5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here is NOT happy with their e-Torque system?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Seem like the 2023s will have the e-Torque system and curious what are the major complaints from owners (if any)?

Also for anyone in the southern states, how did the e-Torque manage through those hot humid July/Aug months?
Does the e-Torque system cut out the A/C unit?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm completely happy with mine. I don't disable auto stop/start because there is no reason. As far as AC, yes, it does shut it down, but as soon as the system needs it again, it starts the engine. If you have the AC on low, it will never shut off the engine. It only does it if you are using auto climate.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seem like the 2023s will have the e-Torque system and curious what are the major complaints from owners (if any)?

Also for anyone in the southern states, how did the e-Torque manage through those hot humid July/Aug months?
I'm coming up on 1-year anniversary and my ET has been flawless so far. No complaints.

It works fine in the AZ summer. The Autostart/stop doesn't work (by design) when the climate control is active in our summers. I suspect it wouldn't in the SE either.

Keezer

Reaction score
3 years in a few days, 2020 Laramie, no issues with ET or anything else for that matter (knock on brain housing group now that I said that).
Don't drive it much (road trip vehicle), do keep the battery on a charger 24/7.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I haven't had issues with the ET on my truck. AS/S really doesn't make much sense when the weather is: Very Hot, Very Cold, or Very Rainy, so mine is disabled most of the time :rolleyes:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes when start-stop is engaged the AC turns off. You get regular vent air which means depending on the climate it can be very humid.
You can turn it off, and get a cable for it to have memory after turning the truck off (that you left it off or on).

Not much you can do about it if you want a 2023 as you need to get eTorque. It's not the end of the world but it's also not amazing in any way.

KonaLaury

Reaction score
I have had no trouble with mine. I have seen people complaining about the auto stop feature but I really don't know why. In the time it takes to move my foot from the brake to the gas pedal the truck has already started.

Dewey

Reaction score
Hate it. The herky jerky when trying to do a quick stop and then accelerate sucks. Biggest bonehead move I ever did was order eTorque when I had a choice. My first instinct was to avoid it but my salesman bragged the system up and I caved. Never trust a salesman. I should know better.

Anyway.....my Auto Stop/Start stays off all the time disabled by my Tazer. Previously I used the AutoStop Eliminator from the first week I owned my truck.

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hate it. The jerky jerky when trying to do a quick stop and then accelerate sucks. Biggest bonehead move I ever did was order eTorque when I had a choice. My first instinct was to avoid it but my salesman bragged the system up and I caved. Never trust a salesman. I should know better.

Anyway.....my Auto Stop/Start stays off all the time disabled by my Tazer. Previously I used the AutoStop Eliminator from the first week I owned my truck.
That doesn’t sound like an etorque issue to me. Mine is smooth as can be

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I didn’t realize non-etorque trucks don’t have auto stop start? That’s only an etorque feature? Interesting! I keep it on most of the time, but if I’m in stop and go traffic I turn it off so the engine/ignition isn’t cycling on & off every few seconds

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going on 3 yrs with a truck with ET in Georgia. I disable AS/S on everything I own because imo it's a dumb feature. It's also very annoying in the summer here because the truck will get the cab to a nice temperature, shut down at a red-light and sometimes before the red-light changes it has to start back up. (That may have been changed with some programming in newer models. I've never had it looked at.)

As far as performance or complaints - I have none. I love it. I love the regen aspect and don't notice any jerky movements.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Almost one year with my eTorque and I do not experience any jerky starts or hesitation. I always use auto stop/start.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can search and find old threads asking this same question, but it’s good to do an updated survey from time to time too.

No issues for me in 4+ years (took delivery in early September 2018). As others have stated, it suits the Ram well. Start-stop is exceptionally smooth.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The auto start-stop works great in my 2022 Ram.
Auto start-stop as a feature is god damn terrible for me.

It depends in what part of the country you are in and exactly where you drive if you don't have stop lights where you sit for 3 minutes before moving its a waste of a system.

Anyone who says the truck is ready when you are going to give it gas it's just not true. If you drive slow its a fine system, but if you expect to go right when you change over you're wrong. You would never use start-stop when you are stopped trying to take a right or a left hand turn in between traffic, you would get hit pulling out.

Also if you put a nice exhaust on your truck you will sound stupid as it sounds like a cold start whenever it resumes.

But that all said, I feel like it's the best start-stop feature from any manufacturer I've driven.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who says the truck is ready when you are going to give it gas it's just not true. If you drive slow its a fine system, but if you expect to go right when you change over you're wrong. You would never use start-stop when you are stopped trying to take a right or a left hand turn in between traffic, you would get hit pulling out.
I disagree with this part. I never disable stop-start (unless I’m in Tow-Haul mode, which automatically disables it).

And I can chirp the tires while starting the engine (especially with the 3.92 rear end) if I’m too quick on the throttle. I proved this out when I tested the very first eTorque to appear on a dealership lot with the sales rep, and I wrote an article for 5thgenrams on this “back in the day”.

And the same is true of my truck today. My wife will give me a look if I hit the gas too quickly (accidentally, of course).

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no complaints about etorque in my 2021 and had a 2018 non-etorque before. In my experience the etorque is smooth as butter and I do not experience and of the delays on acceleration or regen on braking that I've seen others complain about. If there was no indication on the truck it had etorque I doubt anyone would know other than the fact the start/stop is so smooth and seemless. If you listen to the radio like I do you would never know start/stop was happening.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I disagree with this part. I never disable stop-start (unless I’m in Tow-Haul mode, which automatically disables it).

And I can chirp the tires while starting the engine (especially with the 3.92 rear end) if I’m too quick on the throttle. I proved this out when I tested the very first eTorque to appear on a dealership lot with the sales rep, and I wrote an article for 5thgenrams on this “back in the day”.

And the same is true of my truck today. My wife will give me a look if I hit the gas too quickly (accidentally, of course).
2 trucks at a stop light.
One has his engine off with start-stop and the other is idle.

The one with start-stop is left in the dust as he chirps his tires after the other truck has already gone.

Users who are viewing this thread