5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

Evank33

Reaction score
Ran my config on AlphaOBD... saved it as a PDF from Google Drive and I've attached here.
Did you try enabling the chmsl camera? But while searching on the file I came across it. Might be worth a shot.

Attachments

• 20210111_011120.jpg
    20210111_011120.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20210111_013301.jpg
    20210111_013301.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

knightro84

Reaction score
Did you try enabling the chmsl camera? But while searching on the file I came across it. Might be worth a shot.

Yes, I tried a number of different settings that appeared they might be related to the camera in the CHMSL.

Scorch95

Reaction score
Correct. This would actually be the easiest connector to remove it from temporarily. It’s behind the panel on the side of the glovebox -
Pr5uknj.jpg
VvWTNOS.jpg

Basically, you slide the blue lock out, and stick a paper clip, or similar, in the hole above the terminal to pry up the locking tab to be able to pull the wire out- https://ecat.aptiv.com/docs/default..._33265159_cus73_s01-pdf.pdf?sfvrsn=94a7d4d1_0

Would these extra wires be present in a 2021 that does not have ACC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would these extra wires be present in a 2021 that does not have ACC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every truck that has AT LEAST an auto dim mirror has the same mirror connector with the same three wires (power, ground, Lin bus).
All trucks, even ones with a standard non dimming mirror, have those three wire present up to the IP harness connector that the mirror jumper harness plugs into at the side of the glovebox.

Gitter

Reaction score
Got My CHMSL today got installed (very easy) the light is not as bright as the LED's I had in before but it looks a lot better.

Thanks for the feedback...I was curious about the brightness of the new LED vs aftermarket replacement LED bulbs. I want it bright when unloading!

Ramjeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback...I was curious about the brightness of the new LED vs aftermarket replacement LED bulbs. I want it bright when unloading!
yea it’s definitely not as bright I should’ve grabbed a picture of before and after.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is plenty bright to do whatever you need...you're not trying to light up a football field ;)

Gitter

Reaction score
It is plenty bright to do whatever you need...you're not trying to light up a football field ;)

Lol, I'm trying to light up campsites. More often than not, we arrive after dusk and pack up before dawn. I normally wear a lighted headband and scatter a few lamps around the trailer, but it'd be easier if I could just leave a couple flood lights on, but it wouldn't look anywhere as nice as this new CHMSL.

TexEric

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited without the tech package. Admittedly, I didn’t research this package beforehand. Now, I’m kicking myself a bit, although with employee discount pricing, I got a great deal on an amazing truck. I don’t necessarily want or need the HUD; nice toy to play around with but I get all the info I need elsewhere, so it seems a bit redundant. The digital rear view mirror, however, is another matter as that would be a big boost to safety. I don’t see where this is offered on Mopar for my truck (guess I’m not looking in the right place), and it’s not on Ram’s website. My hope is that in the near future this will be offered as a standalone accessory. I think Ram would be stupid not to offer it since (1) a lot of people want it and (2) parts + installation would likely be comparable to the cost of the tech package itself, so they wouldn’t be losing any money. Course it might be a few years as well.

This is my first post on this forum. Happy to be here.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited without the tech package. Admittedly, I didn’t research this package beforehand. Now, I’m kicking myself a bit, although with employee discount pricing, I got a great deal on an amazing truck. I don’t necessarily want or need the HUD; nice toy to play around with but I get all the info I need elsewhere, so it seems a bit redundant. The digital rear view mirror, however, is another matter as that would be a big boost to safety. I don’t see where this is offered on Mopar for my truck (guess I’m not looking in the right place), and it’s not on Ram’s website. My hope is that in the near future this will be offered as a standalone accessory. I think Ram would be stupid not to offer it since (1) a lot of people want it and (2) parts + installation would likely be comparable to the cost of the tech package itself, so they wouldn’t be losing any money. Course it might be a few years as well.

This is my first post on this forum. Happy to be here.
Love my tech package and the HUD is far more valuable than you think. If you had it, I assure you would see great value in it. Why do you think fighter pilot jets have them🤔 We all make mistakes so don’t sweat it. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!

TexEric

Reaction score
Love my tech package and the HUD is far more valuable than you think. If you had it, I assure you would see great value in it. Why do you think fighter pilot jets have them🤔 We all make mistakes so don’t sweat it. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!
The HUD might be more useful than I think, so maybe I’m trying to make myself feel better. Thing is, I can’t do squat about about the HUD since it’s not a realistic add on, so I have to forget that. The digital mirror, however, shouldn’t be a tough addition and it’s something I’d constantly use. Hope it’s made available at some point.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The HUD might be more useful than I think, so maybe I’m trying to make myself feel better. Thing is, I can’t do squat about about the HUD since it’s not a realistic add on, so I have to forget that. The digital mirror, however, shouldn’t be a tough addition and it’s something I’d constantly use. Hope it’s made available at some point.
If you have a 2021, I believe it can be easily added and the parts needed have been listed on the forum. It’s not cheap, but is doable.

davidn0021

Reaction score
I'm with @securityguy. The only reason I traded in my 2019 to get the 2021 was for the Night and Tech packages. The HUD is even better than the HUD on the wife's X5!

Evank33

Reaction score
I was looking through alfaobd and noticed this on 2019 vehicle settings. Is anyone that has a 2021 with the camera factory or working able to verify if these setting change?

Attachments

• 20210119_052919.jpg
    20210119_052919.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 100

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking through alfaobd and noticed this on 2019 vehicle settings. Is anyone that has a 2021 with the camera factory or working able to verify if these setting change?
CHMSL camera setting refers to the cargo camera. It uses pins 21,22,&23 on the radio connector, and is operated by a soft key in the radio. That one wouldn’t have anything to do with the mirror camera.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
CHMSL camera setting refers to the cargo camera. It uses pins 21,22,&23 on the radio connector, and is operated by a soft key in the radio. That one wouldn’t have anything to do with the mirror camera.
The 2021 has no CARGO camera. The camera in the CHMSL on a 2021 is for the rear view mirror camera. Correct in that those settings in a 2019 will not show up.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2021 has no CARGO camera. The camera in the CHMSL on a 2021 is for the rear view mirror camera. Correct in that those settings in a 2019 will not show up.
That setting in AlfaOBD has nothing to do with the camera for the rear view mirror. It is there specifically for the cargo camera on the HD Rams. You can enable that setting on any FCA vehicle, pin a camera in the appropriate positions on the radio connector, and the cargo camera soft key will show up to toggle the camera on and off. This is the setting that people have been using for years to install a front camera.
XcNIrh7.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That setting in AlfaOBD has nothing to do with the camera for the rear view mirror. It is there specifically for the cargo camera on the HD Rams. You can enable that setting on any FCA vehicle, pin a camera in the appropriate positions on the radio connector, and the cargo camera soft key will show up to toggle the camera on and off. This is the setting that people have been using for years to install a front camera.
Yep...that's what I said above. The CHMSL camera settings for the rear view mirror will not show up in a 2019-2020 truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/