5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here is NOT happy with their e-Torque system?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ordering a '23 there was no non etorqe option. Now that I have it I do like it. I think it is one of the best stop/start systems out there. But as stated living in the country mine gets little use.
It definitely is the best A.S.S system that I’ve driven

U

User_119824

I just got my '22 new off the lot a few weeks ago. No issues and getting 23MPG mixed driving w/auto stop start engaged.

Have a few mods but I believe the truck is mostly responsible for that number. I like the eTorque system. Yes it shuts down the A/C but it kicks back on as soon as cabin temps start to rise. This system, and this truck, are 5k times better than the 2018 F150 XLT I bought new with the 5.0L V8 that became a lemon at 6k miles. No more Ford anything for me.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got my '22 new off the lot a few weeks ago. No issues and getting 23MPG mixed driving w/auto stop start engaged.

Have a few mods but I believe the truck is mostly responsible for that number. I like the eTorque system. Yes it shuts down the A/C but it kicks back on as soon as cabin temps start to rise. This system, and this truck, are 5k times better than the 2018 F150 XLT I bought new with the 5.0L V8 that became a lemon at 6k miles. No more Ford anything for me.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way Ford uses the starter everytime the AS/S kicks off.

tomme12

Reaction score
I had my recall done in June for my 2022 Rebel for auto start/stop. Was there another update after this or since then? I feel like it needs one more tweak to make it right. It still has lag and not as smooth as I would expect it to be from a dead stop.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had my recall done in June for my 2022 Rebel for auto start/stop. Was there another update after this or since then? I feel like it needs one more tweak to make it right. It still has lag and not as smooth as I would expect it to be from a dead stop.
There was another 2 updates, but both got pulled (removed) when I gave the information to my dealership.
They said they had newer updates and TSB but they didn't tell me what it was, so maybe.

tomme12

Reaction score
There was another 2 updates, but both got pulled (removed) when I gave the information to my dealership.
They said they had newer updates and TSB but they didn't tell me what it was, so maybe.
Good to know. Maybe I will schedule an update

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I miss my first truck (2019 5th gen non torque). Hate my 2022 Longhorn with e-torture system. I do have a buyers remorse with this $75k truck since the regenerative braking is anything but smooth. It feels very sticky and unpredictable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I miss my first truck (2019 5th gen non torque). Hate my 2022 Longhorn with e-torture system. I do have a buyers remorse with this $75k truck since the regenerative braking is anything but smooth. It feels very sticky and unpredictable.
Same thing on my 22. I don't hate the regen breaking all the time, but it's pretty strong sometimes, and the other times it doesn't even seem to engage. When it does engage on flat ground i'm forced to keep giving my truck gas so I don't stop moving which obviously it not great...
100% worse mpg though since i'm charging a battery i'm not using. I wish the regen breaking would turn off when the 48v battery is fully charged.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those of you with the issues with Regen braking should really get your truck looked at - my 2021 Etorque Hemi has almost no noticeable regen at anytime and my Brother-in-laws 2022 pentastar Etorque also has no noticeable regen. Both of us had non Etorque trucks previous to these so would notice a difference if it was there.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
Same thing on my 22. I don't hate the regen breaking all the time, but it's pretty strong sometimes, and the other times it doesn't even seem to engage. When it does engage on flat ground i'm forced to keep giving my truck gas so I don't stop moving which obviously it not great...
100% worse mpg though since i'm charging a battery i'm not using. I wish the regen breaking would turn off when the 48v battery is fully charged.
I agree. I wish that there was a way to completely disengage the etorque system.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
Those of you with the issues with Regen braking should really get your truck looked at - my 2021 Etorque Hemi has almost no noticeable regen at anytime and my Brother-in-laws 2022 pentastar Etorque also has no noticeable regen. Both of us had non Etorque trucks previous to these so would notice a difference if it was there.
I did take it to a dealer. They had performed a TSB which seemed to make it worst.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I called my dealership last month and they said there were no more updates since the prior one mid 2022.

23RAM

Reaction score
We drove a 22 with e/Torque and while it worked well and was actually very smooth in operation, it's not a cost effective option. A couple of years ago the e/Torque addition was $3400 and a reasonable "greener" option. But today the inflated price of $8,910 (on the CDN Sport) for the feature is ridiculous when it can only save you $3,000 of fuel savings over 10 years of ownership - you never get your investment back. That's why we chose not to get e/Torque, it doesn't save any money in the long run and the "green-ness" of the feature is dubious. Just like a friend of mine who bought a Tesla. He thinks he's fully green with his rechargeable vehicle. Then I reminded him about the coal plant that generates the electricity to recharge his "green" vehicle.
:oops:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
We drove a 22 with e/Torque and while it worked well and was actually very smooth in operation, it's not a cost effective option. A couple of years ago the e/Torque addition was $3400 and a reasonable "greener" option. But today the inflated price of $8,910 (on the CDN Sport) for the feature is ridiculous when it can only save you $3,000 of fuel savings over 10 years of ownership - you never get your investment back. That's why we chose not to get e/Torque, it doesn't save any money in the long run and the "green-ness" of the feature is dubious. Just like a friend of mine who bought a Tesla. He thinks he's fully green with his rechargeable vehicle. Then I reminded him about the coal plant that generates the electricity to recharge his "green" vehicle.
Was the same price on a 2022, also it's not an option for 2023, it's the only option.

I don't think anyone got eTorque thinking it was "green" but I could be mistaken.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. It was $895 over the regular HEMI for me!

Mojoman

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 with etorque the day it was unloaded at the dealership. After 34k miles, the only warranty work I've needed was the et generator. It didn't fail, but started whining like a bad alternator. Replaced under warranty and fine ever since. I honestly don't see it being that useful, but not going to complain.

23RAM

Reaction score
Wow. It was $895 over the regular HEMI for me!
Prices have climbed at lot for this option, and it also varies on trim level. For comparison, on the 2022 Limited trim it's a $1,495 option.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I honestly do not see any savings with the e torque since my 22 Ram fuel economy isn't any better compared to my 19 Ram without e torque. I wouldn't pay a premium on this system hence Ram is not giving an option on MY23 onwards IMO

Users who are viewing this thread