5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
BLACK FRIDAY sale is now live at our online store! This year we decided to go BIG and make an irresistible offer. This is it: for the next 2 days, CPLAY2air is just $99 + FREE SHIPPING!

Share it with your friends and family! The offer is valid for the next 2 days only!

Have a great weekend!

Michael,
CPLAY2air.COM

BobK

Reaction score
I do not own this, but the main reason CarPlay and Android Auto requires a physical connection and was not made to be wireless was simple - bandwidth. They simply could not get enough data through a wireless connection to make it work as smoothly as they wanted. They would have certainly preferred wireless knowing that is what people wanted but it was not working well enough to make it a good experience and had no choice. Bluetooth has data speed limitations that made it too unstable and slow. So this device is just tricking the car connection into thinking its still a wired connection and then using bluetooth anyway, which then is going to give that slower - not so good connection. There are many devices like this on amazon. Most cheap Chinese knock off's. But I would bet none of them are going to give a good experience. If this worked well, they would have done this in the first place.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not own this, but the main reason CarPlay and Android Auto requires a physical connection and was not made to be wireless was simple - bandwidth. They simply could not get enough data through a wireless connection to make it work as smoothly as they wanted. They would have certainly preferred wireless knowing that is what people wanted but it was not working well enough to make it a good experience and had no choice. Bluetooth has data speed limitations that made it too unstable and slow. So this device is just tricking the car connection into thinking its still a wired connection and then using bluetooth anyway, which then is going to give that slower - not so good connection. There are many devices like this on amazon. Most cheap Chinese knock off's. But I would bet none of them are going to give a good experience. If this worked well, they would have done this in the first place.
You are WRONG Sir! It uses the BT connection at launch to sync to the Head Unit and then converts over to Wi-Fi for the bandwidth. No different than the units that have built-in Wireless CarPlay in several new vehicles. I have this unit and there is ZERO lag and it's still very fast...no different than the wired connection. You may wish to do a bit more research ;) Please don't knock it until you have experienced one and now is the time at $99 to give it a go!

techno96

Reaction score
That's not true at all.

It was already explained, but the connection happens over WiFi, not BT.

Also, other brands (notably BMW, which I came from and found myself missing this feature greatly), already have factory wireless CarPlay.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's not true at all.

It was already explained, but the connection happens over WiFi, not BT.

Also, other brands (notably BMW, which I came from and found myself missing this feature greatly), already have factory wireless CarPlay.
^^^ This ^^^
Initial handshake via BT, and then WiFi for the data transmission.
Chevrolet/GMC, Audi, Ford, and others are all transitioning to wireless CarPlay on their 2021 models (as well as Chrysler BTW. The new Pacifica has it with UConnec5).

BobK

Reaction score
I wasn't knocking it. I said I dont own it and I was saying WHY they didn't make Carplay and AA originally use Bluetooth. If its using WiFi then that is a much faster protocol and can certainly have the bandwidth to communicate with the speed needed to be smooth.
So if your in your driveway and you start your vehicle you have to then tell your phone to switch WiFi networks over to this device manually? For example, if your connected to your home's WiFi and another WiFi network becomes available (this device), your phone will not suddenly decide to switch to that WiFi network unless it looses the signal to your home's WiFi like if you drive out of range of it, which would be fine, but there would be that delay. Just wondering how that would work.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wasn't knocking it. I said I dont own it and I was saying WHY they didn't make Carplay and AA originally use Bluetooth. If its using WiFi then that is a much faster protocol and can certainly have the bandwidth to communicate with the speed needed to be smooth.
So if your in your driveway and you start your vehicle you have to then tell your phone to switch WiFi networks over to this device manually? For example, if your connected to your home's WiFi and another WiFi network becomes available (this device), your phone will not suddenly decide to switch to that WiFi network unless it looses the signal to your home's WiFi like if you drive out of range of it, which would be fine, but there would be that delay. Just wondering how that would work.
It’s all automatic and connects to your head unit in about 15 seconds without doing a thing

techno96

Reaction score
The bluetooth initial handshake makes your iPhone drop whatever wifi its connected to and connect to the appropriate CarPlay wifi network.

Like I said, wireless CarPlay is something apple supports officially from many manufactures, this implementation may not be perfect, but its not tricking the phone into doing something it normally couldn't or wouldn't do.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before. What are y’alls load times like? Mine takes longer than I’d like. Not horrible but maybe 10-20 seconds. I updated the software. Any way to make it load faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before. What are y’alls load times like? Mine takes longer than I’d like. Not horrible but maybe 10-20 seconds. I updated the software. Any way to make it load faster?

Nope...a normal load time is 15-20 seconds. No update will ever fix that. Get used to it...it's no big deal.

mbearden

Reaction score
I've had a C2PlayAir for several months. It worked great for a couple of months. But then I began having problems with connectivity. My phone would connect wireless but then drop the connect. Connectivity because horrible. I still have the device but I don't use it frequently. I don't if the problems are iPhone related or C2PlayAir related. I have an iPhone 11 Pro running the latest version of iOS.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've had a C2PlayAir for several months. It worked great for a couple of months. But then I began having problems with connectivity. My phone would connect wireless but then drop the connect. Connectivity because horrible. I still have the device but I don't use it frequently. I don't if the problems are iPhone related or C2PlayAir related. I have an iPhone 11 Pro running the latest version of iOS.
Have you unplugged it from your USB...let it sit for 30-seconds and then replug it in? I would also disconnect the BT from your phone and then reconnect. I had an iPhone XSMax with zero issues for almost a year. I now have an iPhone 12 Pro MAX and have zero issues. With all of the unit upgrades, do what I said above and see if that helps. You should not be having connectivity or latency issues at all.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve found that mine will randomly drop and refuse to reconnect after a couple of hours (only seen on road trips). I have to physically wake the phone and reset the connection and/or restart the device (or restart the truck, e.g. after a fuel stop) before it will reconnect. It’s not happened frequently enough for me to debug.

This almost never happens on shorter trips, but I suppose I’d just restart the device. It’s quite sensitive in the USB port, so sometimes you can disconnect/reconnect the dongle without even removing it...

Rau

Reaction score
Can these devices support two iPhones for CarPlay? I often drive my wife’s truck if I buy it I want to be able to use it.

BlckDT

Reaction score
CarPlay integrates Waze into the dashboard.

56cdd0df6de973f67dbb38aebe1eb25b.jpg

Utemachine

Reaction score
Im about to order this. Bummed I missed the $99 deal. Is the audio quality as good as wired?

Users who are viewing this thread