5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And the cherry on top is that the ram charger now works flawlessly. When I used the dongle the charger would usually start flashing red after a few minutes Now it stays Bluetooth blue the whole time the phone is in the slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the cherry on top is that the ram charger now works flawlessly. When I used the dongle the charger would usually start flashing red after a few minutes Now it stays Bluetooth blue the whole time the phone is in the slot.

Just be sure to pull the phone off that charger once in a while. If you're continually using an app like Google Maps, that baby will get HOT.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I sent mine back since it never quite acted right. I’ll see if the replacement they send does me any better. I’m thinking I may get it by thanksgiving if I am lucky....

familyman

Reaction score
I have loved mine for the past couple months. First one froze all the time. So far seamless with the second adapter. I have never had to unplug it. Every once in a while it will load up a black screen where carpal would be, I just hit any button on the bottom screen (phone, controls...etc) and then carplay and it shows up perfectly.

I liked it enough that I bought a dongle for my wife's escalade. I should have searched their forums as no one has been able to get one to work. Sooooo, lets just say that I procrastinated to trying assuming it would work and now its been 18 days (15 day return policy). I thought of keeping it as a back up, but then thought heck, I could just offer it up here. PM me if interested....figure $75 shipped. I can send the receipt as well in case whoever buys it even needs to exchange it.

Guess I should stay forum legal and put this on the for sale portion of the forum.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I wrote to CarPlay2Air on their Website. "Contact us"
They sent me some instructions, I followed them, I didn't see anything visibly happening. Afterwards I went back to my truck went to their website and redid their update. Enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser and click “Go.” Tt used to get stuck at 90%. This time it zipped right through. It seems to be working really well thus far.

"There is no option to reset.
Try updating it using the USB flashdrive.
Please save this firmware directly to a USB flash drive.
Video guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1akjOcSqQE3Uf8dfrO8n0JFlvPhzsC_Tc/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately this website will not allow me to attach the attachment.

Reactions: Rau

techno96

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on updating?

I got mine from someone else who bought it a few months ago and never used it. It's on 2020.08.10.2151.

Seems to be working fine other than a small delay in audio on phone calls. The other person doesn't really hear me talk until about 2 seconds after I speak.

Should I even update it if it's working well? It seems to say its on the latest, but it seems like you guys have said you already got updates past this.

Rau

Reaction score
Can someone make a video and show how bad the delay is? I am thinking to buy one, but not 100% sure if it worth the money.

MacDuff

Reaction score
I bought this unit on Amazon and it's acutally functioned just about perfectly. Very happy with purchase. Not cheap at $129 but it works and I'm happy with the purchase because... it actually works.
Takes a moment to initialize, after that no noticeable lag.

Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen/Ford SYNC3, Online Upgrade, iOS 13, USB Type A/C Convert Wired to Wireless carplay​

Reactions: Rau

techno96

Reaction score
I bought this unit on Amazon and it's acutally functioned just about perfectly. Very happy with purchase. Not cheap at $129 but it works and I'm happy with the purchase because... it actually works.

Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen/Ford SYNC3, Online Upgrade, iOS 13, USB Type A/C Convert Wired to Wireless carplay​

I don't have lag either, but there is a slight delay in audio on phone calls. maybe 1.5s after I say something, the other person hears me.

I doubt that one would make any difference given they run the same firmware but I could be wrong. Theres certainly no visual lag.

MacDuff

Reaction score
I don't have lag either, but there is a slight delay in audio on phone calls. maybe 1.5s after I say something, the other person hears me.

I doubt that one would make any difference given they run the same firmware but I could be wrong. Theres certainly no visual lag.
Fortunatley, I've been good to go even on phone calls. Actually have to give this one high marks.

techno96

Reaction score
Fortunatley, I've been good to go even on phone calls. Actually have to give this one high marks.
its not necessarily an issue, the phone call still feels normal, but there is a slight audio delay. What firmware version are you running?

1500DFW

Reaction score

Which of the 3 versions did you buy?

MacDuff

Reaction score
Which of the 3 versions did you buy?

I bought the Volkswagen compatible version "
Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen/Ford SYNC3, Online Upgrade, iOS 13, USB Type A/C Convert Wired to Wireless carplay"
Sold by: Carlinke (seller profile)

Last edited:

MacDuff

Reaction score
its not necessarily an issue, the phone call still feels normal, but there is a slight audio delay. What firmware version are you running?
Not sure, I just plugged in the unit without updating as some users reported problems after completing updates. Since it worked, I left it alone.

Rau

Reaction score
I bought the Volkswagen/Volvo compatible version

There is one for VW and separate one for Volvo. Was there another one compatible with both
5ab0ec69b469d81365e677e8377d51d1.jpg

?

MacDuff

Reaction score
There is one for VW and separate one for Volvo. Was there another one compatible with both
5ab0ec69b469d81365e677e8377d51d1.jpg

?

Sorry for any confusion,I purchased the Vollkswagen version. Here is the exact verbiage from the unit I purchased, see below:

Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen/Ford SYNC3, Online Upgrade, iOS 13, USB Type A/C Convert Wired to Wireless carplay
Sold by: Carlinke (seller profile)

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Everything was going good my my wireless dongle 2play unit. The week before last all nonsense returned, blue screen, frozen screen, black screen, I had enough already. I decided I was done with this unit, not worth the intermittent aggravation. I decided to go with the Proclips unit for Ram. It holds my iPhone in a perfect way. I just got a 12 MaxPro and it will not charge in the Ram charger. My 11MaxPro charged fine. I watched a great video and I saw how simple it is to take the rubber tray out of the top of your 12" and remove the two screws. Pull forward with your hand on the tray area and the entire screen top to bottom will move away fiving you plenty of room the tuck your wire. ( I used a quality black wire from Anker) When I tucked my iPhone wire, I just pressed and snapped the screen frame back in and replaced the two screws on top. It all took less that 5 minutes to do. What a professional looking job. The clip just snaps on with no damage whatsoever. I took some pictures. and I'll give a link to videos so you can see how easy it is to install. I have the limited and there is plenty of room around the aluminum bezel at the top. No include gap opener was needed. I brought my wire all the way up to the Proclip and zip-tied it to the back ball joint. Its not even visible, except where you plug it into the phone.
I needed another way to use my phone and charge it. I love having it at eye level too. Also, Amazon Alexa for car is added to the Alexa app, I have Amazon Music Unlimited and I just tap and tell Alexa to play what ever music I want to hear. Trying to do this while my last iPhone was "down below" the in the cradle was very dangerous. I found lots of good benefits to have my phone eyelevel.

I used this video for my inspiration:

Unfortunately, I didn't get a 20% discount. ProClio USA sent me this thus morning. Always after the fact.
If someone is interested SAVE! :cool:

Black Friday Sale 20% OFF, All iPhone holders are 20% OFF, including the new iPhone 12 series! Buy now to reserve your 20% Black Friday sitewide discount.

Save 20% with code FRIDAY20. Sale ends 11/30/2020 at 11:59 PM CST!

I don't miss my wireless dongle, I still have to get my IPhone charged and use my Carplay. This accomplished it all in one.

Attachments

• 5thG.jpg
    5thG.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 66
  • 5thGe.jpg
    5thGe.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 66
  • 5thGen.jpg
    5thGen.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 12MP.jpg
    12MP.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish it were quicker to connect. It can take 15 seconds, but it took well over 60 seconds today. It's very much hit-or-miss in that regard. This may be due to my impatience; I'm no longer willing to wait to put the truck in gear until it has connected. I also have a very strong WiFi signal at home, so it's competing against my routers until I'm a block away.

On the plus side, the latest firmware update seems to have corrected the "take over my surround-view screen" issue, so I haven't returned it. It works great once it's up and running...including on the wireless charger.
I posted the comment above back in July. I decided not to attempt the return of my CARPLAY2air at that time, as it was such a hassle to get one (COVID delays) in the first place.

As it turns out, it’s been working just fine all this time (after doing some resetting). I’ve seen the occasional glitch where Google Maps just shows a gray screen, but a quick switch between apps resolves it.

I received an email this week about the recently-released firmware update, and I was able to install it today without issue. So far, so good...I’m looking forward to an extended test on a road trip this weekend!

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted the comment above back in July. I decided not to attempt the return of my CARPLAY2air at that time, as it was such a hassle to get one (COVID delays) in the first place.

As it turns out, it’s been working just fine all this time (after doing some resetting). I’ve seen the occasional glitch where Google Maps just shows a gray screen, but a quick switch between apps resolves it.

I received an email this week about the recently-released firmware update, and I was able to install it today without issue. So far, so good...I’m looking forward to an extended test on a road trip this weekend!
Curious if there is still a delay?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious if there is still a delay?
The only delay I experience is at startup. It takes some time for the system to boot. I’ve learned to ignore it until I’ve backed out of the garage onto the street.

I haven’t taken enough calls or performed enough other functions to notice any delays in operation. I’m using CarPlay for Google Maps 90% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread