5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

gwatt86

Reaction score
Bought the Carlinkit 2.0 for my '21 Ram and it won't set-up at all. Plug the unit in the USB, the red light comes on but nothing happens. No pairing menu, or anything.
When you go to Bluetooth on your phone, do you see a new device to pair with? You’ll have to click it to pair to your phone before anything will happen. It’s red when your phone isnt connected and then will turn green when it connects.

rtm03862iq

Reaction score
When you go to Bluetooth on your phone, do you see a new device to pair with? You’ll have to click it to pair to your phone before anything will happen. It’s red when your phone isnt connected and then will turn green when it connects.
Yeah it's not showing up in my bluetooth menu

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Did you totally disconnect your phone from your car radio? Deleted it completel.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
8EB5E495-7FAC-4E71-8038-A7D904399BE7.jpeg
I installed mine on Friday and so far it’s worked great. It connects most of the time before I even realize it and I can tuck the cord under that charging lip and it stays nicely out of the way.

gwatt86

Reaction score
So I've had mine for a few days now and for some reason, the steering wheel button to change songs is not working with the dongle. If I'm on FM/AM/XM, it works just fine. I tried unplugging the dongle and back in but still won't pick up the button.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Mine has done this once or twice but unplugging it and plugging back in has fixed it. Do you have the newest update?

gleek

Reaction score
I looked on amazon and found 8+ versions of it (from different sellers too) Which ones are people using recently that work the best?

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I looked on amazon and found 8+ versions of it (from different sellers too) Which ones are people using recently that work the best?

CarlinKit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars (Model Year: 2019 to 2020), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay​

It works great for me and is $100 right now with coupon

Kone

Reaction score
Back to report my Carlinkit 2.0 has been constantly giving audible "click" every 10 secs or so while listening to music (almost exclusively Apple Music app). At this point I've given up and attached phone via cable and the dongle just sits there unused. Have contacted support but just got the runaround, asking for "order number from their website " but when I tell them I bought from Amazon and give order # they go silent. I really liked the thing but the audio performance (and "support") is a bummer, for me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is the one you want:

NorcalMike

Reaction score
Back to report my Carlinkit 2.0 has been constantly giving audible "click" every 10 secs or so while listening to music (almost exclusively Apple Music app). At this point I've given up and attached phone via cable and the dongle just sits there unused. Have contacted support but just got the runaround, asking for "order number from their website " but when I tell them I bought from Amazon and give order # they go silent. I really liked the thing but the audio performance (and "support") is a bummer, for me.
Did you update it? The instruction booklet tells you how. And I read this on one of the reviews. Mine works flawlessly.

4.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
READ THIS! Set up required
Reviewed in the United States on March 21, 2021
Style: for cars from 2021

It works perfectly on a 2021 Mazda CX5, but it took me 2 hours to figure out. First off, don't read the instructions. They claim you plug it in, and then connect to bluetooth, and you're all set. But that's not it at all. It doesn't even transmit a bluetooth signal until you've updated the firmware on the box. So here's what you need to do: Plug it into your car's USB port which you use with wired CarPlay. Wait approximately 30 seconds, then on your phone connect to the wifi transmission labeled "VOLKSWAGN" or something very close to that. I don't know why it's called that, but that connects you to your Carlinkit. The password to join is 12345678. After you're connected, browse to IP address 192.168.50.2, which takes you to the configuration page for your Carlinkit. On that page, it'll say that your Carlinkit is up to date, but it isn't. Click the "Check for update" button, and then you'll see that there's a newer version available. Install the update and wait for the page to tell you it's done updating. At this point, you may lose the "VOLKSWAGN" WIFI connection because the update reset the WIFI transmission name from "VOLKSWAGN" to "Auto box" or something similar to that. After you've re-established a connection to the new "Auto box" WIFI signal, browse to IP address 192.168.50.2 again. Again, it'll tell you that your Carlinkit is up to date, but it probably isn't. Click the "Check for update" button, and then you'll see that there's a newer version available AGAIN. Install the update and wait for the page to tell you it's done updating. Repeat the cycle of update, refresh page, update, refresh page, until it tells you that there's no more updates when you click "Check for updates." When you reach that point you should be ready to rock. When you plug in your Carlinkit to your car's USB port that you use for CarPlay, you will see an different screen that gives you directions to connect your iPhone. Now finally the Carlinkit transmits a bluetooth signal that you can pair with. Go ahead and pair it, and on your phone it'll ask you to confirm if you want to pair it. For some reason, after it's paired via Bluetooth, it'll unpair itself and then continue to use the WiFi connection. That's it! You're all set up. Next time you start your car your iPhone will automatically reconnect. I give this thing

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you update it? The instruction booklet tells you how. And I read this on one of the reviews. Mine works flawlessly.

4.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
READ THIS! Set up required
Reviewed in the United States on March 21, 2021
Style: for cars from 2021

It works perfectly on a 2021 Mazda CX5, but it took me 2 hours to figure out. First off, don't read the instructions. They claim you plug it in, and then connect to bluetooth, and you're all set. But that's not it at all. It doesn't even transmit a bluetooth signal until you've updated the firmware on the box. So here's what you need to do: Plug it into your car's USB port which you use with wired CarPlay. Wait approximately 30 seconds, then on your phone connect to the wifi transmission labeled "VOLKSWAGN" or something very close to that. I don't know why it's called that, but that connects you to your Carlinkit. The password to join is 12345678. After you're connected, browse to IP address 192.168.50.2, which takes you to the configuration page for your Carlinkit. On that page, it'll say that your Carlinkit is up to date, but it isn't. Click the "Check for update" button, and then you'll see that there's a newer version available. Install the update and wait for the page to tell you it's done updating. At this point, you may lose the "VOLKSWAGN" WIFI connection because the update reset the WIFI transmission name from "VOLKSWAGN" to "Auto box" or something similar to that. After you've re-established a connection to the new "Auto box" WIFI signal, browse to IP address 192.168.50.2 again. Again, it'll tell you that your Carlinkit is up to date, but it probably isn't. Click the "Check for update" button, and then you'll see that there's a newer version available AGAIN. Install the update and wait for the page to tell you it's done updating. Repeat the cycle of update, refresh page, update, refresh page, until it tells you that there's no more updates when you click "Check for updates." When you reach that point you should be ready to rock. When you plug in your Carlinkit to your car's USB port that you use for CarPlay, you will see an different screen that gives you directions to connect your iPhone. Now finally the Carlinkit transmits a bluetooth signal that you can pair with. Go ahead and pair it, and on your phone it'll ask you to confirm if you want to pair it. For some reason, after it's paired via Bluetooth, it'll unpair itself and then continue to use the WiFi connection. That's it! You're all set up. Next time you start your car your iPhone will automatically reconnect. I give this thing
Just as an FYI...the updates don't "fix" anything. They only give the unit the capability to connect to additional vehicles. The update will have zero impact on the RAM trucks. The CarPlay2Air does have more "issues" than the CarLink 2.0. I have both and can assure you that the CarLink 2.0, that I posted above at Amazon, is a better product and connects to your USB-C connector. The poster may have a bad unit if it keeps clicking.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
PM me and I'll share an option for you that will get you a replacement unit.

Users who are viewing this thread