5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Another question, do you unplug the auto box when you park? I think the USB ports stay on for like an hour after turning the truck off. I don’t want to kill my battery.
I haven't unplugged it yet. I'm pretty sure the draw is very little if that is a concern for you. I have a Limited that is opening steps, turning on lights and making compressor noises. I also got caught up in another thread on the battery so I have changed my battery out for the Interstate H8 that was highly recommended.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't unplugged it yet. I'm pretty sure the draw is very little if that is a concern for you. I have a Limited that is opening steps, turning on lights and making compressor noises. I also got caught up in another thread on the battery so I have changed my battery out for the Interstate H8 that was highly recommended.
Thanks.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
still rocking the car2 play. works good. I picked up auto box just for the heck of it. Give it a try. Updating tonight. Out of town for a few days and give it a try Mid next week see if better.
My only problem with car 2 play is it every once in a while it takes a while to connect. Not too bad and often but it has its fits. I still like it but wanted to give this a try.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
still rocking the car2 play. works good. I picked up auto box just for the heck of it. Give it a try. Updating tonight. Out of town for a few days and give it a try Mid next week see if better.
My only problem with car 2 play is it every once in a while it takes a while to connect. Not too bad and often but it has its fits. I still like it but wanted to give this a try.
I think you find the AutoBox to be a much better experience. Look forward to your thoughts.

Last edited:

Barqs

Reaction score
I think you find the AutoBox to e a much better experience. Look forward to your thoughts.
I'm also going to give the AutoBox a try based on your recommendation. My CarLinkit 3.0 has some significant lag at times using Waze, bad enough to cause me to miss my turns every now and again. It usually connects well the first time I hop in my truck, but if I stop anywhere and then get back in, I end up having to unplug it from time to time to get it to reconnect. Hoping to see some improvements in the AutoBox.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm also going to give the AutoBox a try based on your recommendation. My CarLinkit 3.0 has some significant lag at times using Waze, bad enough to cause me to miss my turns every now and again. It usually connects well the first time I hop in my truck, but if I stop anywhere and then get back in, I end up having to unplug it from time to time to get it to reconnect. Hoping to see some improvements in the AutoBox.
Let us know what you think. I have zero lag and use WAZE all the time...instant reaction time.

Joesmud1

Reaction score
Totally automatic...you do nothing but get in your truck and go.
I have had the AutoBox connected to my 2021 for about 6 months and every few days I need to unplug it and reconnect bluetooth...Do you (Or anyone else on here) have any issues like this?

Thanks...
Joe

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had the AutoBox connected to my 2021 for about 6 months and every few days I need to unplug it and reconnect bluetooth...Do you (Or anyone else on here) have any issues like this?

Thanks...
Joe
No issues. Is your phone connected to your head unit via Bluetooth? Make sure that your phone and radio are not connected at all. The phone should only be paired to your Autobox and not your radio.

Joesmud1

Reaction score
No issues. Is your phone connected to your head unit via Bluetooth? Make sure that your phone and radio are not connected at all. The phone should only be paired to your Autobox and not your radio.
Ah...ok, so not to Uconnect. I believe that the phone wants to pair to Uconnect first, so maybe that is the issue.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
anyone know what the difference is between these two auto boxes?

1666629911587.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will do. I just can't well which ones newer or better.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
I have the one to the left as well. I just returned from a trip to Orange Beach. 7 hours and 15 minutes one way actual drive time. I ran Waze and streamed iHeart radio the entire time. There and back without a single issue other than the occasional loss of signal (data coverage) but that was to be expected. My route takes me through areas of Mississippi and Alabama where there is no cell coverage. I even felt the unit a few times to see if it was getting warm to the touch and I didn't get that opinion.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the one to the left as well. I just returned from a trip to Orange Beach. 7 hours and 15 minutes one way actual drive time. I ran Waze and streamed iHeart radio the entire time. There and back without a single issue other than the occasional loss of signal (data coverage) but that was to be expected. My route takes me through areas of Mississippi and Alabama where there is no cell coverage. I even felt the unit a few times to see if it was getting warm to the touch and I didn't get that opinion.
nice! thx!

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Had the auto Box for a while. Not noticing a huge difference between this and my car 2 play. It still at time refuses to connect. Not often. Today I had to unplug it and plug back in to get it to connect. Just like the car 2 play. Other times it took like 5 min to connect. Most times it does connect right away. For the money auto box. It was less expensive. The car 2 play is easier to update. don’t notice one being better than the other on working about the same to me.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing this discussion, I thought I'd "upgrade" to the AutoBox unit from my old CPLAY2air. There was nothing inherently wrong with my old device, but I thought I might like a newer/faster option for $60.

Man, that was a mistake.

I can connect my phone to the AutoBox as designed, and I updated the software upon receipt. But my Ram never sees a CarPlay device when it's plugged in (on any port), and my iPhone 13 Pro Max never sees it on Bluetooth. It's going back to Amazon.

Maybe I just got a dud with defective Bluetooth, but it was a waste of time.

So...I just pushed a bunch of belated updates to the CPLAY2air and am hoping it will soldier on for another 4 years!

Users who are viewing this thread