5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

obrien

Reaction score
I would love to set it up on the bench with just camera and mirror and see if I could make it work.. I wonder if those extra wires are a full bus which communicate with the mirror microcontroller and let it use the cam, or can there be just 12v signal pin. I do not have experience with car component so hard to say but it would be fun hacking project.

obrien

Reaction score
FYI this is the connector next to the glovebox on 2021 BigHorn with only manual dimming mirror 20210122_234420.jpg

obrien

Reaction score
yeah I was
Then you do have the connector for the rear view mirror already in the headliner.
Yeah I was surprised, probably it is cheaper for them to have it everywhere than use different wiring for different trims. So if I read it right I should need only new mirror, light and cable and it should be possible to make it work. I am putting it down to my list!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I was

Yeah I was surprised, probably it is cheaper for them to have it everywhere than use different wiring for different trims. So if I read it right I should need only new mirror, light and cable and it should be possible to make it work. I am putting it down to my list!
Being that you have a ‘21, I’d say yes.

emg530

Reaction score
Disappointed to hear the auto-dim doesn't work after the mirror and brake light install even on 2021's. If there's a fix for this I look forward to hearing it.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disappointed to hear the auto-dim doesn't work after the mirror and brake light install even on 2021's. If there's a fix for this I look forward to hearing it.
The auto dim doesnt work on the mirror either? I thought we would just lose the auto high beams.

emg530

Reaction score
The auto dim doesnt work on the mirror either? I thought we would just lose the auto high beams.
**** I wasn't aware the auto high beam stopped working too lol. Id imagine there's got to be a code that needs to be checked similar to the bed lights.
**Edit- scrolled back and read a few posts. Seems like you only lose auto high beam if you dont have the ACC or FWC features.

Last edited:

VinnyRam

Reaction score
yeah I was

Could you please post the model numbers or links for the 3 items you stated above ? Thanks

knightro84

Reaction score
Could you please post the model numbers or links for the 3 items you stated above ? Thanks

Third brake light: 68444540AB
Digital mirror: 68448641AB (I am selling mirror+cable currently, thread in the buy/sell/trade forum)
Cable: you can get a cheap one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2VBYWZ/ref=twister_B08BCSQCK1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1, or you can get a higher quality one from places like Pasternack with the correct keyed connectors on each end instead of the universal keyed connectors.

VinnyRam

Reaction score

OFP

Reaction score
They’re just going to get the newest revision of the part number used on your truck based on it’s VIN, and restore your vehicle configuration to it. You’ll basically end up with the same BCM you have now. Let alone their ignorant prices. You can get a brand new BCM for ~$150, and configure it yourself with a crude bench setup
h1vfoJC.jpg
Could you just install a new BCM and then program it with alpha obd while its in the vehicle and then clear the codes?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could you just install a new BCM and then program it with alpha obd while its in the vehicle and then clear the codes?
Yes, just don’t put the ignition in acc or run until you’ve matched all the settings. You’ll have a VIN mismatch fault stored until you get the dealer to restore your configuration to the new BCM. It’s not a big deal, though.

OFP

Reaction score
Yes, just don’t put the ignition in acc or run until you’ve matched all the settings. You’ll have a VIN mismatch fault stored until you get the dealer to restore your configuration to the new BCM. It’s not a big deal, though.
next is the general consensus that installing a 2021 bcm in a 2019 and changing all the settings to match the 2019 the solution to getting the digital mirror to work? because i will buy that bcm today and when it gets here do exactly that. also any part numbers for that rig you have pictured, i wouldn't mind building that. or if you have the wiring diagram i'm sure i could make the connectors

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
next is the general consensus that installing a 2021 bcm in a 2019 and changing all the settings to match the 2019 the solution to getting the digital mirror to work? because i will buy that bcm today and when it gets here do exactly that. also any part numbers for that rig you have pictured, i wouldn't mind building that. or if you have the wiring diagram i'm sure i could make the connectors
Possibly. That would be the first thing I would try. Then again, you might gain the digital rear view mirror function, but lose something else because messages might be different for some other features.

OFP

Reaction score
Possibly. That would be the first thing I would try. Then again, you might gain the digital rear view mirror function, but lose something else because messages might be different for some other features.
ok. I ordered it, should be here in a few days. I'll report back if it works and if anything else doesn't work. I have a fully loaded laramie so aside from adaptive headlights and rear seat coolers i have every feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online