5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Turn back to English. In the connecting screen there is a little globe in bottom right corner. Press it until you can read the words. Press and release it will change keep pressing and releasing until you can read the screen

gzgg99

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down. Something to do with Waze. Maybe a setting or maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall Waze. If I switch off of Waze and then back, all my speakers come back. So now a smaller hassle than rebooting. Will try reinstalling Waze next.

Thanks for the tip on changing the language.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down. Something to do with Waze. Maybe a setting or maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall Waze. If I switch off of Waze and then back, all my speakers come back. So now a smaller hassle than rebooting. Will try reinstalling Waze next.

Thanks for the tip on changing the language.
Waze always seems to crash mine, so I stick with Google or Apple Maps. If i need Waze, I have to resort to using a USB cable.

gzgg99

Reaction score
Waze always seems to crash mine, so I stick with Google or Apple Maps. If i need Waze, I have to resort to using a USB cable.
how well does Google warn for police, traffic, objects, etc? I tried Apple Maps, it drives me nuts that they put you in the middle of the screen when you're driving. I don't care what's behind me, I'd rather see further ahead. If there's a setting, I haven't found it. Google and Waze put the vehicle at the bottom so you only see what's ahead.

Herry.8

Reaction score
Today has been a good day! I received my Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Dongle - ordered from carlinkitcarplay. I plugged it in to the USB-A port in my 2020 Ram 1500, the port I usually use to connect my cable for Apple CarPlay. There were some one-time prompts on my iPhone 12 Pro and on the head unit to connect, but connect it did!

Its working and appears to perform very well with virtually no noticeable lag or lack of audio quality. The connection takes only ~ 20 seconds to complete and then it defaults to Apple CarPlay!

I scanned to QR code on the instructions that came with the Dongle to access a utility to check the firmware on the Dongle. The indication is that it’s running the latest version and there is no update available. As I’ve thus far encountered zero performance issues, I’m certainty happy to keep things as they are (if it ain’t broke,…don’t fix it)!

One interesting observation I made is this creates its own distinct CarPlay profile from my original ”wired” CarPlay profile [on iPhone 12 Pro, in Settings > General > CarPlay]. Therefore I now have two distinct CarPlay profiles, one for my “wired” and the other for my “wireless“.

Somebody who heard me describe this Dongle said it sounds like a “sex toy”. Well, in some ways getting “wireless CarPlay” is very exciting, although I’m not ab to infer that it’s on the same par as sex!

Kone

Reaction score
For some reason, my dongle is just sitting in my console, unconnected. It hung up a few weeks ago, so I unplugged it, used a cable and have stayed with the cable ever since. I just feel like overall audio quality is better and worth plugging/unplugging....will see.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
My personal opinion is nothing except that it comes with the latest firmware. They all appear to be the same. However, with that being said, the cost is so minimal, I would just order a 3.0 unit if I was buying a new one today.
I needed to revive this thread in order to give "props" to securityguy. Securityguy took time out of his day to lead me in the right decision with my wireless dongle. The cplay2air wasn't working for me. The lag and screen would just go blank. I would have to unplug the dongle and re-plug it in. This became too aggravating for me to deal with. Securityguy posted his cell phone number and returned my call. He suggested two options for me. The AutoBox and the CarLinkit 3.0. I went with the AutoBox and the difference is night and day from the cplay2air. There is very little lag and the screen hasn't blacked out once. I am cheap when it comes to phones though. I don't need the latest greatest. I have an iPhone8. Securityguy thought that might be the issue I was having with the cplay2air. Anyway, a huge thanks to Securityguy and to this forum. A picture of the unit is below. I purchased this from Amazon in case I needed to return it. I wished I had purchased the cplay2air from Amazon.

AutoBox.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I needed to revive this thread in order to give "props" to securityguy. Securityguy took time out of his day to lead me in the right decision with my wireless dongle. The cplay2air wasn't working for me. The lag and screen would just go blank. I would have to unplug the dongle and re-plug it in. This became too aggravating for me to deal with. Securityguy posted his cell phone number and returned my call. He suggested two options for me. The AutoBox and the CarLinkit 3.0. I went with the AutoBox and the difference is night and day from the cplay2air. There is very little lag and the screen hasn't blacked out once. I am cheap when it comes to phones though. I don't need the latest greatest. I have an iPhone8. Securityguy thought that might be the issue I was having with the cplay2air. Anyway, a huge thanks to Securityguy and to this forum. A picture of the unit is below. I purchased this from Amazon in case I needed to return it. I wished I had purchased the cplay2air from Amazon.

View attachment 140182
So very happy to hear that it all worked out my friend. I was happy to help and it was great talking to you. Have a terrific weekend!

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I stil have the Carlinkit 3.0 which has worked flawlessly since purchased but seems to be struggling to connect lately. I just updated the firmware this morning and will see if that resolves any issues.

Curious if anyone has updated from the 3.0 to the 4.0 and noticed any worthwhile improvements? Worth the $60 or not?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I stil have the Carlinkit 3.0 which has worked flawlessly since purchased but seems to be struggling to connect lately. I just updated the firmware this morning and will see if that resolves any issues.

Curious if anyone has updated from the 3.0 to the 4.0 and noticed any worthwhile improvements? Worth the $60 or not?
The CarLink 4.0 is the same as the 3.0 except that it now supports both CarPlay and Android Auto. If I had to recommend a unit today, it would be the AutoBox.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Get the AutoBox...you will not be disappointed my friend!
I will add this about the AutoBox compared to the cplay2air after a few days of using it. It connects quicker. There is almost no lag when using Waze which is one of the primary reasons I wanted apple carplay. I was using an old Samsung Galaxy 5 using the wire to port #2. I got tired of it losing connection with my trucks wifi along with other issues. I will add that at first I preferred the interface of Android Auto compared to Apple Carplay, but this is my opinion. As stated before I like nicer things but when it comes to phones I like the one I have because it makes phone calls and receives texts. The charge port has a short in it so I'm unable to use it dependably. I use a wireless charger at home and in the truck, problem solved, but I needed a wireless connection for my truck audio to use carplay. I use Waze all the time when traveling. The cplay2air had a noticeable lag when touching the screen for alerts or creating an alert. The position was off to along with your speed, I realize I have a speedometer, but if the distance is off and the speed is lagged then the information regarding police maybe off. The AutoBox seems to be real time or extremely close. Touching an alert on the 12" screen is acknowledge immediately. I almost chose the other choice recommended by securityguy, the CarLink 3.0, because it was priced higher and the design was so close to the cplay2air. I thought the higher price indicated quality. I liked the design due to where others were mounting theirs. Amazon Prime has a NO questions asked return policy so I had nothing to lose but time with the cheaper option. I'm glad I chose the AutoBox. I have mine sitting in the phone pocket to the right and there is plenty of room for my phone to sit to the left where the charger is. The usb cord is also longer and thicker than the cplay2air.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will add this about the AutoBox compared to the cplay2air after a few days of using it. It connects quicker. There is almost no lag when using Waze which is one of the primary reasons I wanted apple carplay. I was using an old Samsung Galaxy 5 using the wire to port #2. I got tired of it losing connection with my trucks wifi along with other issues. I will add that at first I preferred the interface of Android Auto compared to Apple Carplay, but this is my opinion. As stated before I like nicer things but when it comes to phones I like the one I have because it makes phone calls and receives texts. The charge port has a short in it so I'm unable to use it dependably. I use a wireless charger at home and in the truck, problem solved, but I needed a wireless connection for my truck audio to use carplay. I use Waze all the time when traveling. The cplay2air had a noticeable lag when touching the screen for alerts or creating an alert. The position was off to along with your speed, I realize I have a speedometer, but if the distance is off and the speed is lagged then the information regarding police maybe off. The AutoBox seems to be real time or extremely close. Touching an alert on the 12" screen is acknowledge immediately. I almost chose the other choice recommended by securityguy, the CarLink 3.0, because it was priced higher and the design was so close to the cplay2air. I thought the higher price indicated quality. I liked the design due to where others were mounting theirs. Amazon Prime has a NO questions asked return policy so I had nothing to lose but time with the cheaper option. I'm glad I chose the AutoBox. I have mine sitting in the phone pocket to the right and there is plenty of room for my phone to sit to the left where the charger is. The usb cord is also longer and thicker than the cplay2air.
Great to hear my friend. I would never steer anyone in the wrong direction.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the auto box. Does your phone automatically connect to it when you start the truck, or do you have to connect to its Bluetooth every time? I really like the price and reviews seem good about the boot time and lag.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another question, do you unplug the auto box when you park? I think the USB ports stay on for like an hour after turning the truck off. I don’t want to kill my battery.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the auto box. Does your phone automatically connect to it when you start the truck, or do you have to connect to its Bluetooth every time? I really like the price and reviews seem good about the boot time and lag.
Totally automatic...you do nothing but get in your truck and go.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
It connects every time and seems to connect faster than the cplay2air. I have not had one single issue so far. I even tried to stress it by running the Waze app and streaming iHeart radio. No issues for me. However, I listen to my music on a usb, port #1.

Users who are viewing this thread