5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

BLB

Reaction score
So far every seal on every door has been replaced, Still have the tea pot morse code going on for an hour each direction to Tucson. I will say this, it will be my first and last Ram.

Last edited:

supercanadian

Reaction score
Had another trip (120km) , very windy was doing 80-120km/h no issues.

So far i am happy.

I did send a message to my dealership asking if they can provide what exactly was done / where, however, no response yet.

Sorry to bug you, any chance you could give them a ring and ask for details on how they fixed it? did it from the engine bay or under/remove dash? i would love to be able to share these details with my local RAM dealer to save them from ripping my truck apart. I would forever be in your debt if so.

MRGUD

Reaction score
You are not bugging / bothering me at all.

Just got response from advisor i am dealing with and he said:
"the bolt he tighten was below the wiper cowl, so underneath essentially. "

Dash was not removed.

They did not hear the noise much, so, they went to the system checked TSBs and did what was recommended there.

I am still not seeing this issue any longer.
Truly hope it stays this way.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I had the lower bed seal installed and had the dealer check the door seals and alignment. They kept my truck for 2 days and all they did was install the lower bed seal. The advisor told me they did a bunch of testing, but when I got my truck back it had only been driven 1.7 miles, so I doubt they did much of anything. Looks like it's on me at this point as the bead seal didn't do very much.

Reaction score
Awful quiet, anyone get anything done that may have fixed it? No loose bolts in my cowl. Has anyone successfully had Ram do anything to help the problem or anything? I'm so frustrated with this crap it is sad.
I did the 3/8 backer rod shoved behind the weatherstripping on the door like one user said and it fixed it. Drove it in the rain as well and haven’t had any leaking or anything.

Reaction score
Could you take some pictures? I'm ready to DIY this thing.

I used about 18” of backer rod

first photo just shows that it’s not causing the door to bulge out any.
2nd and 3rd photo shows the backer rod tucked behind the door weatherstripping.
Last photo just showing how the weatherstripping looks without pulling it back. You can see just sliver of the gray backer rod.

Attachments

• 451B06F9-CDEA-4886-973B-7571B1B472A1.jpeg
    451B06F9-CDEA-4886-973B-7571B1B472A1.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 196
  • 6A250781-90EA-426F-91E2-91E7ED39A279.jpeg
    6A250781-90EA-426F-91E2-91E7ED39A279.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 3B1D4C94-40A2-4BC7-B691-A3166F5DD839.jpeg
    3B1D4C94-40A2-4BC7-B691-A3166F5DD839.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 0BCEDC7C-04AB-4845-B7EA-5B7A49898279.jpeg
    0BCEDC7C-04AB-4845-B7EA-5B7A49898279.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 194

bonebro

Reaction score

Last photo just showing how the weatherstripping looks without pulling it back. You can see just sliver of the gray backer rod.
Nice! I didn’t put the backer rod on the door weatherstripping, I put it behind the body side weatherstripping. It has been working great for a few weeks. I’ve been thru the car wash multiple times and drove in 80 mph wind with excellent results! I’ll check into your door side install and see if it may be better, or if I can double up!
Here’s my original post : https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/may-have-found-the-open-door-noise-source.16265/post-246467

Last edited:

ZonaRam44

Reaction score

Thanks for the info and pictures! Where would I purchase the backer rod?

Reaction score
Nice! I didn’t put the backer rod on the door weatherstripping, I put it behind the body side weatherstripping. It has been working great for a few weeks. I’ve been thru the car wash multiple times and drove in 80 mph wind with excellent results! I’ll check into your door side install and see if it may be better, or if I can double up!
Here’s my original post : https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/may-have-found-the-open-door-noise-source.16265/post-246467
Nice! I might do the same

Dking

Reaction score
Today i noticed the same problem with my truck, for the first time, so sux!
2019 Big Horn.

I will report this to the dealership next time i go , in a week or so.
(Just afraid that i will hear the usual story ' cannot reproduce').

This is already like 4th thing i had to go in and even have my vehicle in overnight to fix some 'quality control / poor design' issues.
That is the response I've gotten and I've even brought in recording of the loud howling noise... basi telling .e I have to live with it. When you spend better than 50K on a truck you expect it not to have issues like this

RJS

Reaction score
That is the response I've gotten and I've even brought in recording of the loud howling noise... basi telling .e I have to live with it. When you spend better than 50K on a truck you expect it not to have issues like this
It's a ***** but get a roll of 2" 3M blue tape and start taping up areas where you think the noise is coming from. When you find it, show the dealer. I did that and found it in the sunroof. It was fixed quickly and the dealer was happy to know where it was. I guess they are not paid much to find it.

Reaction score
NICE! This will be my weekend project. Last question, did you add it all the way around the doors or only in strategic places?

Mainly just right through the curve of the door.
I do round trips to Houston 2 to 3 days a week and usually when I do I end up driving about 270-300 (115 miles 1-way) miles. So mostly highway at 82mph. No longer turning my music up just to try and drown out the wind noise. Took it through the car wash today as well and no issues.

Attachments

• 5B6C4EB2-72A1-4563-9248-0CBB8BC2CFB9.jpeg
    5B6C4EB2-72A1-4563-9248-0CBB8BC2CFB9.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 61

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I have a theory that I haven't tested but figured I'd put it out there. I know the cause of the noise is because the hvac system lets too much air into the cab. There is a door deep in the top passenger side of the dash that opens to let the hvac system either heat or cool that air, when recirculation is on that door is shut and the hvac system is using air from inside the cab. My theory is that the door up in the dash is letting too much air into the cab and it can't get out of the cab fast enough at higher speeds, so essentially its preasurizing the cab and some of the air is getting out through the front door seals or somewhere around there.

WHAT TO TEST-
When you hear the noise crack the rear sliding glass window maybe half an inch and see what happens. I wouldn't use the side windows because that will cause too much noise. If you have a sunroof you could try venting that as well.

I could be totally wrong but worth a try I guess.

I believe this to be true, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Luckily my issue is very rare, but I've taken a few long trips and randomly I would hear like some kind of trap flap/door opening and letting in wind for a few minutes, then i would hear it seal back up. It comes from passenger side, playing with the recirculation button would cause it to stop.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi Dking,

I apologize for the frustration associated with your ownership experience. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message, as we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support as you work with your dealer to address this.

Mark
RamCares

gseroka1

Reaction score
Try this to see if you have the same sound that I've figured out I have. When your driving on the highway about 100kmh change from recirc on the climate control and then back to fresh air. Mine completely goes away on fresh and I hear it on recirculating. Really strange....
Sounds like a gasket around the opening to the evaporator case because its pressurize and depresure rising the cab. They have to pull the whole dash out to replace it. Does the noise seem to come more from the passenger side

BLB

Reaction score

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread