5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

1500DFW

Reaction score
Just as an FYI...the updates don't "fix" anything. They only give the unit the capability to connect to additional vehicles. The update will have zero impact on the RAM trucks. The CarPlay2Air does have more "issues" than the CarLink 2.0. I have both and can assure you that the CarLink 2.0, that I posted above at Amazon, is a better product and connects to your USB-C connector. The poster may have a bad unit if it keeps clicking.

I noticed Amazon has a CarLinkit 3.0 now. Any ideas on what the difference/upgrades are?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed Amazon has a CarLinkit 3.0 now. Any ideas on what the difference/upgrades are?
My personal opinion is nothing except that it comes with the latest firmware. They all appear to be the same. However, with that being said, the cost is so minimal, I would just order a 3.0 unit if I was buying a new one today.

Ram21

Reaction score
Mine sits on my desk at home. Disconnected it, the audio dropouts were so often I got frustrated with it and took it off meaning to update it, but haven’t had the desire to try.
I got mine from the website, wish I had gotten it from Amazon like 99% of the other crap I buy.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine sits on my desk at home. Disconnected it, the audio dropouts were so often I got frustrated with it and took it off meaning to update it, but haven’t had the desire to try.
I got mine from the website, wish I had gotten it from Amazon like 99% of the other crap I buy.
PM me and let's talk

Kone

Reaction score
Back to report my Carlinkit 2.0 has been constantly giving audible "click" every 10 secs or so while listening to music (almost exclusively Apple Music app). At this point I've given up and attached phone via cable and the dongle just sits there unused. Have contacted support but just got the runaround, asking for "order number from their website " but when I tell them I bought from Amazon and give order # they go silent. I really liked the thing but the audio performance (and "support") is a bummer, for me.

Connected it again yesterday (I have/did updated it several times) and listened closely to some music and what I described as a "click" is really a momentary drop-out rather than an extraneous sound. As I wrote previously, I listen through Apple Music almost exclusively but today will try Spotify and see if there's any change.

Barqs

Reaction score
My CarLinkIt2.0 started to get a hardware WiFi fail message about 35 days after I received it. I was going to return it but the return window in Amazon had closed. So after doing a bit of Google research I tried to reload the software. It started working again for about a day, then dropped out hard. It was spotty when it worked, so once I saw the same failure again I pulled it out and dropped it in the box. Went to contact the manufacturer but all they provided was a link for a WhatsApp chat, which I don't use. So I tossed it out when I cleaned my office out last weekend. Wasted $100 IMO.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My CarLinkIt2.0 started to get a hardware WiFi fail message about 35 days after I received it. I was going to return it but the return window in Amazon had closed. So after doing a bit of Google research I tried to reload the software. It started working again for about a day, then dropped out hard. It was spotty when it worked, so once I saw the same failure again I pulled it out and dropped it in the box. Went to contact the manufacturer but all they provided was a link for a WhatsApp chat, which I don't use. So I tossed it out when I cleaned my office out last weekend. Wasted $100 IMO.
You do know that all you had to do was order another one off Amazon and, when it arrived, put the old one in the box and send it back ;)

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I have had the car2play for 6 or 8 months worked great. Every once in a while the music skips. Ya just like an old record. I have had my screen freeze up once. unplug and plug fixed. Love this thin

Kone

Reaction score
PM me and I'll share an option for you that will get you a replacement unit.
I got a replacement 😉 and the new one does much better. I still get a periodic audible click or blank but it's not near as often and so far completely tolerable and worth it to have the overall wireless functionality.

Also, it seems to do better in the right set of ports vs the left. I'm connected via usb c to usb c cable.

Attachments

• 0CDD034A-CE3E-4B51-A362-8766061BE9FC.jpeg
    0CDD034A-CE3E-4B51-A362-8766061BE9FC.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 77

HMC8403

Reaction score
I had the Car2Play for 2 months, no issues. Gave it to a friend who was going on a road trip and ordered a Carlinkit v3.0 as a replacement. Fingers crossed that its just a good.

As a side-note, doesn't anyone know anything about the Carlinkit Mini? Cant tell if it is newer or better than the v3.0.

Barqs

Reaction score
I got a replacement 😉 and the new one does much better. I still get a periodic audible click or blank but it's not near as often and so far completely tolerable and worth it to have the overall wireless functionality.

Also, it seems to do better in the right set of ports vs the left. I'm connected via usb c to usb c cable.
Do you notice any performance difference with the USB-C to USB-C connection? I may have one of those cables sitting around somewhere to try and use if it helps. I'm going to try one out again as I do appreciate not having to pull my phone out of my pocket whenever I want to use CarPlay on a quick trip. I caught one on a Lightning Deal on Amazon this week.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you notice any performance difference with the USB-C to USB-C connection? I may have one of those cables sitting around somewhere to try and use if it helps. I'm going to try one out again as I do appreciate not having to pull my phone out of my pocket whenever I want to use CarPlay on a quick trip. I caught one on a Lightning Deal on Amazon this week.
Personally, I have tried both connections and see no difference in quality. I am very happy with the two I purchased...zero issues.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Do any of these adapters make the CarPlay full screen for 12" UConnect 4 systems (2019 - 2020) ?

gzgg99

Reaction score
anyone have an issue with Car2Play suddenly only playing through 1 speaker? I have to constantly unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. Anyway to reset its connections and start from scratch? See if that fixes it? My screen is in Chinese so I can't figure out what any of the buttons do.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
anyone have an issue with Car2Play suddenly only playing through 1 speaker? I have to constantly unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. Anyway to reset its connections and start from scratch? See if that fixes it? My screen is in Chinese so I can't figure out what any of the buttons do.
Nope. There is an easy way to turn it back to English. I will have to look at it in tomorrow See if I can figure it out again. Have u tried updating it

gzgg99

Reaction score
Nope. There is an easy way to turn it back to English. I will have to look at it in tomorrow See if I can figure it out again. Have u tried updating it
Says it’s up to date. Assuming my Uconnect is up to date and my iPhone is running latest iOS. Sound is only coming out of the passenger door speaker. Volume control does nothing.

gzgg99

Reaction score
Could it be the USB hub in the truck???
I don't believe so. I have my phone hard wired to the same USB port for now and have never had the issue. I may just buy the CarLinkit. I have that in my wife's SUV and we don't seem to have any issues....and it's in English :)

Users who are viewing this thread