5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but when using the wireless dongle, your phone does not charge? Seems to me like a major annoyance.

NonToxic628

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but when using the wireless dongle, your phone does not charge? Seems to me like a major annoyance.
I have the wireless charging pad in the truck. I bought the CarPlay dongle because looking back on the purchase of the truck, it seemed stupid that I paid for the wireless charging feature when I had to have my phone plugged in anyways in order to use CarPlay.

Kone

Reaction score

Correct, no charging like it does with the cable. I absolutely love my Carlinkit2.0, great use of ~$100 in my book. I now have CarPlay on ~99% of the time with dongle vs ~20% with cable which makes a better user experience overall - for me.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I velcroed a charging pad where the phone holder is. Plug into usb c. My car2play plugs into usb. Works great get charging and apple play no plug in.

brdima

Reaction score
I velcroed a charging pad where the phone holder is. Plug into usb c. My car2play plugs into usb. Works great get charging and apple play no plug in.
can you share a picture? i'm trying to find a good way to charge wirelessly while using car2play

Ram21

Reaction score
I've been very disappointed in this Carlinkit2.0. The other day I had so many dropouts I nearly threw it out the window. Anyone have any idea why or what I could check? Carplay works well, connects fine and doesn't lose connection, but playing music is another thing. There are always dropouts, but on some days its so bad its intolerable. Unplugging it and using phones bluetooth works fine though. Iphone 12 Pro Max.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with the Motor-Media car play? I saw this on a Facebook 5th gen page.

Last edited:

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Here it is. Real simple and not expensive. Does the job usb c is for charger usb is for my car 2play love this set up works great Did not use carplay much esp short trips pluging in just not worth it . 97C81BB9-12E0-4BE6-A6D5-7EFC257FE3C5.jpeg 10C132A8-A0DB-4850-8BCA-019604CAA876.jpeg

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is interesting. Wondering if this would work with our trucks, or if anyone has tried it.
If it does work, it would be a pretty useful mod, specially on trucks with wireless charging pad.

Cheers,
Bought mine today.

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I've been very disappointed in this Carlinkit2.0. The other day I had so many dropouts I nearly threw it out the window. Anyone have any idea why or what I could check? Carplay works well, connects fine and doesn't lose connection, but playing music is another thing. There are always dropouts, but on some days its so bad its intolerable. Unplugging it and using phones bluetooth works fine though. Iphone 12 Pro Max.
Same phone but so far has worked flawlessly

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same phone also.
Mine has been completely flawless.
I’ve had a few times where CarPlay never launched, but a restart of the truck corrected it. I’m guessing this is one of those “order of operations” issues that can trouble our trucks, e.g. putting it in reverse quickly after starting and thus taking over the screen with surround view while the dongle is attempting to connect *may* interrupt the sequence.

Once connected, it operates beautifully. Every day. Same phone.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had a few times where CarPlay never launched, but a restart of the truck corrected it. I’m guessing this is one of those “order of operations” issues that can trouble our trucks, e.g. putting it in reverse quickly after starting and thus taking over the screen with surround view while the dongle is attempting to connect *may* interrupt the sequence.

Once connected, it operates beautifully. Every day. Same phone.
Do you ever remote start?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of questions.
1. Does the dongle draw any power from vehicle battery when sitting idol?
2. Does the dongle rapidly drain iPhone battery when in use?
Thanks!
1. Not that I’ve noticed.
2. Surprisingly, not really. But if you’re running navigation all the time, or streaming heavily…sure. Granted, my iPhone 12 Pro Max has the largest battery in the history of the iPhone…

gwatt86

Reaction score
Just got mine today and seems pretty awesome so far.

Two question:
1. How long does the USB port get power after the truck is turned off? I thought I saw for 1 hour but if it always has power, I may want to unplug.
2. For those that have a 2019 with the CD player, any creative solutions for mounting it so its out of the way? I'm thinking some velcro to the underside of where the brake controller is (if I had one). This gets it up out of the way and covers the annoying blinking green light.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got mine today and seems pretty awesome so far.

Two question:
1. How long does the USB port get power after the truck is turned off? I thought I saw for 1 hour but if it always has power, I may want to unplug.
2. For those that have a 2019 with the CD player, any creative solutions for mounting it so its out of the way? I'm thinking some velcro to the underside of where the brake controller is (if I had one). This gets it up out of the way and covers the annoying blinking green light.
Mine’s always plugged in. No issues there.

My CPLAY2air dongle is tucked in between the phone shelf and console inner panel, just below and to the right of the USB ports (as described/pictured in earlier posts). You wouldn’t even see it there without shining a light on it.

rtm03862iq

Reaction score
Bought the Carlinkit 2.0 for my '21 Ram and it won't set-up at all. Plug the unit in the USB, the red light comes on but nothing happens. No pairing menu, or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread