5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

knightro84

Reaction score
ok. I ordered it, should be here in a few days. I'll report back if it works and if anything else doesn't work. I have a fully loaded laramie so aside from adaptive headlights and rear seat coolers i have every feature.

Will be watching this. Still have the mirror laying around so might go this route if it ends up working.

Reactions: OFP

OFP

Reaction score
Thanks Arth, I was just getting ready to post this, too-
hr4MXw4.jpg

So, definitely is only using power, ground, and Lin Bus.
where are you getting all these great diagrams? routing, pinouts, overview, colors. its great. and it seems you have access to 2019-2021 models

OFP

Reaction score
Matched it with Alpha OBD but i can't get it out of "Plant Mode" key won't cycle. any thoughts on getting the BCM out of plant mode or do i need to take it to the dealership?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Matched it with Alpha OBD but i can't get it out of "Plant Mode" key won't cycle. any thoughts on getting the BCM out of plant mode or do i need to take it to the dealership?
Did you try taking it out of shipping mode? It is in the menu where you would select car configuration change.

nandalora

Reaction score
Btw just saw this. Could be a good option for some of you.

Even better would be if you could link this mirror with the 2021 CHMSL. I don't like the camera in this kit and the idea of sticking it on somewhere.

Sterno90

Reaction score
So 500+ bucks for an led 3rd brake light with a camera plus who knows how much for a new mirror plus wiring harness(s) to go with it, all so you can stop swiveling that melon on top of your body to look at what's behind you from the perspective of the 3rd brake light vs the already included tailgate handle view...

Yeh I will pass on that... I already spent 61k on a 73k truck that already has a ton of features that I rarely use or need.
I know this an older post and I apologize if this has already been addressed. an added benefit is that the camera will allow to see behind you at all times not just when backing up, also if you use a flipping bed cover that when fully open blocks the rear window the 3rd brake light camera still allows you to have a review mirror view. Another benefit is you will have a direct view to what is behind the truck with out window tint or the rest of the cab or anything that may be in the bed of the truck blocking your view.

Just some thoughts from my perspective.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know this an older post and I apologize if this has already been addressed. an added benefit is that the camera will allow to see behind you at all times not just when backing up, also if you use a flipping bed cover that when fully open blocks the rear window the 3rd brake light camera still allows you to have a review mirror view. Another benefit is you will have a direct view to what is behind the truck with out window tint or the rest of the cab or anything that may be in the bed of the truck blocking your view.

Just some thoughts from my perspective.
Pretty much what you said is why I want to add it. It can't be added to a 2019 or 2020 yet. Hopefully, adding a new BCM is an option. Just waiting on confirmation

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OFP

Reaction score
Were you able to program
not yet, I'm taking the BCM to the dealership tomorrow. sorry for the delay, I own a pool business in Texas and after the freeze I haven't had time to sleep much less tinker.

OFP

Reaction score
Did you try taking it out of shipping mode? It is in the menu where you would select car configuration change.
yes and it told me alpha obd is not able to take it out of plant mode. Dealership tomorrow

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yes and it told me alpha obd is not able to take it out of plant mode. Dealership tomorrow
Just to make sure- this is the one you tried?
XkTivvv.jpg
8ALVOYz.jpg

Strange that it would fail. What was the message it gave when you tried? Any chance you can send the debug log to the developer so he can fix the issue? That one used to work.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
not yet, I'm taking the BCM to the dealership tomorrow. sorry for the delay, I own a pool business in Texas and after the freeze I haven't had time to sleep much less tinker.
No worries
I‘m in the dfw area and at work.
My team is still repairing damage from the freeze.

Last edited:

OFP

Reaction score
Just to make sure- this is the one you tried?
XkTivvv.jpg
8ALVOYz.jpg

Strange that it would fail. What was the message it gave when you tried? Any chance you can send the debug log to the developer so he can fix the issue? That one used to work.
yep that exactly what i did, i don't remember the exact error. the dealerships refused to do it without me leaving the vehicle overnight, don't have time for that. I send the BCM to infotainment they said they would bench flash and send it back asap.

wouldn't you know the truck got hail damage a few days ago and the insurance company is going to total it. i told them to give me a few days and i'm going to see if this works for everyone who has been trying then i'll go get a 2021 with the technology package.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, must be a lot of hail damage to total a newer truck. Thanks for following through with this for us!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunate that if you have a 2021 and you don't have the ACC feature that you lose both auto high beams auto dim features. I could do without auto high beams but dimming is a nice feature. Though maybe if my truck had the FCW I wouldn't lose all that but it seems to be the consequences I have to deal with if I add the CHMSL and digital mirror.

OFP

Reaction score
Wow, must be a lot of hail damage to total a newer truck. Thanks for following through with this for us!
yeah i'm stubborn. now that i got my 2021 limited with the technology package im tempted to pull both bcm's and just see if it works, then yah know clear all the codes, lol. but i'll wait for the correct one, on that note anyone in DFW want to do a rim swap with my 2019 laramie that i just put a set of 4 michelin LTX's on 300 miles ago? obviously not for free, just pay me for the tires and you could get a rim upgrade, insurance won't know the difference. if not i'm going to have a tire shop pull them off and i'll sell them.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OFP
I’m in the DFW area. Wish I saw this earlier just got a extra set of rims / tires today.
Sending them out to be powder coated. Next up l will buy bumper grills, hood etc . If the bcm works let me know I’ll buy. Presently won‘t trade truck for upgrade. Purchased a few months back . Very happy with it. I will blackout if I find all the parts or I’m fine leaving as is. I will change the rims once I get the powder coated set back no matter what.

Last edited:

OFP

Reaction score
well i got the BCM back from the guy who was going to program it and while he did get it out of plant mode he didn't set the VIN so the system won't let me cycle the key.

i won't have the truck long enough to keep trying because insurance is taking it soon. i'll have the mirror, cable, chmsl and BCM for sale if anyone wants to buy the lot and try.
i will not when doing the alpha obd command to acc/run1 the mirror lit up and said to flip but didn't have the broken linbus symbol.

i'd like $800 for the set (paid $1100+shipping/programming that didn't work); cable, mirror, chmsl, 2021 bcm. all brand new and never driven, only installed loose to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online