5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Yes, we assume that all cables are the same but some are power only vs power and data!
Much simpler when the ends are physically different so good catch that a USB-C to USB-C has a specific orientation.

I ran into a similar issue recently trying to connect to some Eaton Switchgear. Every Micro USB cable on site was power only!

Stealthall

Reaction score
Update - started having issues with Carlinkit 4.0...will freeze then disconnect. returning to amazon and plugged back in the Cplay2air dongle.

It's been plugged in for over 24hrs now and so far so good...we shall see.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, so I don't really want to read through all 41 pages of this.

I'm changing from an Android phone to an iPhone 14. I want to get a wireless CarPlay adapter to work with the 12" stereo in my '21 1500.

From what reading I DID do here, it seems like there is Carlinkit 3 and 4, Cplay2Air, and AutoBox that people have been talking about. It also seems like there is no one dongle out there that everyone agrees is good?

I'm looking at an Ottocast U2-Air. Any known issues with that one? I see it on Amazon, listed twice. Once for $110 and another one that appears to be identical for $80.

Any thoughts on any of that?

Stealthall

Reaction score
Can't speak to the last one you mentioned. All I can say is the 3.0 and 4.0 would not work. I assume you know this, but the carplay does not fill the whole 12" screen, just the top half.

Give that Ottocast a shot and let us know...best case you find a new option for us, worst case you return it and try the next one.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't speak to the last one you mentioned. All I can say is the 3.0 and 4.0 would not work. I assume you know this, but the carplay does not fill the whole 12" screen, just the top half.

Give that Ottocast a shot and let us know...best case you find a new option for us, worst case you return it and try the next one.

Yep. Understand about the screen. I've been using Android Auto for a while now.

I don't even use the truck's built-in nav anymore. I have only been using Google Maps for nav. I want to be able to continue doing that after I change to an iPhone.

One thing I found interesting in using AA is that I was expecting it to only use half of the screen.

But, it sorta does use both halves. It just won't run 1 thing that fills the whole screen.

I run mine with Maps in the top half of the screen and then whatever Android Auto music app I'm using is shown in the bottom half of the screen. Most of that time, that just means SiriusXM is shown in the bottom half. But, when I'm listening to MP3s that are on my phone, I use an app called Rocket Player. The controls for that show in the bottom half of the screen when I'm using that. I mean, the bottom half is displaying the normal truck's media player, showing the source as USB. But, still, what's shown there on the bottom is controlling the playing of the Rocket player on my phone.

I'm hoping that CarPlay will work the same way. Half the screen for maps and the other half to control the music player on my phone.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the Ottocast U2 Air.

I must have really lucked out because when I ordered it last week, it was $69. Now, it's $110.

I installed it on Saturday. It has worked perfectly, so far. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that.

My iPhone connects to it and CarPlay comes up on my Uconnect quite a bit more quickly than how Android Auto came up using my previous phone and AA Wireless dongle. I generally start the truck, fasten my seat belt, shift into D, and start driving immediately. CarPlay seems to be up and running (connected to my phone) right about the same time I step on the pedal to start pulling out from where I'm parked. I haven't timed it, but maybe 10 seconds from hitting the Start button on my dash to start the truck?

Stealthall

Reaction score

I must have really lucked out because when I ordered it last week, it was $69. Now, it's $110.

I installed it on Saturday. It has worked perfectly, so far. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that.

My iPhone connects to it and CarPlay comes up on my Uconnect quite a bit more quickly than how Android Auto came up using my previous phone and AA Wireless dongle. I generally start the truck, fasten my seat belt, shift into D, and start driving immediately. CarPlay seems to be up and running (connected to my phone) right about the same time I step on the pedal to start pulling out from where I'm parked. I haven't timed it, but maybe 10 seconds from hitting the Start button on my dash to start the truck?

Awesome!

kmr1200

Reaction score
Thanks...looking for something on my 2021 1500 Limited. $69 would have been great, but $109 if it works isn't a big amount to risk (of course can return it).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks...looking for something on my 2021 1500 Limited. $69 would have been great, but $109 if it works isn't a big amount to risk (of course can return it).

My brother got one for his '20 Laramie last week. He says his is also working fine with his iPhone 12.

And - it's so weird - there is still the same thing listed on Amazon for $109 and another listing for $79.

Mine has proven to be not perfect - but still more than "good". Yesterday, I got in my truck and Uconnect displayed the CarPlay bootup screen, but would never go to the CarPlay "home" screen. I was playing a TikTok video that somebody sent me, as I got into the truck. The sound from the video switched over and played in the truck. But, after I shut off TikTok, CarPlay never came up on the Uconnect.

I unplugged the Ottocast from the USB port and plugged it back in and then everything worked.

And, honestly, I could just as easily see that being the Uconnect having a bug, rather than the Ottocast.

My truck is also a '21 Limited.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ps. I counted one-thousands the other day and it seemed like it was about 17 seconds from hitting the Start button my truck to CarPlay being up on my Uconnect screen. I had guesstimated 10 seconds earlier.

