5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Correct, but I was talking bigger street bikes.
I don't see a problem there either. I've seen plenty of street bikes in the back of 5'7" beds, unless you're talking about a bike with an abnormally long wheelbase.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to veer off-topic a little here, but why do we need to have a reason for driving a truck? Luckily for me we still live in a free (for now at least) country. Where we're free to choose what we want to drive. There are no rules that say you can't have a truck unless you want or need to do "truck things". My lady and I both drive trucks. We each have our own Ram 1500 Limited. Neither of us tows anything. And we almost never need to haul anything. I don't go off-road anymore, although I like to have the capability to do so. My reasons for driving what I drive are my own. I can afford to drive pretty much what I want, and what I want to drive at this point in my life is a truck.

since this is America, I can decide to live in excess or live within my needs and I didn't need a truck until recently and even then, it's my my primary vehicle because it doesn't have to be. People can do what they want and I choose to own, drive, wear, do what I need to do and little more. I certainly (in my head) **** on people for driving big rigs without anything being pulled behind it. I'm in that camp now but at least once a month, I'm using it as designed. every month, there's 1-2 bikes in the back so I'm using it for how it was intended. but again, this being America, I don't tell someone or write laws that would prohibit someone without a commercial need to own a truck. It's none of my business. I do the same for guy who by dirt bikes and don't ride them off road :p so I think it is necessary for you to have two trucks but just like it's a waste for me to have 60" of screen real estate for my computer monitors for work. It's excessive but I like it. We all make decisions like that every single day. We all don't need dishwashers but most of us have them.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate here but, there is something to be said for the excesses of western culture. There's people out there that would be happy for a decent pair of shoes, never mind anything with a motor, never mind a $70K truck that is being used for things that pretty much anything with a motor could do, and spend less resources (i.e. gas) while doing it.

Could maybe think of it like ordering a 40 oz porterhouse steak that you know you're gonna eat less than half of, but because of the cut of the meat, it tastes better. Rest goes in the garbage. That's wasteful, and the idea of taking something perfectly useable (i.e. the bed and/or towing capability of the truck) and rendering it useless is counterintuitive; it's more of an emotional standpoint to purposefully render something useless that has a use.

Could you get around in a Toyota Celica and take the $40-$50k you didn't spend on the truck, and buy a couple of cars for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to get a vehicle at all? Probably. Would that be an objectively better and more morally "correct" thing to do? Obviously I don't believe that, or that's what I would have done.

So don't get me wrong, I pretty much agree with you, this is our life, our time, our hard work, our money, our resources, our choice to do with these things what we will. But I can see the other side of the argument too.
Agreed, there are two sides (at least) to every discussion. I don't mind discussing why I choose to drive a truck. I just don't appreciate the implied judgement from some people (not point fingers at anyone), for not using a truck as a truck. Or people feeling the need to justify why they drive a truck to a forum full of complete strangers LOL. I think it's great that so many people choose to drive trucks, no matter why they chose to.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
since this is America, I can decide to live in excess or live within my needs and I didn't need a truck until recently and even then, it's my my primary vehicle because it doesn't have to be. People can do what they want and I choose to own, drive, wear, do what I need to do and little more. I certainly (in my head) **** on people for driving big rigs without anything being pulled behind it. I'm in that camp now but at least once a month, I'm using it as designed. every month, there's 1-2 bikes in the back so I'm using it for how it was intended. but again, this being America, I don't tell someone or write laws that would prohibit someone without a commercial need to own a truck. It's none of my business. I do the same for guy who by dirt bikes and don't ride them off road :p so I think it is necessary for you to have two trucks but just like it's a waste for me to have 60" of screen real estate for my computer monitors for work. It's excessive but I like it. We all make decisions like that every single day. We all don't need dishwashers but most of us have them.
I agree with everything you said except the dishwasher lol those things save you a LOT of time over the course of years of just standing there scrubbing (unless you like doing that for some reason), and time is the one thing you can never get more of.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, there are two sides (at least) to every discussion. I don't mind discussing why I choose to drive a truck. I just don't appreciate the implied judgement from some people (not point fingers at anyone), for not using a truck as a truck. Or people feeling the need to justify why they drive a truck to a forum full of complete strangers LOL. I think it's great that so many people choose to drive trucks, no matter why they chose to.
100% man, I'm with you. Especially about the justification part like, if you're that insecure about it, probably means your reason for getting a truck is something actually completely stupid (you want to look tough, fit in with other truck dudes, intimidate people on the road, etc.). You know, the vastly overblown but still occasionally true stereotype of overcompensation :LOL: .

JC4041

Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate here but, there is something to be said for the excesses of western culture. There's people out there that would be happy for a decent pair of shoes, never mind anything with a motor, never mind a $70K truck that is being used for things that pretty much anything with a motor could do, and spend less resources (i.e. gas) while doing it.

Could maybe think of it like ordering a 40 oz porterhouse steak that you know you're gonna eat less than half of, but because of the cut of the meat, it tastes better. Rest goes in the garbage. That's wasteful, and the idea of taking something perfectly useable (i.e. the bed and/or towing capability of the truck) and rendering it useless is counterintuitive; it's more of an emotional standpoint to purposefully render something useless that has a use.

Could you get around in a Toyota Celica and take the $40-$50k you didn't spend on the truck, and buy a couple of cars for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to get a vehicle at all? Probably. Would that be an objectively better and more morally "correct" thing to do? Obviously I don't believe that, or that's what I would have done.

So don't get me wrong, I pretty much agree with you, this is our life, our time, our hard work, our money, our resources, our choice to do with these things what we will. But I can see the other side of the argument too.

Wait so we're not supposed to buy X vehicle because someone else can't afford X vehicle?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait so we're not supposed to buy X vehicle because someone else can't afford X vehicle?
No not at all. But, you could theoretically buy Y vehicle for less than half the price of X vehicle, and use the money you didn't spend to buy two other people Z vehicles (who are currently taking the bus to work) cause that would be a very nice and generous thing to do.

I could have gotten almost 10K for my Mustang when I was ready to get rid of it, but I donated it to the American Cancer Society instead. Doesn't magically make me better than anyone else, just something different I decided to do.

I guess my point is, you may pretty much NEED Y vehicle because...you have to get to work to provide for your family. But you don't NEED X vehicle, you just want it. That's what I did (got X vehicle) so I certainly can't be talking out of both sides of my mouth here. But it is a choice you make, and like ANY choice you make, it should be a well-considered one, imho.

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
100% man, I'm with you. Especially about the justification part like, if you're that insecure about it, probably means your reason for getting a truck is something actually completely stupid (you want to look tough, fit in with other truck dudes, intimidate people on the road, etc.). You know, the vastly overblown but still occasionally true stereotype of overcompensation :LOL: .
1F0CADB3-8372-4B85-80F5-70A242EA749F.jpg

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't see a problem there either. I've seen plenty of street bikes in the back of 5'7" beds, unless you're talking about a bike with an abnormally long wheelbase.

Yeah I never understood the Fascination with being able to close the gate. Plenty of products on the market to where that doesn’t matter. I had used one of those dumb elongator tailgates for a while on my previous 6.5 bed
f962acbaeea71dfe3dfb96cfe5a71e24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick J

Reaction score
Any Harley Touring bike won't fit in a 5'7" bed without the rear wheel riding on the tailgate. I take my bike (Street Gilde) to Arizona in the winter. Here's a picture of it in my F150 with 6 1/2 foot bed. Haven't taken it with my 1500 yet thanks to the Pandemic. That's 20150118_102616 (Large).jpg 20150118_101504 (Large).jpg the reason I got the 6" 4" bed.

NRitland2

Reaction score
Love my 6’4 crew! Room, hauling! Lots of options

Users who are viewing this thread