5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.0 GPS Navigation Location Wrong

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I received from Uconnect regarding my 2020 Ram 3500...his spoken and written English was terrible. If this does not work, then I'm supposed go to dealer. Terrible service.

GPS reset

1) set route to the destination anywhere near 5 miles or 10 miles . After route is set, go to open parking lot for 5 anticlockwise circles to your left under 15 mph. Once you complete the circles , open driver side door for 2 minutes and shut your vehicle and radio off. After 2-3 minutes , switch open your door and radio .See if it works ok otherwise call the number
8664628837 : Map or navigation and last resort go to the dealer
EFbFnc2bqm19JtU3oQrc1ZcaK8PD3ok7e0dxk5VlmO8qIXUAo-drJLsSoxbYnPvEWWFRhhr-z_i23hfEmDIHBYDLb1YnMCMcuGinxRd4rrjtxQ29rnudasLyj3lnoXIVOyjD-r7o4J9PNnX1LYHpB6DuErugsa_V6MsFG8_FnVONBwI=s0-d-e1-ft

He forgot for you to run with scissors and do a rain dance. That stuff he listed will not work. If you are not showing satellite signal in the info tab while in nav mode your radio gps antenna failed and you need a new radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avalanchez

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part numbers ordered by dealership for the 12", looking to fix myself.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went through 3 Garmin NUVI GPS units that lost the Satellite's Signals. Turned out
that a switching chip inside would fail and switched the internal Antenna to an external
one that did not exist at the time. I purchased a powered external antenna until I could
get replacement chips and do an internal fix with adding a resistor to ground to stop
the Failures.

Malodave

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Radio replaced and everything works perfectly. I did notice they the screens react faster to touches and it seems like the stereo (hk) has extra kick. It sounded great before but now feels even better. Mine was never subject to the tsb for fixing a weak woofer. Seems like the new head unit might actually be an upgrade over the ones used in ‘19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdeperte

Reaction score
Apparently I have a hardware issue as I have no GPS signals. Which means my radio could have been fixed (replaced) months ago if Uconnect, RamCares, or the dealer would have let me bring the vehicle in for diagnosis instead of telling me to wait for an update.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
My truck thinks its in the pacific ocean. I disconnected the satellite radio antenna but that should not have affected GPS.
my service advisor doesnt even return calls anymore. Funny considering how much money the dealer makes off my truck.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue where the GPS reliability is "none" and no signal on any satellite. Had it in for a few other things and the tech wrote that the HW passed diagnostics and there was a TSB for a FW fix but that he didn't have access to it. Only Uconnect has access to push it OTA.

So I believed them and drove off.

Hit the Assist button to call Uconnect and it just hung for 20 minutes "Calling." There was no calling, it just thought there was. Once home I hit the SOS button where I got a bright red drop down warning on the 12" shown below.

After a few other tries I got a voice message that the embedded phone had no signal, so now I have two devices with no signal.

Called the service advisor and he gave me the number of Uconnect to call on my cell. The girl who answered was nice but clearly just reading off of screens with no understanding of how any of this works. She did find a note that a FW addressing this issue was listed but that it was "not yet released." I had to ask several different ways to confirm that she meant it was not released by FCA at all, just planned with no ETA.

Good thing I had a case opened for the AC TSB, I rolled this one into it and we'll see what happens as I'm now stuck between the dealer and Uconnect pointing the finger at each other.

Anyone ever see this error message though?
20210714_155223.jpg

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I've had some random issues with the Uconnect. Bluetooth dials my cell number and hangs up, screen flickers on and off randomly, etc. I have been 'curing' these with a battery disconnect. At 26k I'm thinking I need to consider an extended warranty.

LXTheGreat

Reaction score
I don't own a RAM, I own a Jeep Renegade Deserthawk 2017. I've been dealing with a navigation issue for 2 years now. I originally took it in because my navigation was showing me going backwards, or like many here, somewhere else. CDJR tried updating it, flashing it, etc. It didn't work, so they replaced the entire radio. Didn't work, still did that same thing, but somehow got worse. Now, my Jeep not only has navigation issues, Holding the voice command button on the steering wheel no longer activates siri, I lost all my siriusxm stuff (though I think if I call they can relink it to this new unit), and weirdly, my car randomly resets my units to metric units, so I have to switch them all back to imperial units. Oh, it also randomly removes the backup guide lines, then puts them back later. I immediately let the dealership know, and they said they would try flashing this new unit, then updating it again. Then, the dealership closed due to the pandemic, so I took it to another one right before my warranty was about to expire, and they tried updating it, but same issues. Then they told me I just have to wait, as Chrysler knows of the issue and is working on pushing out an update. I also called Uconnect directly and they said they knew of the issue and were working on an update. This was the resolution we left off at a year ago. Fast forward to now, I took my car in and asked them about this (now out of warranty), and they said they would apply new updates they had for the system. The updates not only didn't help, but now the built in voice command thing can no longer understand the address I give it, so it broke even more. The tech told me that he has been getting an exceptional amount of complaints across all cars that have the Uconnect system, with navigation issues, malfunctioning, slow usage, backup camera issues, etc. He told me to reach out to Chrysler or Uconnect again to try and open a case directly with them. He also mentioned that they've had Uconnect complaints for a few years now, so I guess this is a well known widespread issue. He mentioned they may have to replace the radio again, which is fine, but what is odd to me is all these issues started happening immediately after this one system update when I took it in. Clearly replacing the radio the first time did nothing for me, though in this forum it seems to have helped with others. I honestly think it's a software issue, like some bug they can't seem to fix. Oh, and when my navigation does work, the system detects a bunch of satellites. When it doesn't work, it detects none. It randomly does and doesn't work. I have an antitheft system in my car that has its own navigation, and it consistently has signal, so it doesn't seem to be that I am in dead spots or anything like that.

My guess is the car for some reason at startup can't connect to GPS satellites sometimes, and instead of continuing to try to connect, it just stays disconnect for the duration of the ride. When the car is able to connect to satellites when starting up, it corrects itself and works for the remainder of the ride. I don't know though.

My next step will be reaching out to Chrysler and Uconnect again. This is honestly tiring, it makes me annoyed I even purchased the upgraded navi package. Of the 4 years I've had my car, I haven't been able to use my navigation for over half of the time I've had it. This is on top of many other issues I've had with my car. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever buy any cars from CDJR again.

LV426

Reaction score
That absolutely sucks and I honestly hope you get some sort of resolution. This is the 100% reason why I'm going to bug the **** out of Uconnect, Ram and whoever else because I feel like anything with Uconnect lacks support. My current complaints:

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn Limited with the 12” navigation screen. I also own a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Both vehicles have the Uconnect system.
Only the Jeep Uconnect system provides a VHR with information on 12 different systems in the vehicle (anti- lock brakes, oil, transmission etc).
The RAM Uconnect system does NOT offer (yet) a VHR.
I called the Uconnect technical staff back in February asking why the Uconnect download on the RAM does NOT provide the VHR like Jeep and their answer was the RAM Uconnect system does NOT support the VHR.

jabberwock

Reaction score
dealer ended up swapping the radio for me and now it works again.
No GPS signal = radio swap.
Hopefully that will be the last radio-related gremlin for me...
now here's hoping for a map update

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after two dealer visits (already there for AC TSB), and both times they said all the HW checks out as fine, UConnect bumped me up to sr support. He had me check the Connectivity section of the dealer menu (hold down two lower soft buttons for a few seconds) and read off the MSISDN info. When I told him it was blank he didn't hesitate for a moment, "well we're going to replace your radio."

Not saying this is the 100% diagnostic, but if you ever have a screen like this, skip the dealer and call Uconnect to get it fixed.
20210802_112853.jpg

Bad Chad

Reaction score
My nav has been spotty since purchasing the 2019 1500 Limited 4x4 but it ultimately died 2 weeks ago and have had no luck getting it to work again. The worst part of though is now the truck has over 50k miles and there's no warranty to help out the cause. I can't imagine the cost to replace it. Anyone know?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My nav has been spotty since purchasing the 2019 1500 Limited 4x4 but it ultimately died 2 weeks ago and have had no luck getting it to work again. The worst part of though is now the truck has over 50k miles and there's no warranty to help out the cause. I can't imagine the cost to replace it. Anyone know?
The radio module, the part that would be at fault, is part number 68317978AL. About $660, and simple to swap out.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after two dealer visits (already there for AC TSB), and both times they said all the HW checks out as fine, UConnect bumped me up to sr support. He had me check the Connectivity section of the dealer menu (hold down two lower soft buttons for a few seconds) and read off the MSISDN info. When I told him it was blank he didn't hesitate for a moment, "well we're going to replace your radio."

Not saying this is the 100% diagnostic, but if you ever have a screen like this, skip the dealer and call Uconnect to get it fixed.
View attachment 101708

Just got back from the dealer and everything works again. They replaced the radio so I went from a N0GL to an NFFX hardware version. No noticeable differences other than the GPS works as advertised again.

Ljander

Reaction score

View attachment 101708
What do you mean soft Buttons?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you mean soft Buttons?

On screen buttons as opposed to the physical buttons surrounding the 12". It doesn't matter what you have set as the two outer screen "buttons" (icons), you just tap and hold them until the dealer menu appears.

Users who are viewing this thread