5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.0 GPS Navigation Location Wrong

tdeperte

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a fix or reset? My navigation map shows me 150 miles away from my present location. Direction on compass is wrong and no satellites are located and visible on the display. Tried to get this fixed in Dec 2020 and was told would have to wait for an update sometime spring 2021. One would think there would be a reset to get the unit to locate the satellites. I have tried various things to get it to reset to no avail, disconnecting the battery, driving in circles as advised by FCA, holding the power and tuning buttons etc. 2019 1500.

tdeperte

Reaction score
Have you called Uconnect?
I would have the dealer re-flash it if it were mine.
Tried working with the dealer and a case was opened with Uconnect. Both said there was no fix. Said a reflash would not fix the issue and could possibly cause other unwanted issues.

whonut

Reaction score
Same problem here. Took it into dealership three times. First two they tried to fix it. Finally ordered an entire new system.

tdeperte

Reaction score
Just called the dealership service department. No fix no update. Now they are saying an update should be released in April which will address many issues with the Uconnect system. I don't have "many" issues, I have a useless navigation system that does not work and hasn't since Nov 2020. They won't replace the radio until they try the update first. How long is reasonable to get a new vehicle warranty honored? Six months waiting (maybe longer if the update doesn't fix the defect) is ridiculous to me.

whonut

Reaction score
Just called the dealership service department. No fix no update. Now they are saying an update should be released in April which will address many issues with the Uconnect system. I don't have "many" issues, I have a useless navigation system that does not work and hasn't since Nov 2020. They won't replace the radio until they try the update first. How long is reasonable to get a new vehicle warranty honored? Six months waiting (maybe longer if the update doesn't fix the defect) is ridiculous to me.
That's not acceptable. My nav and compass were doing exactly as you describe. You shouldn't be waiting for an update...your system is jacked up and they need to fix it. I'd pitch a fit.

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
That is not right. If it were simply a firmware issue on your truck, then all the other trucks on their lot with the same radio would have the same issue. It feels like they are wasting your time and hoping you will just go to a different dealer. That may be your best option, all things considered.

rgaret

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a fix or reset? My navigation map shows me 150 miles away from my present location. Direction on compass is wrong and no satellites are located and visible on the display. Tried to get this fixed in Dec 2020 and was told would have to wait for an update sometime spring 2021. One would think there would be a reset to get the unit to locate the satellites. I have tried various things to get it to reset to no avail, disconnecting the battery, driving in circles as advised by FCA, holding the power and tuning buttons etc. 2019 1500.
I am experiencing the exact same issue. Went in to the service deparement yesterday. The Advisor pretty much told me this happens on a frequent basis, especially after updates are pushed out, but not always. He was already ordering me a new radio unit before I even got out of my truck. He said that Stellantis recovers the costs of the radio from Panasonic, the OEM manufacturer. They did try the TSB and reset before I left, but of course it didn't work.

tdeperte

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses here. Seems like a new radio is the fix at present (and past) and they don't want to do it. In all fairness Uconnect at the beginning said I could drop off the truck at the dealer and have them open a star case and see if the radio would get replaced. But that was after the service manager called me and said he was cancelling my existing appointment because the available update would not fix my radio and I would have to wait until they came out with an update to address the issue. Said no to a new radio.
So now I am faced with waiting three more weeks for a possible update that might fix the issue, dropping the truck off and demanding they open a star case and see where that goes, or try another dealership. Me thinks try another manufacturer for my next purchase.
That said, I will update when a solution is delivered to me.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found that I have the same issue (‘19 limited) Was working fine a week or 2 ago and now it shows me 30 miles north of reality and no signal strength or gps satellite located whatsoever. Called dealer who said there is a flash fix for this. Going in next Wednesday for them to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wd

Reaction score
Following the thread. Exact same thing happening to me in my 19 with 8.4 nav.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following the thread. Exact same thing happening to me in my 19 with 8.4 nav.

Took to dealer today they verified the gps Sats are not being picked up by unit. New 12” on the way. Dealer said that ‘19s had weaker gps components than 20 and 21 models. New radio is supposed to be better than 19 version in several areas

Oldphart

Reaction score
Just picked up my 21 Longhorn 2 weeks ago. Navigation was working perfectly until last Saturday. It went stupid and was showing location about 1/4 mile from actual. SiruisXM also would not work. I stopped for gas and everything was working again when I restarted. Hope it was just a brain fart the unit had.

jabberwock

Reaction score
I have the same issue now -- it's consistently showing me 30 miles off course. I spoke to UConnect Support via the chat app and this was the advice to reset the nav:

Navigation Reset:
The most accurate way to do this is, to set up a route on the Navigation system, and along that route is pull in to a department store parking lot. You will need to stop the vehicle, and drive the vehicle in 5 tight circles counter clockwise not exceeding 15 MPH. Then park the vehicle and go shopping, whatever they may need to do. OR stop the vehicle turn it off and open the driver’s door for a minimal of 2 minutes.
--

I haven't tried the above yet but hope it works....
Seems bonkers that there is no user-accessible software reset option.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue now -- it's consistently showing me 30 miles off course. I spoke to UConnect Support via the chat app and this was the advice to reset the nav:

Navigation Reset:
The most accurate way to do this is, to set up a route on the Navigation system, and along that route is pull in to a department store parking lot. You will need to stop the vehicle, and drive the vehicle in 5 tight circles counter clockwise not exceeding 15 MPH. Then park the vehicle and go shopping, whatever they may need to do. OR stop the vehicle turn it off and open the driver’s door for a minimal of 2 minutes.
--

I haven't tried the above yet but hope it works....
Seems bonkers that there is no user-accessible software reset option.

If your radio is not showing gps signals on the gps info screen it means it’s a hardware failure. This per my dealer when they diagnosed it last week. If it’s showing signal strength then the parking lot trick will work since it recalibrated the antenna.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well shoot. Mine just started doing this. Had it almost 3 years now and yesterday discovered the GPS has no birds and zero confidence. Guess I'm off to the dealer for new hardware.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well shoot. Mine just started doing this. Had it almost 3 years now and yesterday discovered the GPS has no birds and zero confidence. Guess I'm off to the dealer for new hardware.

My dealer said they had a few in this year for that issue.

PaulB87

Reaction score
This is what I received from Uconnect regarding my 2020 Ram 3500...his spoken and written English was terrible. If this does not work, then I'm supposed go to dealer. Terrible service.

GPS reset

1) set route to the destination anywhere near 5 miles or 10 miles . After route is set, go to open parking lot for 5 anticlockwise circles to your left under 15 mph. Once you complete the circles , open driver side door for 2 minutes and shut your vehicle and radio off. After 2-3 minutes , switch open your door and radio .See if it works ok otherwise call the number
8664628837 : Map or navigation and last resort go to the dealer
EFbFnc2bqm19JtU3oQrc1ZcaK8PD3ok7e0dxk5VlmO8qIXUAo-drJLsSoxbYnPvEWWFRhhr-z_i23hfEmDIHBYDLb1YnMCMcuGinxRd4rrjtxQ29rnudasLyj3lnoXIVOyjD-r7o4J9PNnX1LYHpB6DuErugsa_V6MsFG8_FnVONBwI=s0-d-e1-ft

Users who are viewing this thread