5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

1500DFW

Reaction score
found another video review of the mirror in action

On a side note at 9:34 I really like that center console. How it has a closing lid over the tray and cup holders. I wonder if that sliding piece could be purchased and put into a 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
On a side note at 9:34 I really like that center console. How it has a closing lid over the tray and cup holders. I wonder if that sliding piece could be purchased and put into a 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can find a limited center console im sure it can be swapped out

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
So I’m sad to say that my mirror stopped working this morning. I had purchased another third brake light to sell my modified one that I did and have it replaced with a brand new one and I got the same camera not working error on the mirror. After messing with the cable like I did the first time I still had no luck. Once I put the older third brake light on to just leave it and return the new one I still couldn’t get it to work. I ordered a new FAKRA cable to try it out again but I’m super pissed that I even attempted to swap out the light that worked for a brand new one. Lesson learned.

I’ll keep everyone posted to see if the new cable does anything but as of now, I spent all morning until about now with no success at all like I did the first time around

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I’m sad to say that my mirror stopped working this morning. I had purchased another third brake light to sell my modified one that I did and have it replaced with a brand new one and I got the same camera not working error on the mirror. After messing with the cable like I did the first time I still had no luck. Once I put the older third brake light on to just leave it and return the new one I still couldn’t get it to work. I ordered a new FAKRA cable to try it out again but I’m super pissed that I even attempted to swap out the light that worked for a brand new one. Lesson learned.

I’ll keep everyone posted to see if the new cable does anything but as of now, I spent all morning until about now with no success at all like I did the first time around
Can you add a signature to your profile (like I and many others have done) so we all know some details about your truck please? Thanks!

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Done.
Hopefully it’s the cable because I find it weird that on my ‘21 it worked perfectly after messing with the wire the first time and as soon as I put a new CHMSL on, it didn’t work at all

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
So I received my new cable from Amazon today and it works beautifully.

instead of ordering the 16 foot fakra cable like I originally did the first time around that I had to play with for a few minutes to get the image show up, I ordered a 9 foot cable which was just about perfect. As soon as I ran the cable from the CHMSL to the mirror and connected it, it showed the image instantly without a single hesitation. For sure that first cable that I got was messed up from the factory but now with the new one, and it being shorter so it’s a nicer fit once ran through headliner, it works amazing.

emg530

Reaction score
How does the mirror and camera do at night with headlights? My old Accord had the side view blind spot camera and headlights mad it almost useless.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
How does the mirror and camera do at night with headlights? My old Accord had the side view blind spot camera and headlights mad it almost useless.
I would say not bad, but it does reduce the brightness. Using the camera as the mirror is not as bright as turning the camera off and using it as a conventional mirror. Once you get used to it, it serves its purpose well and you will easily know if someone is behind you.

emg530

Reaction score
I would say not bad, but it does reduce the brightness. Using the camera as the mirror is not as bright as turning the camera off and using it as a conventional mirror. Once you get used to it, it serves its purpose well and you will easily know if someone is behind you.
Does it still Auto Dim when the camera is off like the conventional mirror?

obrien

Reaction score
Every truck that has AT LEAST an auto dim mirror has the same mirror connector with the same three wires (power, ground, Lin bus).
All trucks, even ones with a standard non dimming mirror, have those three wire present up to the IP harness connector that the mirror jumper harness plugs into at the side of the glovebox.
Hi Jimmy - do I understand correctly that having auto dim mirror is the must in order for it to be possible to install the digital mirror and CHMSL with camera? Truck with manual dimming mirror have cables up to the connector next to glovebox, but not all the way to the mirror so camera will never work. correct? thanks!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Jimmy - do I understand correctly that having auto dim mirror is the must in order for it to be possible to install the digital mirror and CHMSL with camera? Truck with manual dimming mirror have cables up to the connector next to glovebox, but not all the way to the mirror so camera will never work. correct? thanks!
You would need the correct mirror jumper harness.

obrien

Reaction score
You would need the correct mirror jumper harness.
and fish the new cable all the way to the glovebox connector, correct?

I still wonder what makes mirror not show the camera without the additional wires.. Because if I understand it right the camera is directly connected to the mirror by coax, so there is no actual need for any other input, it would be there to purely to enable it.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
and fish the new cable all the way to the glovebox connector, correct?

I still wonder what makes mirror not show the camera without the additional wires.. Because if I understand it right the camera is directly connected to the mirror by coax, so there is no actual need for any other input, it would be there to purely to enable it.
That’s what others have been trying to figure out thinking that since it’s just the coax cable it will work but it in fact doesn’t for the ‘19-‘20.

for example my 2021 works and my mirror dimmer doesn’t actually work anymore after the install which I don’t understand why. The softkey doesn’t even turn red as if it’s activated and the side mirrors don’t dim at all. Only reason it doesn’t really bother me though like I’ve stated before is because I have 5% tints all around and it’s nice and dark at night. Not sure if I have to enable another setting through Alfa but as of now until it gets figured out, I rather have the digital mirror working properly than to have the side mirrors dimming lol

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s what others have been trying to figure out thinking that since it’s just the coax cable it will work but it in fact doesn’t for the ‘19-‘20.

for example my 2021 works and my mirror dimmer doesn’t actually work anymore after the install which I don’t understand why. The softkey doesn’t even turn red as if it’s activated and the side mirrors don’t dim at all. Only reason it doesn’t really bother me though like I’ve stated before is because I have 5% tints all around and it’s nice and dark at night. Not sure if I have to enable another setting through Alfa but as of now until it gets figured out, I rather have the digital mirror working properly than to have the side mirrors dimming lol
Wondering if you can check something out next time you get a chance...is it only the mirror soft key in the controls screen that won’t change to red (the screen that has the camera and heated seats soft keys)? If you go into “apps” and press the mirror dimmer soft key in there, does it change to red? I discovered this by accident the other day on my truck, where the dimmer button does not work in the controls screen, but it does work in the apps menu. This is probably because I am using an auto dim/auto high beam mirror from a 5th gen truck on my 4th gen 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online