Stealthall

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have your phones bluetooth connected to your truck...I never connected mine only the Carplay dongle. It seems when I have issues is if I remote start and then get in the truck fire it up and then run back in the house quickly with my phone, I might run into a connection issue that take a minute to sort out. Other than that its been solid...Air2Play.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was setup to connect to the truck via Bluetooth before I got my CarPlay dongle. I didn't do anything to change that. I did not unpair my phone from my truck before I setup the dongle.

If my dongle dies or I unplug it for any reason, I still want my phone to work with my Uconnect, just like it did before I got the wireless CarPlay dongle.

Herry.8

Reaction score
I m using carlinkit 3.0 on my Ram 1500. Flawless so far. Super pleased! The adapter is actually incredible tiny. It's about the width of HALF a credit card. The thickness is about an iPhone depth. The USB C cable is relatively short, probably 4 inches, but it was made perfectly for the adapter.

I went to my car, then plugged in the adapter. Immediately, my Ram 1500 recognized that the adapter as a CarPlay device. The screen prompted me to connect via USB or Bluetooth to the Carlinkit adapter to get the wireless CarPlay running.

Boom. Done. That's it. I restarted my car to make sure that my the adapter would connect automatically for Wireless Carplay. It takes about 10-15 seconds to connect once the car has started. This adapter hasn't failed me yet! Having wireless CarPlay would definitely be worth it.

Please note, that even in my wife's BMW with Wireless CarPlay, there is latency with switching the music. It is not a problem with the adapter. It is NORMAL for any Wireless CarPlay connection.

If you've been wanting Wireless Apple Carplay. This is it! Give it a try. You can check their compatible list. But the seller told me if your car has wired carplay then it can be used.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I m using carlinkit 3.0 on my Ram 1500. Flawless so far. Super pleased! The adapter is actually incredible tiny. It's about the width of HALF a credit card. The thickness is about an iPhone depth. The USB C cable is relatively short, probably 4 inches, but it was made perfectly for the adapter.

I went to my car, then plugged in the adapter. Immediately, my Ram 1500 recognized that the adapter as a CarPlay device. The screen prompted me to connect via USB or Bluetooth to the Carlinkit adapter to get the wireless CarPlay running.

Boom. Done. That's it. I restarted my car to make sure that my the adapter would connect automatically for Wireless Carplay. It takes about 10-15 seconds to connect once the car has started. This adapter hasn't failed me yet! Having wireless CarPlay would definitely be worth it.

Please note, that even in my wife's BMW with Wireless CarPlay, there is latency with switching the music. It is not a problem with the adapter. It is NORMAL for any Wireless CarPlay connection.

If you've been wanting Wireless Apple Carplay. This is it! Give it a try. You can check their compatible list. But the seller told me if your car has wired carplay then it can be used.
Thanks for the review. I was wondering, since the USB ports turn on when the truck is unlocked, does this cut down the boot time for the CarPlay adapter? How about remote starting the truck, it is ready to go by the time you get in?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ps. I counted one-thousands the other day and it seemed like it was about 17 seconds from hitting the Start button my truck to CarPlay being up on my Uconnect screen. I had guesstimated 10 seconds earlier.
pps. I counted seconds again the other day when I came out of the grocery store. This time it was only 10 seconds. I think if the truck has not been turned off long enough for the USB port power to shut off, then it's quick like that. 17 seconds is when it's going from a powered-off USB port.

The question about remote starting and/or unlocking and whether that powers on the USB and makes it quicker is a good one. Ima pay attention to that the next time I go out to go somewhere.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
pps. I counted seconds again the other day when I came out of the grocery store. This time it was only 10 seconds. I think if the truck has not been turned off long enough for the USB port power to shut off, then it's quick like that. 17 seconds is when it's going from a powered-off USB port.

The question about remote starting and/or unlocking and whether that powers on the USB and makes it quicker is a good one. Ima pay attention to that the next time I go out to go somewhere.
Thank you!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck was parked for 2 or 3 days. I went out to lunch today. I remote started my truck as I was walking to it.

I counted about 20 seconds from the time it started until I got in and hit the Start button.

The Uconnect was displaying the warning screen when I hit the Start button. As soon as that went away on its own, the screen was displaying CarPlay.

After eating lunch, I again remote started as I walked to me truck. This time, when I got in, I did not hit the Start button right away. It was still about 20 seconds from when the truck started that the Uconnect warning screen went away and it was showing CarPlay.

So.... I guess doing a remote start is a good option for having CarPlay available more quickly when you get in...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck was parked for 2 or 3 days. I went out to lunch today. I remote started my truck as I was walking to it.

I counted about 20 seconds from the time it started until I got in and hit the Start button.

The Uconnect was displaying the warning screen when I hit the Start button. As soon as that went away on its own, the screen was displaying CarPlay.

After eating lunch, I again remote started as I walked to me truck. This time, when I got in, I did not hit the Start button right away. It was still about 20 seconds from when the truck started that the Uconnect warning screen went away and it was showing CarPlay.

So.... I guess doing a remote start is a good option for having CarPlay available more quickly when you get in...
That's good to know. Thanks for doing this test!

Herry.8

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I was wondering, since the USB ports turn on when the truck is unlocked, does this cut down the boot time for the CarPlay adapter? How about remote starting the truck, it is ready to go by the time you get in?
I get in the vehicle, and as soon as it boots up, my phone will automatically connect to the infotainment system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/