5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

mbearden

Reaction score
I agree with SpeedyV...my issues do seem to happen when I’ve used the device for longer periods of time. The device feels warm when I’ve used it for longer periods. I’ve also noticed that connectivity issues happen more frequently on hot days after my truck has been parked in the sun. Maybe the connectivity problems are heat related.

gilla81

Reaction score
CarPlay integrates Waze into the dashboard.

56cdd0df6de973f67dbb38aebe1eb25b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you set up Waze to be used in Carplay?

cnorris94

Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before. What are y’alls load times like? Mine takes longer than I’d like. Not horrible but maybe 10-20 seconds. I updated the software. Any way to make it load faster?

I’m new to forums so I apologize if I’m doing this wrong. 😂 I’ve found that “forgetting” the uConnect Bluetooth connection (for non CarPlay Bluetooth streaming/phone pairing) from my phone made the CarPlay connection load much faster.. within about 10 seconds. So keep the CarPlay dongle Bluetooth connection in your settings but delete the uConnect one that you may have setup when you got your vehicle. I’m on a ‘19 Jeep GC so it may be a bit different?

cnorris94

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that your phone randomly connects to the Bluetooth profile for the CarPlay2air dongle about 45 minutes after your vehicle has been turned off? If I’m home, my phone will randomly pair to the dongle via Bluetooth, disabling my home wifi in an attempt to connect to the wireless CarPlay?!
I’ve read countless forums and have found nothing except that the USB ports stay on for an hour after the car is turned off...?

gilla81

Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Looking forward to trying it out. Is there a software update or something I need to do right out of the box to get it to work best? Thanks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Looking forward to trying it out. Is there a software update or something I need to do right out of the box to get it to work best? Thanks.
Yes, and it should come with basic instructions on how to do that.

BlckDT

Reaction score
How do you set up Waze to be used in Carplay?

It’s automatically available as long as you have the Waze app on your phone. You can also customize which apps show up on CarPlay from your phone settings. If you have an iPhone it’s under:
Settings —> General —> CarPlay —> CarPlay connection name —> Customize

You can adjust which apps are shown and in what order. As long as Waze is selected it’ll show up.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It’s automatically available as long as you have the Waze app on your phone. You can also customize which apps show up on CarPlay from your phone settings. If you have an iPhone it’s under:
Settings —> General —> CarPlay —> CarPlay connection name —> Customize

You can adjust which apps are shown and in what order. As long as Waze is selected it’ll show up.

Spot on.

gilla81

Reaction score
Where do you guys plug the dongle in and how do you conceal it? I tried the usb in the top part of the center armrest but it didn’t seem to recognize it on the infotainment screen. I plugged it in one of the USB’s underneath the screen and tucked it in the little storage compartment. The cord is short though. It barely made it. Can I use a longer cord and plug it into the USB port on the CarPlay dongle? Does anyone know if that will work? Thanks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you guys plug the dongle in and how do you conceal it? I tried the usb in the top part of the center armrest but it didn’t seem to recognize it on the infotainment screen. I plugged it in one of the USB’s underneath the screen and tucked it in the little storage compartment. The cord is short though. It barely made it. Can I use a longer cord and plug it into the USB port on the CarPlay dongle? Does anyone know if that will work? Thanks.
Based on advice from others here, I tucked mine in (friction fit) just to the right of the phone tray. Fits perfectly!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you share a pic please?
I'm sure I am not the first person to do this, but here are a couple of pics.

Console open:
IMG_0205.JPG

Console closed:
IMG_0204.JPG

I'm sure even @Neurobit would find this to be a "clutter-free" solution ;) And it keeps it out of the way of everything I might place on the wireless charger or in the bottom of the console.

Utemachine

Reaction score
I mentioned to my wife I wanted a device that wirelessly connects CarPlay. I never mentioned a brand and she ended up buying this one for me. It works really good. I’ve noticed the occasional buffer if you will, for a split second. Other than that I can’t believe how good it works.
Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen/Ford SYNC3.4, Online Upgrade, iOS 14, Convert Wired to Wireless carplay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08767RQDB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_pUI7FbVP51P6H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Venom700

Reaction score
Will these work in the USB-C ports if using an adapter? If so, might speed them up slightly.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I returned my unit for an exchange then they shipped my unit back to my old address instead of my current address and now I’ve been without my unit for months and it’s lost somewhere in the mail. Then I asked them about insurance on the missing package and they pretty much told me I have to take it up with USPS even though I paid almost $60 dollars to ship my defective unit back to them with tracking and insurance and they didn’t put insurance on mine being mailed back to me. So in all I’m out of the original cost plus an extra 60 and don’t have any clue if I will ever see the janky unit again.

Users who are viewing this thread