but its in the Canadian update (and lack of QA):

View attachment 122897

Dang. I can't believe that they forgot to put the wireless card update in there. Do you have any idea where or is there a download link for the Canada version of this firmware update with the ar7 files on it? If you have it can you PM me?

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
If the wireless card update is the common denominator, then how come some systems update, (like mine), without issue, while others screw everything up?
Of the people who had issues, how many of them had an active WiFi service like I do, (AT&T Unlimited Data)?
I'm curious if the radio is able to do an OTA update but only if it has an active subscription?.?.?

btx8484

Reaction score
If the wireless card update is the common denominator, then how come some systems update, (like mine), without issue, while others screw everything up?
Of the people who had issues, how many of them had an active WiFi service like I do, (AT&T Unlimited Data)?
I'm curious if the radio is able to do an OTA update but only if it has an active subscription?.?.?
That would be me. It did an OTA update while it has had the active ATT subscription. Once I did the OTA update everything quit working (all telematics etc).

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had no issues with my USB map update, but never activated my AT&T hotspot. Not sure if that relates to your question, though.

stronbl

Reaction score
Well..... I tried pretty much everything that I could think of as well as some suggestions on other forums (like disconnecting the battery, trying to force a reset the 4C Navigation, removing all preferences from the truck, etc.). Nothing worked so I eventually gave up and took the truck in to my local dealer for service. They tried to fix it as well by doing a forced reset and several other update items to the navigation. They ended up not being able to fix it at the moment, but did give me some useful information (so I'm not that upset about it).

1) First, while my truck was in their shop they had two 2021 Ram 2500's and two 2020 Ram 1500's that came in for nearly the exact same set of problems so this is definitely not an isolated incident.

2) Second (and more importantly) there is now a STAR case for all 2019-2021 RAM (1500, 2500, 3500) trucks that have had their 12 inch or 8 inch navigation updates done either via OTA or via the USB map updates and those updates resulted in having some or all of their telematic functions getting knocked out.

That said, my local service dealer was nice enough to pass along the STAR Case file as well (attached). Unfortunately he seems to think that real fix is still 3-5 weeks away though.
Yep. I can confirm this too. I have my 2020 1500 Limited in at my dealer now and I was just informed that the general star case also will no longer allow for replacement of radios. At least that is what I was told. They said as of Feb 2022 the star case states no new radios (for now). The case also states "the engineers are looking into it". Not sure which engineers or how long until a fix is available. They seem to imply software will solve it. We'll see. It is interesting though that my Uconnect case manager has requested a new radio for me but CDJR is saying no. I guess I'll keep checking back with them on the status of the fix. Very disappointing. I did just get a Chrysler Customer Feedback email, so I have plenty of feedback to give them.

btx8484

Reaction score

View attachment 122897

Do you think that moving a copy of the ar7 file drivers from the CAN version to the US firmware version of the SBX upgrade might fix this connectivity problem people are having right now? Any way we can possibly test for this? I'm wondering if it might work b/c if the code is the same, it just be missing those drivers. Also, the speed of the firmware update was way faster than the timer stated it would take so I'm wondering if it just skipped adding in those files and continued on without them in the firmware update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread