5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.0 GPS Navigation Location Wrong

Tallus

Reaction score
This is likely a hardware issue on the wireless card. I will confirm. I have had several issues Documented in my other post I have ordered a wireless card and will see if this will correct the issue. I should have it this weekend.

Tallus

Reaction score
Confirmed! GPS is now working.

My other post

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmed! GPS is now working.

My other post
Seems 2019 has this GPS issue now too. Says I'm about 1000 miles from my current location and compass is all whack.

Is this card you mention an easy replacement?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems 2019 has this GPS issue now too. Says I'm about 1000 miles from my current location and compass is all whack.

Hi wildh24,

If this is happening with your navigation system, there may be an available update to address this. Feel welcome to PM our team with your VIN and current software version, and we can check for you.

Steph
Ram Cares

Tallus

Reaction score

Yes, if you have experience removing your radio module. I replace mine in 20 minutes. But try the software route first, especially if it recently upgraded.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, if you have experience removing your radio module. I replace mine in 20 minutes. But try the software route first, especially if it recently upgraded.
I've pulled the 12" screen module from the dash a couple of times. I assume the replacement part you mention is attached to that or behind it? Do you have the part number? If it's a plug in part then I'd be very comfortable tackling it. If it's soldering something in....less so.

I'm waiting to hear from ram cares on the software. I don't if an update was pushed recently. Can't actually recall one going out a long time.

Tallus

Reaction score
I've pulled the 12" screen module from the dash a couple of times. I assume the replacement part you mention is attached to that or behind it? Do you have the part number? If it's a plug in part then I'd be very comfortable tackling it. If it's soldering something in....less so.

I'm waiting to hear from ram cares on the software. I don't if an update was pushed recently. Can't actually recall one going out a long time.
You have to open the module up with the 5 screws, take the two screws holding the air card. Pull apart the two card to disconnect the air card.

Last picture is it showing me in Georgia before the fix. I live in northern Indiana.

I didn’t care about cell service. Part below.

PC Board Sierra Wireless Air-prime AR7552 4G for VP4R Chrysler 300 200 Dodge | eBay IMG_1205.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1240.jpeg
    IMG_1240.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score

CoZo6

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a fix or reset? My navigation map shows me 150 miles away from my present location. Direction on compass is wrong and no satellites are located and visible on the display. Tried to get this fixed in Dec 2020 and was told would have to wait for an update sometime spring 2021. One would think there would be a reset to get the unit to locate the satellites. I have tried various things to get it to reset to no avail, disconnecting the battery, driving in circles as advised by FCA, holding the power and tuning buttons etc. 2019 1500.
When I was on the 4th Gen group the problem was there too. I’m looking back but one suggestion (don’t know if it worked though) was to drive in in an empty area without guardrails, etc., and drive counter clockwise at least 5 times in a tight circle to recalibrate the GPS. This was the recommendation offered by Uconnect at the time.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like they are back in stock.
Got the module and installed in about 15 min. Hardest part is getting the posts, screws, and covers lined up. GPS, Compass, and clock all working perfect! Many thanks Tallus!

SWick

Reaction score
Tallus said: Looks like they are back in stock.
Wildh24: Got the module and installed in about 15 min. Hardest part is getting the posts, screws, and covers lined up. GPS, Compass, and clock all working perfect! Many thanks Tallus!
Used the link provided by Tallus, thanks for that. received the part and was able to get it installed. While I had it all apart, the screen looked like it had water behind it found that this is the glue between the defuser and screen leaking. So I cleaned all that off and put it back together. Thanks to this Tallus and this forum I saved Thousands of dollars.
The part description from eBay says for dodge 300 or something like that. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie with the 8.4 screen and it was the exact same part.

slickpig

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 1500, the navigation was off and the gps accuracy said None, and no satellites were being seen. I was also getting the "device not supported" error everytime I drove it. I purchased the new map pack which came with a uconnect software update to version 22.34.11, I was on version 20.04.19. The updated failed at first I assume because of the USB "device not supported" error. but installed correctly the 2nd time, and bingo, navigation was reset and works as expected, and device not supported error has also gone away. $99 well spent, hopefully it stays fixed. 12in screen/console fyi.

chadillac0121

Reaction score
I just received the Wireless part linked by Tallus in an attempt to get GPS working in my 2019 1500, which I purchased gently used post-8.4 to 12 inch conversion (didn’t know this at the time).

Makes sense why GPS wasn’t working, there isn’t even an existing Wireless card… The trouble I ran into is I took the radio module apart and the cable you plug the Wireless part into isn’t there, and my part didn’t come with one…

Anyone have any idea how I could get my hands on this cable?

(Photo borrowed and cropped from Tallus)

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3563.jpeg
    IMG_3563.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 43

Tallus

Reaction score
I have a ribbon cable, however do you have the small wire harness? PM me
image.jpg

Last edited:

2019limited

Reaction score
Summary of my experience:
I replaced my battery right before Thanksgiving and afterward I noticed several things weren't working including my GPS. I waited the recommended overnight period and several functions returned (like backup camera), but the GPS still wasn't working. I tried resetting several times by disconnecting the battery, but the GPS never returned. Holding in the power and tune button simultaneously wouldn't do a software reset on my system. I tried calling a dealership multiple times to speak with a service manager just to see if they had heard about this problem... and they never returned any of my calls.

I saw where one person said they ordered a map update and it came with a software update and that fixed their similar issue. (I didn't realize that I could have downloaded just the software update for free here.) So I ordered the map update from UConnect and attempted the update. No Joy. It would get to 19% and stay at 19% for like 10 minutes and then pass an error code 20. I called Uconnect support and their only advice was to take it to a dealership.
Then, @Tallus commented on one of my posts with this recommendation for replacing the air card. I got the air card from the Ebay link he provided and performed the brain surgery on my system.

When I reconnected everything and started my truck, there were a few functions missing like backup camera and only my passenger seats heat/vent functionality... driver side was there. But GPS was working again!

So now I tried the software update from Uconnect. It got past 19% relatively quickly and eventually installed all the way. Then after the software update, everything was working again as it should. GPS, backup cameras, heated/vented seats.

All in all... I spent about $200 to fix my navigation issue and update the maps. The dealership would have charged me more than that just to "diagnose" the issue... and probably would have tried to sell me a refurbished 12" display which wouldn't even solve the problem unless they also replaced the brain behind the dash.

Thanks again to @Tallus, he saved several us a bunch of money.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All in all... I spent about $200 to fix my navigation issue and update the maps. The dealership would have charged me more than that just to "diagnose" the issue... and probably would have tried to sell me a refurbished 12" display which wouldn't even solve the problem unless they also replaced the brain behind the dash.
Get your info correct if you are going to try to bash a dealer. This would make you seem a little more credible.

Paying for diagnosis is a standard practice in the industry. You can always go to autozone and get your free diagnosis....

You should have kept it simple and thanked the people that helped you correct the issue.

2019limited

Reaction score
Get your info correct if you are going to try to bash a dealer. This would make you seem a little more credible.

Paying for diagnosis is a standard practice in the industry. You can always go to autozone and get your free diagnosis....

You should have kept it simple and thanked the people that helped you correct the issue.
What info isn't correct? The dealer told me their fee was $219 just for diagnosis. Several others on 5thGenRams have said their stereo had issues and the dealer wanted to replace the head unit.
I'm pretty sure autozone wouldn't be able to diagnose this issue, let alone recommend a fix for it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What info isn't correct? The dealer told me their fee was $219 just for diagnosis. Several others on 5thGenRams have said their stereo had issues and the dealer wanted to replace the head unit.
I'm pretty sure autozone wouldn't be able to diagnose this issue, let alone recommend a fix for it.
Looking at your truck should be free, that makes sense. Several people on the internet said it, so it must be true. OK. Reman displays, is that a thing? Sometimes service advisors don't know weather a radio is a box in the dash or a complete unit with display, you get that there are many different systems over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/