5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

19TXLimited

Reaction score
This would work, but you would have to remember to turn it back off each time you left the truck.

Why turn it off when you left the truck? It shouldn't have any power running to that USB with truck off. Then when you got in start the truck up and toggle switch back n forth to "reset" the wireless carplay. At least that was my thought...I may very well be missing something here.

If I have issues with constantly needing to unplug and plug back in I will give it a try for everyone. Just ordered and no shipping notification yet.

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Don’t know if this is a bug or a feature, but it looks like the keypad lockout when moving is disabled with this adapter, so you can dial while in motion.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Why turn it off when you left the truck? It shouldn't have any power running to that USB with truck off. Then when you got in start the truck up and toggle switch back n forth to "reset" the wireless carplay. At least that was my thought...I may very well be missing something here.

If I have issues with constantly needing to unplug and plug back in I will give it a try for everyone. Just ordered and no shipping notification yet.
Got it, yes it could help as a replacement for having to plug/unplug. I've found that if the unit doesn't connect automatically after a remote (or any) start, I can select the Ram in the phone Bluetooth settings--sometimes many times-and it will finally connect.

I'm hoping a future software update will address this issue.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Got it, yes it could help as a replacement for having to plug/unplug. I've found that if the unit doesn't connect automatically after a remote (or any) start, I can select the Ram in the phone Bluetooth settings--sometimes many times-and it will finally connect.

I'm hoping a future software update will address this issue.
I haven’t tried it with remote start. It does do this with regular starts every now and again, where it will just sit there and not auto connect. Unplug/Plug does the trick. Assuming it’s a bug (it’s bluetooth not connecting automatically).

Also, I got my USB extension from AMZ and changed location. Much better then my original 3M solution:

AF6185C4-4DEA-4E8C-ABF6-65AE58908344.jpeg 103E4140-6EA6-423F-8381-49C99B8C82AA.jpeg 24716A5D-0765-4C93-9C98-A61EF34B8544.jpeg

stevestrike

Reaction score
What's everyone's aversion to just putting it here? (yes, I realize I haven't taken all the plastic off yet)
1587141564382.png

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Has anyone plugged it in to the jack in the arm rest? Seems like a great place to get it out of the way. I ordered a unit last week. I should have it tomorrow.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone plugged it in to the jack in the arm rest? Seems like a great place to get it out of the way. I ordered a unit last week. I should have it tomorrow.

That’s a power only jack - does not communicate with the unit, which you need.

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

grinch72

Reaction score
So I just got mine and did the update. Working flawlessly. Only annoying thing to me is that wireless CarPlay uses WiFi. Once I connect I can’t connect to the trucks built-in WiFi which is usually what I use when I drive. Oh well. I’d rather the wireless CarPlay I guess. Also something to note. I had to move the wireless network for the CarPlay adapter up in my list of WiFi networks otherwise the phone would choose another network, like the truck itself, first.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just found out my wife’s 2019 wrangler has a similarly located USB port, and CarPlay locked in when plugged there!

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So this thing works? I reached out to these folks who said the unit for the RAM isn't ready yet???
Yep, it works surprisingly well. RAM doesn’t show on the list of supported vehicles, but it does work.
Every now and again it doesn’t connect, but unplugging the dongle for a couple of seconds and plugging it back does the trick. Could be that it attempts to connect to my house wifi first.

Saints

Reaction score
I placed my order last night. How long did it take you guys to get it? Does it come straight from China?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I placed my order last night. How long did it take you guys to get it? Does it come straight from China?
Correct. Mine took about seven days.
I did spray Lysol all over it before and after opening it, just to be safe :oops:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
So this thing works? I reached out to these folks who said the unit for the RAM isn't ready yet???
They told me the same story about two weeks ago. Yet I'm seeing every one have a blast with the dongle in their Ram's. I ordered mine on April 9th and it is going to be delivered tomorrow.
I'm really looking forward to being wireless. Mu USB wire in a real pain in the azz. Many times it got "wedged" when closing the console slider.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
They told me the same story about two weeks ago. Yet I'm seeing every one have a blast with the dongle in their Ram's. Mine is going to be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to being wireless. That wire in a real pain in the azz. Many times it got "wedged" when closing the console slider.
You will like it. First thing you need to do is update the firmware.
Once done, you will see that it is very cool being able to keep your phone in your pocket or backpack and not having to connect/disconnect the cable every time you use the truck. Can’t wait for the 5G Uconnect to start showing up on the 2021s, as these will have OEM wireless CarPlay which should be even better.

nickplmr4

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out if it will work on Android without the cable

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out if it will work on Android without the cable
There’s nothing to figure out. This will only work with CarPlay.

For AA, you need the dedicated model they also sell:

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread