5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.0 GPS Navigation Location Wrong

NWRogue

Reaction score
I have the same issue now -- it's consistently showing me 30 miles off course. I spoke to UConnect Support via the chat app and this was the advice to reset the nav:

Navigation Reset:
The most accurate way to do this is, to set up a route on the Navigation system, and along that route is pull in to a department store parking lot. You will need to stop the vehicle, and drive the vehicle in 5 tight circles counter clockwise not exceeding 15 MPH. Then park the vehicle and go shopping, whatever they may need to do. OR stop the vehicle turn it off and open the driver’s door for a minimal of 2 minutes.
--

I haven't tried the above yet but hope it works....
Seems bonkers that there is no user-accessible software reset option.
Ok, sorry I'm late to this thread and glad I have a 2020.

But I read that and was wondering where the part about rubbing your head and stomach in opposite directions at the same time fit into the reset process.

I'd like to meet the engineer that came up with that procedure, they should be a comedian.

:)

Big White RAM

Reaction score
After almost 2yrs and 9,000 miles, my GPS is telling me I'm about 15 or so miles from my actual location. It says the reliability is zero; I have the 12" screen. For those owners who have had the radio replaced, was it the complete 12" display or is it a seperate GPS Module? I know I can take it to the dealer and risk having them damage the interior while R/Ring the unit which may or may not solve the problem, so I would rather do it myself. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After almost 2yrs and 9,000 miles, my GPS is telling me I'm about 15 or so miles from my actual location. It says the reliability is zero; I have the 12" screen. For those owners who have had the radio replaced, was it the complete 12" display or is it a seperate GPS Module? I know I can take it to the dealer and risk having them damage the interior while R/Ring the unit which may or may not solve the problem, so I would rather do it myself. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

For the radio, my dealer completely relied on Uconnect to diagnose and tell them the radio needed replacing. IF you go back in this thread and read my posts you'll see how they ran diags at the dealer and found no issue. Uconnect had me on the phone for 3 minutes and said "you need a new radio." Uconnect ordered it to my dealer who installed it. It appears to be the whole 12" unit that was replaced. I also had no cellular connectivity so both the GPS and cell had died in mine.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
For the radio, my dealer completely relied on Uconnect to diagnose and tell them the radio needed replacing. IF you go back in this thread and read my posts you'll see how they ran diags at the dealer and found no issue. Uconnect had me on the phone for 3 minutes and said "you need a new radio." Uconnect ordered it to my dealer who installed it. It appears to be the whole 12" unit that was replaced. I also had no cellular connectivity so both the GPS and cell had died in mine.
Thanks for the reply. My cellular connectivity works fine as does everything else other than the GPS and compass. I most likely will order the radio module as I would rather stay away from the dealerships unless it's a major expense.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi there-- we see you might be experiencing some concerns with your Uconnect system. If you're still experiencing these concerns and would like us to look into it for you, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and any additional details/documentation that will help me get a better understanding of your situation.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

LV426

Reaction score
Hi there-- we see you might be experiencing some concerns with your Uconnect system. If you're still experiencing these concerns and would like us to look into it for you, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and any additional details/documentation that will help me get a better understanding of your situation.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
Hi Courtney

Any chance you guys could comment or offer some insight as to when these rather expensive radios will if ever receive an update to squash some of the reported bugs and improve performance? Its very unusual for a device like this to not receive updates these days.
Owners are wondering, please feel free to comment.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi Courtney

Any chance you guys could comment or offer some insight as to when these rather expensive radios will if ever receive an update to squash some of the reported bugs and improve performance? Its very unusual for a device like this to not receive updates these days.
Owners are wondering, please feel free to comment.
Absolutely! Various software updates are released for various vehicles, quite often. I'd be happy to look into this if you'd like to follow up privately so that I can collect your VIN and Uconnect system information.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

LV426

Reaction score
HI Courtney,

No need for privacy regarding the VIN, we all have them right on the windshield for the world to see, nothing secret about my vehicles configuration...
1C6SRFFT6LN363274 - Uconnect 12.0–Inch, Nav HW CNS29N3GL SW version (20.04.19)

Anyway, feel free to let us 2020 users know when our Uconnect 12 will finally receive some kind of update because they need one.....

LV426

Reaction score
I will take the lack of replay as there is no update and probably wont be one anytime soon....

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Discovered that my GPS is shot too. I do wonder how long it's been like this as I normally use Google Maps. l've scheduled an appointment with my dealership to take care of it.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Took my baby in today. Yup, the GPS is shot so they've ordered a replacement. I'm told it will be 2 to 3 week for it to arrive. Is there any way to know what HW revision is based on the identifier? TIA

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the defective GPS hardware in the radio module? Being that the replacement radios from RAM are rebuilt units, they must have replaced the failed GPS chips (or whatever components failed). For those of us who are experienced with electronics it would save some cash to repair the units ourselves.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Took my baby in today. Yup, the GPS is shot so they've ordered a replacement. I'm told it will be 2 to 3 week for it to arrive. Is there any way to know what HW revision is based on the identifier? TIA
Got a call from my service adviser today. Radio is in (less than a week) so I scheduled to drop it off on Thurs for them to replace it.

Farble

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the 12in infotainment system. I brought the truck in a few weeks ago because I felt my MPG was low compared to other people. They updated a few modules and ever since my GPS navigation location has been off by about 300 miles. I finally had time to bring it back in for them to look at it and they are saying they need to replace the entire infotainment unit.

As others have discussed this seems like a rather extreme solution to what I think is firmware related.

Edit: Dealer referenced TSB s2008000141 which I uploaded as an attachment for those curious. Something to do with an internal radio component losing data/ID. They replaced the radio and everything is working properly again.

View attachment 119314

View attachment 119316

Last edited:

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the 12in infotainment system. I brought the truck in a few weeks ago because I felt my MPG was low compared to other people. They updated a few modules and ever since my GPS navigation location has been off by about 300 miles. I finally had time to bring it back in for them to look at it and they are saying they need to replace the entire infotainment unit.

As others have discussed this seems like a rather extreme solution to what I think is firmware related.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Can't speak for others but for me it was most definitely a hardware failure. One of the things that my dealer did was flash the infotainment unit with the latest firmware and it didn't make a difference.

Famdoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My cellular connectivity works fine as does everything else other than the GPS and compass. I most likely will order the radio module as I would rather stay away from the dealerships unless it's a major expense.
I have had the same issue with my 2020 1500 Limited. I am out of the warranty and the dealer just gave me the run around on what was wrong when it was still under warranty. I was wondering if you ever ordered the radio module and tried replacing it, and if it was successful. If so, where did you get it from? Thanks!

Striker99

Reaction score
So after two dealer visits (already there for AC TSB), and both times they said all the HW checks out as fine, UConnect bumped me up to sr support. He had me check the Connectivity section of the dealer menu (hold down two lower soft buttons for a few seconds) and read off the MSISDN info. When I told him it was blank he didn't hesitate for a moment, "well we're going to replace your radio."

Not saying this is the 100% diagnostic, but if you ever have a screen like this, skip the dealer and call Uconnect to get it fixed.
View attachment 101708
Hi... I have the same issue, did Uconnect resolve the problem?

RamCares

Reaction score
I have had the same issue with my 2020 1500 Limited. I am out of the warranty and the dealer just gave me the run around on what was wrong when it was still under warranty. I was wondering if you ever ordered the radio module and tried replacing it, and if it was successful. If so, where did you get it from? Thanks!
Hi... I have the same issue, did Uconnect resolve the problem?
Hi Famdoc and Striker99,

We're sorry you're experiencing this with your Uconnect radio. Feel free to shoot us a PM for additional support.

Steph
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread